Skip to content

Drow vs Mage

In original BG2 the fifth level spell sunfire worked against drow bypassing their magic resistance. In BG2:EE this has been changed and magic resistance now applies.

Does anybody know any effective strategies for mages vs drow? Are there any other spells that bypass drow magic resistance?

Comments

• SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited March 2015
    Space said:

In original BG2 the fifth level spell sunfire worked against drow bypassing their magic resistance. In BG2:EE this has been changed and magic resistance now applies.

Does anybody know any effective strategies for mages vs drow? Are there any other spells that bypass drow magic resistance?

Summoning creatures would be the most efficient tactic, and if you really want to kill a specific drow with your target spells, you can always use lower resistance on him/her. Melf's Minute Meteors along with other weapon spells should also help you.
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    You could also try AoE. Put Ice storm, Cloudkill, Incendiary cloud and a Deathfog into an area, and some of them will hit.
    edited March 2015
    Skeletal warriors, apply more skeletal warriors!
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    Summonings is the best way to deal with them, even if by the time you reach the underdark you should have lower resistance.
    Dragon Breath (HLA) does ignore magic resistance as well.
  • LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    Firestorm, Globe of Blades FTW ;)
    edited March 2015
    Lathlaer said:

Firestorm, Globe of Blades FTW ;)

What i wouldn't give for Globe of Blades on a mage :wink:

And M/C doesn't count! :smiley:
  • DregothofTyrDregothofTyr Member Posts: 229
    Are there any other mage spells that bypass MR besides Imprisonment and Dragons Breath?
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Comet also bypasses MR. Sames goes for Teleport Field and Fire Shield damage.
  • LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    Comet doesn't, at least according to my DLTCEP.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Stacking two fire shields to form a purple fire shield, and letting drows attack you in melee while you are protected from magical weapons is effective too. Just be sure to recast pfmw when necessary and move close to them so they will melee. They are formidable ranged fighters with magical bolts, as well.

A dragon disciple can lure drow into incendiary cloud while he himself is immune to fire damage, the drow will eventually fail their mr and burn to a crisp.

Melf's minute meteors is the most overpowered spell for its level, it hits anything, and is hugely damaging. I edit it to a mere +2 enchanted weapon that only has +2 to hit and does only 1-4 fire damage (no physcial damage) that does not ignore mr. (Ala pnp)
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Lathlaer: I just checked DLTCEP. Turns out the damage doesn't bypass MR, but the unconsciousness effect does.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Skull trap , magic missiles and abi dhalzim has a great chance of hitting them.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Summons. In the drow city you can have a mage fight drow mages in the pits. I sent Imoen in. She summoned some ogres...who stay after each match. Which meant that the ogres tore the drow mages apart at the start of each fight.

Magic resistance doesn't helped when you get crushed into goo.