Skip to content

[mod] Improved Cloak of Non-Detection.

TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
edited April 2015 in BGII:EE Mods
After reading this thread I decided to make the Whispers of Silence a much more useful item and better balanced for BG2:EE. The original function of the cloak is a bit misleading because of how the opcode works and it rarely protects you from anything at all. This mod will make the cloak protect you from all illusion removing spells including True Seeing, Oracle, and Detect Illusions. It will still be beaten by a thief's Detect Illusions skill but I could change that if I so choose.

To install just extract all the contents of the zipped folder into your game's directory (the same one with the chitin.key file) and run the setup-ImprovedNonDetectionCloak.exe file. From there just follow the on screen instructions.

This mod was designed for BG2:EE but should work in BG1:EE just as well, only you won't likely notice the impact of the mod since almost no one dispels illusions in that game.

Link to download.
Post edited by Tresset on

Comments

• DragonMasterDragonMaster Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2015
    Can you make an Android compatible version?
    Post edited by DragonMaster on
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    @DragonMaster It should already be android compatible.
  • DragonMasterDragonMaster Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2015
    Tresset said:

@DragonMaster It should already be android compatible.

But I can't launch this setup on Andriod. And I don't have PC version of BG2 to install there and copy result on my tablet.
    @DragonMaster In that case you should be able to install it by dropping the Clck06.itm file into your override folder. You won't get the item's description update but it should work regardless.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I think it is just fine the way it is and no more OP than the Cloak of Mirroring.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    I don't think this mod is unreasonable or anything, but I don't understand why people think the cloak's usual form is so useless. I agree that it's useless in BG1 and for classes that can't use stealth, but for a Thief/Ranger/Monk in BG2, the ability to stay hidden through True Sight frequently makes a big difference.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    I dislike jumping into the discussion nearly a month late but that is what I get for not being here in months.

I improved the cloak by adding Protection from Spell Type (opcode 250) with a spell type of 5 for divination attack. It is moderately humorous to watch certain people cast True Seeing over and over to no effect.
  • OnoxOnox Member Posts: 23
    Tresset wrote: »
    After reading this thread I decided to make the Whispers of Silence a much more useful item and better balanced for BG2:EE. The original function of the cloak is a bit misleading because of how the opcode works and it rarely protects you from anything at all. This mod will make the cloak protect you from all illusion removing spells including True Seeing, Oracle, and Detect Illusions. It will still be beaten by a thief's Detect Illusions skill but I could change that if I so choose.

To install just extract all the contents of the zipped folder into your game's directory (the same one with the chitin.key file) and run the setup-ImprovedNonDetectionCloak.exe file. From there just follow the on screen instructions.

This mod was designed for BG2:EE but should work in BG1:EE just as well, only you won't likely notice the impact of the mod since almost no one dispels illusions in that game.

Link to download.

Hi, thanks for the mod, but I have just tried to install it and it fails :( In the console I get this :

[C:\Program Files (x86)\Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition\Data\00783\setup-ImprovedNonDetectionCloak.exe] WeiDU version 23700

** ERROR ** [SETUP-IMPROVEDNONDETECTIONCLOAK.TP2] not found.
    Make sure that you have unpacked the archive correctly and
    that you are not trying to run this file from inside an archive.
    Press ENTER to exit.

Contents of SETUP-IMPROVEDNONDETECTIONCLOAK.DEBUG :

WeiDU v 23700 Log

C:\Program Files (x86)\Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition\Data\00783\setup-ImprovedNonDetectionCloak.exe

** ERROR ** [SETUP-IMPROVEDNONDETECTIONCLOAK.TP2] not found.
    Make sure that you have unpacked the archive correctly and
    that you are not trying to run this file from inside an archive.[./chitin.key] loaded, 847191 bytes
    [./chitin.key] 186 BIFFs, 60118 resources
    [.\weidu.conf] loaded, 17 bytes
    [.\lang\en_us/dialog.tlk] loaded, 11591903 bytes
    [.\lang\en_us/dialog.tlk] 103065 string entries

WeiDU Timings
    load TLK 0.000
    loading files 0.000
    stuff not covered elsewhere 0.016
    unmarshal KEY 0.031
    unmarshal TLK 0.078
    TOTAL 0.125
    @Onox It installs just fine for me. You likely extracted the files incorrectly. Make sure that both the "setup-ImprovedNonDetectionCloak.exe" file and the "ImprovedNonDetectionCloak" folder are in your game directory (the same one that has baldur.exe and chitin.key).
  • OnoxOnox Member Posts: 23
    Tresset wrote: »
    @Onox It installs just fine for me. You likely extracted the files incorrectly. Make sure that both the "setup-ImprovedNonDetectionCloak.exe" file and the "ImprovedNonDetectionCloak" folder are in your game directory (the same one that has baldur.exe and chitin.key).

Thank you :) I had unzipped it elsewhere and had not seen the folder
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    My call on this cloak is that it should indeed protection from every divination spell, but only if you are using non-magical invisibility, which means Hiding in Shadow. And the Detect Illusion ability from thieves should still work. This would not break balance, except maybe in the particular Shadowdancer=>Mage dual.
  • SkaroseSkarose Member Posts: 247
    edited June 2016
    I am a sad, still detected ninja. Maybe the non-detection is working on my weidu installer... :(

I just updated my BG2EE and successfully installed the 'Unofficial new items' mod. (It's the first mod I installed and then I tried the 'Non-Detection' Mod and the the 'Tweaks' mod and I get the same failure with both. It's a real shame, since I've never had a problem with a weidu mod before :(

*Update Uninstalled 'Unofficial Items', then installed 'Tweaks', 'Item Upgrades', "Non-detection" and finally 'Unofficial' last and that seemed to do the trick! Happy Ninja! :blush:
    Post edited by Skarose on