Skip to content

Level down the price for Brazil

Hey pals, it's me again... no, it's not Imoen... :)!

So, i'm here to state sad history:

When IWD EE was being released, my country started and economic crisis, the Ratio between Dollar x Real (Brazil coin) was about $1 x R$ 1,78 more or less.

I choose to wait the crisis to go away and now... the ratio is $1 x R$ 3,12... so the game that cost $ 19,90 for me would be R$ 62,08. It's not a really heavy price (for my social class at least), but the same IWD EE is being sold on Steam by R$ 36,99. In fact this is the stock market price, cos in real price to purchase dollars i would pay even more.

So what i'm asking here, is a country discount in reason of our peculiar and problematic economy problem. if i pay Steam price or near it's price to Beamdog i would really prefer, as i would like to link my IWD EE to my Beamdog account.

I will understand if that's not possible, still it's a valid request.
HeindrichJuliusBorisovMoradinDJKajuruAedanCrevsDaakbooinyoureyesKenji

Comments

• dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    So, yet another poor soul stuck in the slimy, grubby paws of capitalism. I'm sorry, comrade. Workers of the world, unite!
    But seriously, I doubt it would happen. Hope for a sale sometime soon, I guess. I really feel for you, because IWD is a great game. If feasible, you could forego the EE and buy the original off of GOG for a bit less.
    JuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704

So, yet another poor soul stuck in the slimy, grubby paws of capitalism. I'm sorry, comrade. Workers of the world, unite!
    But seriously, I doubt it would happen. Hope for a sale sometime soon, I guess. I really feel for you, because IWD is a great game. If feasible, you could forego the EE and buy the original off of GOG for a bit less.

Question of offer and demmand, i have an accessible demmand on steam, i just prefer to buy directly from beamdog, it's their call however.
    dockaboomskiCrevsDaak
  • ameliabogginsameliaboggins Member Posts: 287
    edited March 2015
    temp solution....buy original off ebay and do all the patches/mods yourself.

IWD EE doesnt have that much extra content, added by beamdog.

The reason I like it is am lazy and cant be botherd patchin in all the mods from the net!

didnt realise the bric econi,ies are strugglin, is this downturn caused by oil or something else?
    FinneousPJ
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I guess it comes down to policy. I'm assuming Steam just sells a game based on the price the game was (according to that currency) at release. I assume Beamdog just sells games using the US dollar.

For Beamdog to go with Steam's model would probably be fairly involved. So if I were you I'd just buy it from Steam.

The reason I like it is am lazy and cant be botherd patchin in all the mods from the net!

didnt realise the bric econi,ies are strugglin, is this downturn caused by oil or something else?

I have the original, played it a lot (not like Baldur's gate II however, where i have easly more than 100 runs from begin to end). I just want to taste the new IWD:EE.

I will probally do it @Elminster, but first i prefered to ask Beamdog if they would make a special offer for a country in moment of instability.

Brazil issue is an political issue. I will give my opinion here (and believe, it's not the most popular, neither its better or worst than others interpretations of the scenario).

The main fight in 2014 presidential elections was Dilma Rousseff (PT with projects and ideology of government focused on miserable classes) x Aécio Neves (PSDB with projects and ideology of government focused on the bourgeois class). That alone would be solution, not a problem, we have a social government, but isn't that simple...

Every government is corrupt, some are more and others less. That's apply to Brazil, EUA and any other contry.

The political moment on my country in 2013/2014 make it's judiciary power to become more agressive against corruption, we have effectively put in jail high politicals involved with grand schemes of corruption that not only were involverd with the politica party in power at the moment, but some were even exercising their mandates.

All that was possible by the sum of a more active moment of Brazil cizitens, an more agressive judiciary (as told before) and the economic/political interest of the high private powers of the country, as for example the the media of Brazil that is monopolized by huge companies that have a certain degree of interest in undermine the credibility of the actual government.

With that, much of the shit of PT, the political party in power (our president is from it) come forth to daylight, they're not more or less corrupt than other political parties, just more incompetent on cover their shit and keep low profile (along with a much more serious scrutinity from the country media). However, this is the political party with the best projects to the miserable classes, what made the reelection of Dilma Rousseff possible, as votes on Brazil are determined one by one (unlike EUA were districts vote to determine the state vote and the same for districts/states if i'm not wrong).

Now, unhappy with the results of the election, the middle class started to be even more politically agressive and movments of radicalism, suggesting extreme solutions (impeachment for example) are on the street.

Ok, i give a glimpse of the political problem, but where this interfere on the economy (much, cos of course this unstable political scenario would evidently harm our economy)? To undermine the government, the opposition knows no bounds, and a lot of corruption was discovered on Petrobrás, our most profitable public company.

It's even fun the level of uprising given to Petrobrás, when at the same time we have HSBC, an outside company that help their high customers to divert tax incomes almost 10x the value of the bribes that shocked so much the people. This subject is barelly touched in fact.

To compromise the government credibility, instead of provoke investigations to give an internal soluction to these spots of corruption (as i said, our judiciary is highly active, that would be easly possible) the opposition prefered to throw shit on the fan, releasing confidential documents and giving international repercution to the issue. That fucked our biggest company that has the monopoly of Brazil Oil exploration and thus throw us in the actual economic crisis.

Now the Dollar that was very well balanced to Real (Brazil coin) in the past with an ration alike $1 x R$ 1,60/1,70 now turned to a ratio of $ 1 x R$ 3,14. It's a matter of time to things to be restructured, but until then that's the actual shit here.

JuliusBorisovproccoCluas
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    I *believe* on gog.com the prices are always measured in USD and unaffected by the state of your regional currency. IWD:EE is available there.
    elminsterkamuizin
  • VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
    Does Beamdog allow gifting games yet? If so, is it possible for me to buy a copy on US soil to gift someone from Brazil?
    Varwulf said:

Does Beamdog allow gifting games yet? If so, is it possible for me to buy a copy on US soil to gift someone from Brazil?

Beamdog has allowed gifting games for years.
    Troodon80CrevsDaak
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Calmar Yeah, that's the problem.
    elminsterCalmar
    elminster said:

Varwulf said:

Beamdog has allowed gifting games for years.
    Hmm... I remember talk some time ago about adding that feature, perhaps I was thinking of another medium.
  • saoxsaox Member Posts: 104
    Man, this request is super weird. Of course things cost differently depending on where we live and it is not possible to equalize it, nor should it be equalized. But at the same time I feel for you, because the price has changed visibly in front of your eyes :).
    edited March 2015
    saox said:

Man, this request is super weird. Of course things cost differently depending on where we live and it is not possible to equalize it

Except what he is getting at is that Steam sells the game for considerably cheaper in his case because of the different approach to how a games price is determined. So its not like its totally impossible to address this.

That said I don't think what he is suggesting is necessarily feasible for Beamdog given its size.
    It's not a weird request, in fact STEAM function this way for a long time in fact. The promotional events there are normally area affected, but 2 things to consider here IF this area discount even come to be used.:

1° - Ppl abusing an possible area discount (as is done a lot in steam).

2° - amount of interested customers.

Clarifications:

1° - Gift purchase should be disabled for an area discount purchase, otherwise it can be used for people outside the area discount (an Brazil person buy the game and gift it to someone else outside the area of the promotion).

Also an one time DRM should be placed here (i really dislike DRM and that's not Beamdog politicy, but here's an exception). Check the area IP in the first time the game is installed (where that download is going on) if that's inside the promotion area, then just register that, otherwise (i) refunds and cancel the purchase or (ii) notify that person to complete the payiment to the normal value under risk of cancel and refund.

2° - If i'm the only one interested in this, it would be hardly of interest to beamdog to go to this level of work (however i would love even more the company if i got this kind of attention). An market research to see if an discount in the price would bring more customers could be made. Facebook, aknowledge game sites and discussions in the very forum could help with that.
  • IchthyicIchthyic Member Posts: 89
    another issue with oil as a large part of Brazil income, is the same issue EVERY country for the last several months that sells oil has had.

OPEC has dropped the bottom out of their prices, and that has had huge impacts globally.

some say the reason they did it was because of the Americans competing with them for oil exports because of the boom in the oil shale/fracking industry in the US, some say it was partly in order to curb Russian expansionism in the oil market.

whatever the real reasons, could be all, everyone who depends on oil exports is suffering.

it will smooth itself out some once OPEC stops playing this game.

I think, normally, the Americans would be putting a lot of pressure on them to bring prices back up, but since it's undercutting the Russians at the moment, they seem conflicted about what to do.

really though, they should haven been pushing for prices to go back up, because ANYTHING else really hurts long term American interests. But long term interests do not seem to be on the American's agenda any more it seems.

good luck over there, I know all of SA could use some right now.
    edited March 2015
    Ichthyic said:

another issue with oil as a large part of Brazil income, is the same issue EVERY country for the last several months that sells oil has had.

OPEC has dropped the bottom out of their prices, and that has had huge impacts globally.

some say the reason they did it was because of the Americans competing with them for oil exports because of the boom in the oil shale/fracking industry in the US, some say it was partly in order to curb Russian expansionism in the oil market.

whatever the real reasons, could be all, everyone who depends on oil exports is suffering.

it will smooth itself out some once OPEC stops playing this game.

I think, normally, the Americans would be putting a lot of pressure on them to bring prices back up, but since it's undercutting the Russians at the moment, they seem conflicted about what to do.

really though, they should haven been pushing for prices to go back up, because ANYTHING else really hurts long term American interests. But long term interests do not seem to be on the American's agenda any more it seems.

good luck over there, I know all of SA could use some right now.

This may be keeping Petrobras from recover from the problem, but for us the begin started politically.
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    edited March 2015
    Ichthyic said:

It has nothing to do with OPEC. It's the general market that has determined the price of a barrel, not them. And the general market has been dropping the price because there is simply too much oil available at this time. It's about supply and demand, and there's not enough demand for the available supply at this time, due to various factors. A big one being the US using fracking to extract more oil than they used to. They are now oil exporters, whereas they used to be importers, because they have so much of it. The only thing OPEC can do to influence the value is to restrict production, which they are not willing to do.

mashedtaters
    edited March 2015
    Belanos said:

Ichthyic said:

It has nothing to do with OPEC. It's the general market that has determined the price of a barrel, not them. And the general market has been dropping the price because there is simply too much oil available at this time. It's about supply and demand, and there's not enough demand for the available supply at this time, due to various factors. A big one being the US using fracking to extract more oil than they used to. They are now oil exporters, whereas they used to be importers, because they have so much of it. The only thing OPEC can do to influence the value is to restrict production, which they are not willing to do.

yes, it has everything to do with OPEC. Obviously, you haven't been paying any attention to the news in this area at all over the last year.

example:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-02-10/iran-s-heavy-crude-price-set-at-3-66-bbl-discount-for-march
    Belanos said:

Ichthyic said:

Offer and demand can be controlled in this point, oil don't perish, so the producioners could simply stock the production for a while and take the offer from market. I don't think oil business can go simple as offer and demand.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    There's a politics thread over on the off topic section.
    elminsterCrevsDaakJuliusBorisovbooinyoureyes
    edited March 2015
    It reminds me of a time when I bought the Command & Conquer Pack on Origin because it was 50% off in the US. I told a buddy of mine to get it, but not only was it not 50% off in his country it was actually 33% more expensive than the normal price in the US.

Solution? I signed into his account from my Origin, used his credit card details (saved on his account) and bought it for him that way.

In cases like that I think it's pretty stupid to have such different costs, especially if we want to play a game together, but yeah, I get the reason behind it in certain situations, it's just extremely inconvenient.

To be fair as well, Origin doesn't offer gifting games as far as I am aware and it certainly didn't back then.
    CrevsDaak
    ^^lol. excellent.
    booinyoureyesJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
    It's probally not possible but... @Dee, can you foward this request and give me a brief of the possibility of this? I will hold the purchase on Steam until then.

Another question is, to whoever brought BG or IWD on Steam, does mod install there is ok, easly or hardly?
    CrevsDaak
    kamuizin said:

It's probally not possible but... @Dee, can you foward this request and give me a brief of the possibility of this? I will hold the purchase on Steam until then.

Another question is, to whoever brought BG or IWD on Steam, does mod install there is ok, easly or hardly?

Should be fine. If you are installing the game on windows then the install folder is just a little different (and kind of a pain to get to). It would be something like

Program Files/Steam/Steamapps/Common/Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition.
    kamuizinCrevsDaak
    edited April 2016
    Sorry for the necopost, but i had to say, with the price in $20,00 to buy on beamdog, i bit of regret not getting all baldur's gate games on STEAM.

Steam: R$ 36,00
    Beamdog: $20,00 ($1 ~= R$ 3,50) R$ 70.00

And that's even the commerce dollar, not the turism value.

:neutral:
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    I fail how Steam selling it for less OR the Brazil currency inflating is Beamdog's problem...

I fail how Steam selling it for less OR the Brazil currency inflating is Beamdog's problem...

Indeed, it's my problem. But guess what: From whom you think i will buy? And less sales ARE beamdog problem as they receive evidently less from sales with third parties.