Skip to content

Spears and Shields

Is there a good reason why (all) spears are two-handed? One of the things that annoys me most about the BG series is that I can't equip both, a spear and a shield. This isn't an uncommon setup. From Greek hoplites wielding shields and spears or pikes to jousters with shields and lances, there are plenty of historical examples to show it can be effectively done. I would love to create a dragon-slayer type character, but it feels all wrong to have a spear without a rather sizeable tower shield. It's like heading out to work without your pants.

Comments

• Fiendish_WarriorFiendish_Warrior Member Posts: 309
    300 drove me crazy too at first until I accepted that it's just a movie, which creates fantasy worlds with their own internal logics that are not to be measured against the "real world" unless given justification to do so (i.e. "this is a true story"). I am fairly versed in ancient Greek history insofar as it impacted ancient philosophy (Rise of the Thirty Tyrants, the Peloponnesian Wars, the Persian Wars, the Anabasis, etc.) and am familiar with some aspects of Greek warfare. I absolutely love the utter confusion of the Persians upon seeing the Paean for the first time. And poor Pheidippides... Digression.... Sorry.

But those were just off-hand examples. I believe there are other examples of light one-handed, extensive spear use with shields. I've heard about Irish Spearfighters and Vikings using them, but that's out of my comfort zone and I could be totally wrong.

Regardless, when it comes down to it, you're right. It's fantasy and thus should be made possible. Obviously not anything should go, but...when I think about dragon slaying, I think shields and spears. *shrug*

Dirk the Daring has nothing on him.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    I think an adventurer could have a spear but they'd probably just use it for an edge in the first moments of battle either to throw or get an easy reach kill after which they'd drop it and draw a sword or something.
    Do you mean with a shield or are you suggesting a spear strategy wubble?

Sidenote: I had to laugh when I came across the Dragonslayer Spear. I mean...what kind of warrior goes into battle against dragons without a shield or a deathwish? Unless of course you're Conan, in which case you probably have as little care as Crom for your own well-being but more than make up for it by being the greatest of all time.
    Shield and spear.
    I agree on those approaches. It's more suited for an epic battle against monsters of unusual size than hordes of foot soldiers and humanoids.

Now that you mention it (throwing), I'm surprised they have throwing axes and daggers but not javelins. It might stretch the imagination wondering where one would be carrying all of those javelins, but no more than carrying 50+ throwing axes.

I should make "Machete" and carry nothing but daggers and throwing daggers.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    edited March 2015
    Come on guys, be fair to the devs. Real-world combat with real-world weaponry involves thousands of variations on exactly how a [insert-name-of-weapon-here] will be used. In order to model that accurately in the game, every variation would require a different slab of engine code to represent it and a different character animation to show it, each of which is a significant chunk of dev work to produce. I'm glad that the devs found the resources to model one typical way of using each weapon (or two in the case of axes, hammers and daggers) for so many weapon-types as we already have available in-game, and I'm sure the devs don't have the resources to model multiple styles per weapon-type.
  • st_live418st_live418 Member Posts: 41
    I might be wrong. But I believe there is a similar part of bg2tweaks(?) mod hat makes it possible to would bastard swords 1h. Bg2tweak(?)

I should think it might be possible to use their method to make spears 1hand. There might even be a 1h spear mod out there somewhere. So with a little tweaking you could have your dragonslayer yet!
    edited March 2015
    Don't misunderstand my post. I wasn't expressing disappointment with the devs at all. I absolutely love everything that has been accomplished. This was just a fun, good-spirited "that woulda been cool" post. By no means am I making a request or expecting anyone to care enough to change anything. It's like having a craft beer with your friends and saying, "That's too bad this doesn't have more of an earthier flavor for being aged." In no way are you expecting the brewmaster to overhear you and get to work.
  • st_live418st_live418 Member Posts: 41
    Agree wholeheartedly!

I think the craft beer metaphor won me over. I live in a craft-beer-crazy town that has more breweries than I can keep track of. I think there could have been an argument made at development to implement it even. Didn't mean to sound aggressive if I did.

I'm posting on my lunch break so I feel like I'm rushing through my words a bit, haha. Even back to your original post, I think it would have been awesome for it to just be standard.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356

It's like having a craft beer with your friends and saying, "That's too bad this doesn't have more of an earthier flavor for being aged." In no way are you expecting the brewmaster to overhear you and get to work.

Oddly enough, a couple of years ago, I was doing exactly that - enjoying a craft beer from a small commercial brewery with a couple of friends, and a couple of their friends whom I hadn't previously met - and it turned out that one of the friends-of-a-friend actually was the master brewer who had made the beer! And she (yes, she) did seem genuinely interested in detailed user-comment about the product.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Zulu mod with assegai? Sounds cool
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    One of the games I play besides Baldur's Gate is Titan Quest and that game features one-handed spears used together with shields. The spears are unrealistically large and unwieldy though, in Titan Quest's striving for epicness.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edit - I try to upload an image of my spear-wielding huntress, but the upload function doesn't work properly.
    edited March 2015
    I forgot all about Titan's Quest. That was a lot of fun but the replay value suffered due to the hack n' slash feel and the linearity. If it had retained its theme and setting but been more like BG in its open-endedness and style of play, it would've been near-perfect for me. While I grew up playing Gauntlet, I have little patience for hack n' slash these days. Gauntlet has a special place in my heart though for being deliciously sadistic. I mean...you awake in a dungeon with no explanation, finding yourself swarmed by demons, zombies, and ghosts coming out of portals. As you make your way through and teleport to lower and lower levels, the possibility slowly dawns on you...there is no hope for escape. You especially have to love the announcement of your impending doom by a voice that thunders overhead, "The warrior is about to die." It would be like taking Quantum Leap, marrying it to D&D, and sprinkling in the despair of Lovecraft. What a devilish machination.
  • FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    Yeah, the Brits at Isandlwhana should have protested to the GM that asagais can't be used when carrying shields.
    FrdNwsm said:

Yeah, the Brits at Isandlwhana should have protested to the GM that asagais can't be used when carrying shields.

I'm guessing that's where the Zulus kicked the c*** out of us, to be fair they had invented bulletproof shields before anyone else. How are we supposed to dominate the world when it's a fair fight?
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited March 2015
    Digression on Zulu War:

Empires tend to exaggerate the prowess and threat of enemies when they suffer an expected defeat, to excuse the setback and to gain greater political capital from future victories.

Bullet-proof shields? That sounds like a myth to me. If I remember correctly the British defeat in the Battle of Isandlwana occurred because:
    1) British troops were heavily outnumbered by a determined enemy.
    2) The British army was divided, allowing their enemy to attack sections of it piecemeal.
    3) The British army was in marching formation, and unprepared for an engagement.

So really the defeat occurred as a result of poor leadership as well as Zulu courage and prowess.

Where British troops were able to defend a viable position, they were able to defeat vastly greater numbers of Zulus, for example at Rorke's Drift. It's hard to beat guns with spears.

On topic:

I am no expert on Zulu martial techniques, but if the movies are accurate, it looks like they are basically light skirmish infantry with light/short spears, and use them almost like javelins. When I think "spear", I tend to think of heavy 7ft+ pole arms designed to pierce armour and take down cavalry. (Pikes are even longer).

I did suddenly remember a pretty cool depiction of a spear+shield fight in a movie, though as you can see, the spears are pretty short, and they both end up drawing swords...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ62frK74u0
    edited March 2015
    If Hector hadn't killed Patroclus, we would've missed out on this great fight scene.

Sidenote: You have to love how IMDB credits Homer with the writing!!!
    @Heindrich They dipped their shields in water which may have made them resistant to musket fire. not exactly sure if it's true or just something made we made up to give us an excuse for losing.
  • FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    edited March 2015
    The Zulu asagi (also spelled assegi) was used mainly as a stabbing weapon. The relatively short length allowed it to be used with one hand, permitting shield use as well.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    @atcDave afaik, heroic combat was indeed a thing, though typically it was not the sole deciding factor. Most battles weren't very organized, or at a substantial scale until Alexander. Persia had huge armies, but they were all individuals. China had some very large organized battles at a similar time too. By the time Homer was composing though, heroic combat was largely a bygone tradition for the Greeks.

One big issue with fighting with a bronze sword that is sometimes forgotten is that they bend and twist easily. Enough that fighting with one would be complicated, and a shield barer and spear boy were extremely important. The shield barer was mostly there to protect the warrior, and the boy was there mostly to pass weapons to replace broken/bent or thrown ones. If you think of each warrior requring ongoing maintenence, heroic combat starts becoming much more reasonable. Different cultures had different systems though, but many put much stock in a 'Champion', their best warrior. It was a huge morale blow if an enemy could beat your best fighter in combat, hence the Biblical story of David vs Goliath. If a single Israelite could defeat what was seen as the greatest warrior of all time, morale collapse was inevitable.

Many societies used variations of heroic combat after its original form was displaced; think of how medieval knights would trample peasant levies to get to one another, or how Samurai sought out 'equal' opponents to behead. Killing commoners or ashigeru was like a speedbump.

Metallurgy played a role too... remember bronze bends more easily? Well, Shorter swords could be made sturdier, and thrusting vs lightly armoured enemies would have likely bent bronze less, so spears used only for thrusting were reliable, and combination chopping/thrusting swords needed less in battle maintenence. Some armies did use bigger bronze swords, but you couldn't fight the same way with them. Until you could work with something sturdier than bronze, slashing weapons were pretty impractical. I would expect any one on one spear and shield fights to be extremely reliant on footwork though, as you would be vulnerable if you attacked. Those shields could probably tangle up a spear too, Ajax used oxhide for example. If your spear was caught, the counter attack would be deadly. Think of how Retarius gladiators, who used a trident in one hand often relied heavily on mobility. Still, eventually armies that did not rely on the spear as a primary weapon won out, so mechanically, spear and shield was not as effective. Romans carried and used spears for example, but the primary weapon of a legionare was his gladiua. Well, maybe his shield boss, but he used the gladius too.

Assegai used by Shaka were short handled usually, and had long spearheads capable of slashing, so this fighting style would be pretty different I wager vs Greek spears.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    The AD&D 1st Edition Player's HB list spears as doing D6 rather than D8. I almost wish there were two variants -- a Two Handed Spear and a Short Spear, or something of that sort. One can be used with a Shield but does less damage, one cannot.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    There's three types of spear in third edition: Shortspear, Spear, and Longspear. Shortspear is one-handed, Spear is two-handed, and Longspear is two-handed with reach.

Baldur's Gate models the Spear, which is two-handed without reach. Though you could make an argument that it's kind of like the Longspear, having greater reach than a longsword.
  • bhudspatbhudspat Member Posts: 13
    Unsullied fight in single combat with spear and shield... I rest my case lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.