Skip to content

Is there a way to get a permit to cast spells in Athkatla?

How did these low lives get one? Because i notice Shagbag didn't draw the attention of the Crowley Mages, when he casting. And i had to tell Edwin to attack melee only.

kcwiseRavenslight

Comments

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Yes.

Talk to Cornelius in the Government District.
    kcwisejoluvRavenslight
  • VasculioVasculio Member Posts: 469
    edited March 2015
    Heindrich said:

Yes.

Talk to Cornelius in the Government District.

The bhaal spawn is a fighter. Does the main character have to be a mage to get the permit?

UPDATE: Its doesn't matter what class the bhaal spawn is... but its a 5000 gold fee.

Ravenslight
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Its a 5000 fee or

You can keep killing them and eventually they send their strongest wizards. If you beat those guys they give up.
    [Deleted User]VasculioDJKajuru
  • VasculioVasculio Member Posts: 469
    So theres is a limit to them after all... interesting...
  • MykraMykra Member Posts: 252
    If you do Minsc's quest in Unfinished Business you also can gain the permit for free for (accidentally) helping the Cowled Wizards out.

I honestly don't like how every Mage in the city can cast except for you. The very first time I played BG2, I expected there to be a cut-scene showing a few CW's dooring in and blasting some bandits to hammer home this is a poor-mage-free zone.
    VasculioJuliusBorisov
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    @Mykra You're free to use magic when bandits ambush you between districts. Except for those encounters, how many times do other mages cast spells outside in Athkatla? I guess there's the Neera cutscene, and Xzar casts a spell right before he dies. Any others?
    Vasculio
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I don't think it's too surprising a group of bandits would break the law against magic. As for why the Cowled Wizards don't swoop in on them, it's entirely possible that the law against magic isn't usually enforced so quickly and violently. Maybe the Cowled Wizards only swoop in on YOU because of your involvement with the incident in the Promenade. They'd be sensitive to any activity in the Promenade directly after that, hence their appearance if you cast magic right out of Chateau Irenicus, and by the time you finish your deal with Gaelan Bayle, word could have reached the Cowled Wizards that you had some connection to Irenicus and Imoen, hence their appearance right after you enter the Slums. So maybe you get singled out because of how you entered the city. They're keeping a special eye on you.

The real explanation is probably an engine limitation thingy, but inconsistent enforcement, and a double standard for the suspicious newcomer, you, could be an in-game justification.

The Cowled Wizards don't detect spells cast underground, or even indoors sometimes, at least not without SCS2. Maybe the Cowled Wizards can't be bothered to detect magic in every single corner of the city, same way the police don't put cameras in every house.
    FinneousPJ