Skip to content

Looking for someone who purchased an early copy of Baldur's Gate sometime around launch or early 99

comradeseancomradesean Member Posts: 2
I'm documenting two different versions of the game and I'm trying to determine which came first. If anyone has a copy they can verify was an early release, I have a few questions I need to ask you. Thanks

Comments

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Are the questions top secret? We on the forums may have the answer without having to install and check.
  • comradeseancomradesean Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015
    Sure, I just need to figure out the following:

-I need to know the lettering on the inner silver ring (and maybe the inner clear ring) of the back of the first disc. (This is an identifier for the distribution plant they shipped their gold disc out to. There were two afaik.)

-Approximate or exact date purchased if possible. (12-24-1998 appears to be the first day people started getting their copies according to newsgroups.)

-I'd like to know what sound system is advertised on the back of the box next to the GameSpy logo. (This appears to be a visible identifier between versions, but I don't know which came first.)
    ex: http://imgur.com/dgqmRnI
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    Earliest version I had (well, my Dad had, actually) was a copy of Baldur's Gate and Tales of the Sword Coast, and was on 6 discs (5 for the game, 1 for the add-on) - it was before DVDs. The discs were in a cardboard wallet-type thing, and after a few years, were so badly scratched that they were no longer playable. It came with a paperback manual, which contained instructions to run the game, the relevant D&D rules, and lore about the region, all written in the style of one of Volothamp's guides. it also had a huge fold-out map of the city of Baldur's Gate itself.

This was some time in 1999, because I went to uni that September, and first had a go of it when returning home over the christmas period. We don't have it anymore, sadly, as the discs stopped being usable about 10 years ago.
  • The_Potty_1The_Potty_1 Member Posts: 436
    Yup, I got a box bigger than your average university textbook, and without TotSC. I had to steal/borrow my brother in law's copy of TotSC, which I still have. It's all at home, so I'll check tonight and report back.
    edited March 2015
    So, big brown box, cardboard sleeve with disks marked 1/5 to 5/5, manual, no map, and there never was one.

Anyway, first off, absolutely no gamespy logo. However, next to where it isn't is an 'Environmental Audio by Creative' logo.

It gets worse. The inner ring is dyed the same brown as the CD itself. No lettering at all, back or front. So probably older than this gold edition you're looking for.

EDIT oh right, mine's a european copy, that might be why it's different as well.
    Post edited by The_Potty_1 on
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    I thought they came with a map, but only showed baludr's gate. It's been a while since I had my discs though.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited March 2015
    I had BG on floppy disks. The UK edition did not come with a paper map. This must have been before 1995, since I remember playing it in a flat I left that year.
    Hm. Well I played BG on a Burroughs B26 off a tape drive in 1989, so there :p

Wait, I'm guessing you meant 2005 not 1995? Would you like to phone a friend, or ask the audience?
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    No, it must have been 99, but my memory is playing tricks over where I was living.
    OK I'm calling bullshit. BG shipped on 4 or 5 CDs, lets say 4 for the sake of argument, and even if they're only 3/4 full on average, that's 500Mb each, 2Gb in total. Floppies held 1.2Mb, stiffies 1.44Mb, so we're talking 1700 floppies, or 1400 stiffies. That would make a tower 4m (12 feet) high.

http://www.techrepublic.com/pictures/how-many-floppy-disks-would-it-take-to-equal-1-gigabyte/12/
  • MaconaMacona Member Posts: 70
    edited March 2015
    Yeah, I had the UK version and it came on CDs and included the paper map. (I remember the map looking different though)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited March 2015

OK I'm calling bullshit. BG shipped on 4 or 5 CDs, lets say 4 for the sake of argument, and even if they're only 3/4 full on average, that's 500Mb each, 2Gb in total. Floppies held 1.2Mb, stiffies 1.44Mb, so we're talking 1700 floppies, or 1400 stiffies. That would make a tower 4m (12 feet) high.

http://www.techrepublic.com/pictures/how-many-floppy-disks-would-it-take-to-equal-1-gigabyte/12/

For the record it shipped in 5 CD's.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Yes the original came in five and later on when they released it as the "Saga" it came in three CDs. Which I have. I have, I believe, every American released format there is of the Infinity Engine games. I'm a fan like that.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    I know my boxes are gone and I can not find my discs atm as they are packed away... somewhere.

I wouldn't be much help though since I have two copies. I guess I could attempt to decifer he older one by the amount of scratches but I wouldn't be sure.