Skip to content

The Archer Dilemma

Say your Ranger kit - Archer has already maxed out all his archery skills (GM in bow, max pip): he's a god with the bow basically.

Would you switch him to a melee weapon (which he has only a one slot proficiency in) during close encounters so as to negate the close range penalty, or would you have him move away and shoot from afar? What about for creatures with high resistance to piercing and/or missile damage like skeletons and such: do you switch to a blunt weapon or continue barraging them with arrows (albeit with penalty to damage)?

The reason I'm asking this because unlike other characters/kits who can reach a high proficiency with a bow as well, the Archer kit primarily favours the use of the bow. So I'm wondering if anyone has tested this or has knowledge about this. Thanks!

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Getting the Boots of Speed would probably make it easier to run and shoot more. If I had those I would usually do that. If forced into a close combat I would definitely switch to melee. The short range shooting penalty not only reduces your thac0 by 8 but it also boosts your attacker's thac0 by 4 which is bad all around. For damage resistance I would switch to melee if it was more effective, unless I really wanted to not be attacked by whatever it was that I was shooting at. Just being a warrior will make your archer at the very least capable at melee combat, perhaps not the killing machine they are at a distance, but it should usually be enough to get the job done.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Archers can only get one pip in melee weapons, but he can get up to three in dual wielding and if you focus on just one handed weapons he can get a number of proficiencies making his melee skills shallow but broad, meaning he'll be able to pick up and use basically anything and wield two of them and have a good THAC0 doing it. Ideally he'll be shooting stuff but if he needs to wade into melee he'll be very effective at it. Sometimes I'm lazy and I don't even bother but it's almost always the better choice to switch over.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    I'd want my pips to look like this (roughly in order):
    Shortbow*****
    Crossbow*****
    Two Weapon Fighting**
    1 handed blunt weapon* (mace, hammer or club assuming the best flails are being used by another party member)
    Staff* (for staff of the ram + whirlwind attack)
    Two handed weapon style*

An Archer dual wielding Hammers (or something) is only +1 att, +2 dam and +1/2 APR behind other warrior types so not missing a whole lot really.
  • Fiendish_WarriorFiendish_Warrior Member Posts: 309
    edited March 2015
    You have to take into consideration style of play. With an archer, you're pretty much abandoning solo campaigns unless you want to use meta-knowledge and / or unorthodox strategies. As an effective archer, you don't want to be caught in the thick of battles. Instead, you want to adopt the role of support, opting for one or, ideally, two melee fighters. Your fighters will absorb blows and run interference while you mow enemies down. You can also use a little stealth (a la quasi-sniping) to deal some damage at first strike, but your primary mode of combat should be keeping your distance by using melee-oriented allies to prevent enemies from closing the gap. Melee for an archer should be treated like housework for men...don't do it unless you absolutely must.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    An archer with strength bonus is still threatening at high levels.

Imagine, let's say, Kivan as an Archer: Dual wielding two normal long swords at level 9 , with 2 pps in two weapon :
    He would have 3 attacks per round, his thac0 would be 9/11 , causing 4-10 damage , not counting magical bonuses to attack and damage he'd have if these swords were magical.

In conclusion, archers can fight in close combat if necessary.
    edited March 2015
    But you only get one pip in your weapons. It's still not "bad", but it's far from desirable as a primary form of combat.

I just like my bonuses if I'm going to primarily fight, but in this case, it's like rolling with a Blade without its benefits. In addition, you can't quickly switch over to two-weapon if an enemy closes the distance without opening your inventory.

I think it's a terrible idea to dual-wield an archer as a base form of combat (because there are *much* better alternatives and it defeats the purpose of the archer's perks) but it's cumbersome to have to switch to melee (since there's no quick and easy way to do it without opening your inventory). The best bet is to treat it as a last resort and avoid having to do it as much as possible in the first place (by basically throwing other fighters at your enemies while you stay in safe range with the bow).
    Post edited by Fiendish_Warrior on
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Wowo said:

Shortbow*****
    Crossbow*****
    Two Weapon Fighting**
    1 handed blunt weapon* (mace, hammer or club assuming the best flails are being used by another party member)
    Two handed weapon style*

An Archer dual wielding Hammers (or something) is only +1 att, +2 dam and +1/2 APR behind other warrior types so not missing a whole lot really.

You have the follow-up game in mind, this is the BG1 subforum. No 15 pips, best flail, staff of the ram or whirlwind available.

You should do either crossbow or shortbow. The two best ranged weapons in the series are a shortbow and a crossbow. So pick whichever you prefer and run with it, that'll save you five pips to spend elsewhere.
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    Kilivitz said:

What I would do is: start with 2 pips in your primary ranged weapon and use the other 2 points in Single Weapon Style and a one-handed melee weapon of your choice.

Every now and then you'll find an enemy who's immune to your arrows, or something will get past your frontliner(s) and attack your archer. That's when you pull out a sword out on the sorry bastard(s).

I choose Single Weapon Style and one-handed weapons over dual-wielding because I don't like having to go to the inventory in the middle to combat to switch back and forth between ranged and off-hand weapons. I also prefer the -1 AC bonus over the extra attack.

No, an Archer doesn't hit as often and/or as hard as a dedicated frontliner. However, as other people have put it, he/she's still a warrior with decent THAC0 and (possibly) exceptional STR. If you can make a decent supporting melee fighter out of a Cleric or a Swashbuckler or a Blade, of course you can do that with a Ranger whose only offensive drawback is that he/she misses specialization.

Archers are awesome, definitely one of my favorite kits. They are also natural scouts (not going beyond studded leather and all), which means I can focus on maxing out other skills on my Thief (this works for me because I don't use backstabbing a lot).

I totally agree with you about the going to your inventory to change out a weapon, that is just way too much of an annoyance, but "I also prefer the -1 AC bonus over the extra attack." this bit is pure maddess, -1 AC is pretty meaningless while a extra APR makes a significant improvement in a characters fighting power.
  • johntyljohntyl Member Posts: 397
    thanks guys for all the tips and discussion.

I just rolled a 97 on my Archer last night after 2 hours of rerolling and I am pretty happy with him. Regarding my Archer's pips, I do know that the best bows in BG2EE are crossbows and shortbows, but I heard that in BGEE, the best bow is a longbow, so I actually choose upon character creation:

longbow** (because I figure I could always max out crossbows and shortbows in future)
    long sword* (my character is an elf and has a natural inclination with long sword)
    single weapon proficiency* (for the increased AC at the beginning)

Am I heading in the wrong direction considering I want to go over to BG2EE?
    With my current pip, will I be able to GM both shortbow and crossbow in BG2EE?

thanks!
  • TomarctusTomarctus Member Posts: 49
    Even if you stick with longbows, there are some pretty good options in bg2 for that. Dont let the powergamers dissuade you from having fun with longbows =). The longsword is a good option as a sidearm with a few nice options to use in both games.

After completing gm in longbows, you will have 8 points left to spend till the end of bg2, so gm in both would be hard unless you gave up gm in longbows. Although I do see the fun in being able to handle a lot of ranged weapons, it is certainly not required.
    @johntyl As long as you reach level 30 and don't use pips for anything else, you can achieve GM for both.
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    off-topic: would you call someone who uses a crossbow an archer? or is there a separate term?
    Crossbowman is a term, as is arbalester (heavier crossbow), but I would caution against using the latter lest someone mishears "molester". That just can't end well for anybody.

Wowo said:

Shortbow*****
    Crossbow*****
    Two Weapon Fighting**
    Two handed weapon style*

You have the follow-up game in mind, this is the BG1 subforum. No 15 pips, best flail, staff of the ram or whirlwind available.

For BG1 I'd still go with Shortbow as there isn't a big gap between shortbow and longbow in BG1 and ranged is so strong in bg1 that you'll still obliterate everything as an archer if you go with shortbow or crossbow (or even darts!).

In bg2 ranged begins it's decline and there is a huge difference between the best available shortbows and the best available longbows. Crossbow becomes an important utility weapon due to the unique uses of the Firetooth bow (which you can buy out of the gate).

Longsword missed the point of a melee weapon for an archer - you want blunt as the whole point is to be able to hurt enemies who are resistant to piercing. Any blunt weapon will do but if you prefer not to change weapons in the inventory screen then hands down I would go for 1 in staff and 1 in two handed weapon style. Very strong staves available in both games and you can stand behind your tanks and swing against enemies as needed.

That said, it's a game and do what is most fun for you but just consider that the unique weapons that will change the game don't come until bg2 and don't come in the longbow variety.
  • JoshBGJoshBG Member Posts: 91
    In BG:EE, the stat. difference between the best short bow and the best longbow is 1 THACO/1 point in damage(opinions on "the best" may vary).

The practical difference lies, however, in the fact that you can get a good(the best?) longbow a lot earlier, especially if you decide to explore the whole available map before advancing the main story.

So, "longbow in BG:EE and short bows/crossbows in BG2:EE"? Well, it's still not clear. People often say that "until you get the Gesen, you should stick with Longbows, because they are better", but they forget about the Tugian Bow. This little bow is a beast(watch out for your arrows, though, as they tend to... magically disappear :smiley: ), and it's very easy to get.

Sadly, there isn't much practical(RP is another story) sense in using Longbows in BG:EE and BG2:EE both. You can get a Short bow +1 as early(and cheaply) and it will work adequately until you get the +2. I'd even say start with Crossbows, save money for the Light Crossbow of Speed(or whatever it's called right now) and start to put pips into Short bows later. You'll get the best for your buck in both BG:EE and BG2:EE(Light Crossbow of Speed, Firetooth and Gesen).

The "Longbows and Short bows" split is stupid to begin with, by the way, is there a mod to combine them back into the "Bows" category?
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    JoshBG said:

In BG:EE, the stat. difference between the best short bow and the best longbow is 1 THACO/1 point in damage (opinions on "the best" may vary).

The reason why people say Longbows are a bad investment is because arrows with enchantment over +2 are somewhat scarce, even during ToB. This can potentially gimp your Longbow Archer considering the most powerful enemies can only be hit by +3 weapons or better.

For shortbow users there's the Gesen Bow, which is +4 and requires no ammunition.
    JoshBG said:

The "Longbows and Short bows" split is stupid to begin with, by the way, is there a mod to combine them back into the "Bows" category?

BG2 Tweaks* has a component which restores the original BG1 Proficiency system.

It can make the game easier because spending one pip makes you proficient (or better) with 2 or 3 weapons at the same time, but even so I still find that system to be much more sensible than the one currently in use.

* don't be fooled by the name, it's totally compatible with BG:EE
  • JoshBGJoshBG Member Posts: 91
    edited March 2015
    Kilivitz said:

The reason why people say Longbows are a bad investment is because arrows with enchantment over +2 are somewhat scarce, even during ToB. This can potentially gimp your Longbow Archer considering the most powerful enemies can only be hit by +3 weapons or better.

I know, I'm arguing that the "start with Longbows, finish with Shortbows" idea for the trilogy isn't a good idea. :) True, +2 in dmg may come in handy earlier in the game, but the price isn't worth it
    Kilivitz said:

BG2 Tweaks* has a component which restores the original BG1 Proficiency system.

It can make the game easier because spending one pip makes you proficient (or better) with 2 or 3 weapons at the same time, but even so I still find that system to be much more sensible than the one currently in use.

I'd like it to be only for bows, because the basic techniques for bows are exactly the same, their length doesn't matter. The rules got it right with STR requirement, I think(but there are recurve shortbows with such a poundage that will make the eyeballs leave their orbits, too :smiley: )

Throwing axes fall into "Axes" category. However, if you know how to handle an axe, it doesn't automatically mean you can masterfully throw it. Just an example.

JoshBG said:

Throwing axes fall into "Axes" category. However, if you know how to handle an axe, it doesn't automatically mean you can masterfully throw it. Just an example.

I imagine that a warrior's training with an axe (or dagger) could cover both wielding and throwing, so IMHO it's not a big deal. I would be more bothered by something like "Thrown Weapons" that cover both daggers and axes because they seem to be two completely different techniques, like pitching a baseball and a football, you know? But I digress.

I don't think you can apply that effect to Bows only without some heavy editing of that mod component.

I guess you could always use EEKeeper to give yourself an extra pip to cover both Bows whenever you gain a proficiency point. But that's not a very elegant solution, not one I would go for, anyway.
    edited March 2015
    Wowo said:

Longsword missed the point of a melee weapon for an archer - you want blunt as the whole point is to be able to hurt enemies who are resistant to piercing.

That makes a lot of sense. My choice has more to do with flavor - I imagine Archers as more dexterous, Legolas-type characters. It makes more sense to me that they'd wield lighter/faster weapons in melee, long swords being the heaviest.
    You can buy a really good (probably equal to the "strongest") crossbow as soon as you have the money in BG1. The Army Scythe at the Blacksmith in Beregost. http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Light_Crossbow_of_Speed Give that to an archer spec'd out on Crossbows.
    edited March 2015
    Wowo said:

Wowo said:

Shortbow*****
    Crossbow*****
    Two Weapon Fighting**
    Two handed weapon style*

Longsword missed the point of a melee weapon for an archer - you want blunt as the whole point is to be able to hurt enemies who are resistant to piercing. Any blunt weapon will do but if you prefer not to change weapons in the inventory screen then hands down I would go for 1 in staff and 1 in two handed weapon style. Very strong staves available in both games and you can stand behind your tanks and swing against enemies as needed.

If you can stand behind your tanks to swing against enemies with your staff, would you rather not use a bow then since you have a tank to create distance between the Archer and enemy? I agree with you that blunt weapons should be used against enemies like skeleton and such, but what about normal enemies? I am more curious though, in the scenario in which you have no choice but to use melee to negate the close range penalty, which weapon and style would you use if you are an elf (with a bonus to longsword)?
    CaptRory said:

You can buy a really good (probably equal to the "strongest") crossbow as soon as you have the money in BG1. The Army Scythe at the Blacksmith in Beregost. http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Light_Crossbow_of_Speed Give that to an archer spec'd out on Crossbows.

Is that the strongest bow (among long, short and crossbow) in BGEE?
    @johntyl It's probably tied for strongest crossbow with the big advantage of +APR (Attacks Per Round) which means other misc. bonuses count for more, like triggering the archer's special ability or wearing fancy gauntlets.

There are a limited number of "Best Weapons" and you can have as many as six people in your party. Many NPCs are restricted to slings or slings and darts (Clerics and Mages for example). Not many NPCs come with crossbow proficiencies so you're unlikely to "steal" it from an NPC that can use it. And one of the two best ranged weapons in the next game is a crossbow.

The light crossbow of speed may not be the absolute best of all ranged weapons in BG1, but crossbows as a group have a number of advantages if you take a wider view and the LCoS is certainly a powerful weapon.
    edited March 2015
    johntyl said:

Wowo said:

Wowo said:

Shortbow*****
    Crossbow*****
    Two Weapon Fighting**
    Two handed weapon style*

If you can stand behind your tanks to swing against enemies with your staff, would you rather not use a bow then since you have a tank to create distance between the Archer and enemy? I agree with you that blunt weapons should be used against enemies like skeleton and such, but what about normal enemies? I am more curious though, in the scenario in which you have no choice but to use melee to negate the close range penalty, which weapon and style would you use if you are an elf (with a bonus to longsword)?
    I already said. The THAC0 bonus for elf isn't a huge deal on a warrior with exceptional strength and the biggest priority is to have a blunt weapon for skeletons.

As someone who doesn't mind inventory swapping on the rare occasions that a melee weapon is required I would dual wield the best available blunt weapon class.

In BG1 this might be Morningstar assuming that Stupifier and Ashideena go to another character.

In BG2 it would be fine to continue with Flails (The Sleeper and Wyverns Tail). Club can work too (which gives a +3 option in SoA). A pip in Staff when available too for a +4 weapon (Staff of Rynn) or just to use Staff of the Ram when WA becomes available (Two Handed Weapon Style when HLAs are available).

If you don't like inventory management then just stuck with staff. Staff of Striking is the most damaging melee weapon in BG1 for the rare times that a melee weapon is needed.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited March 2015
    JoshBG said:

Yes, BG2 Tweaks has a component to "restore BG1 proficiencies, with weapon styles". I always use it, because I think the BG2 proficiency system is silly. Why would an archer who can use a longbow with skill not be able to use a shortbow? That makes no sense to me.

The same applies to many other of BG2's odd weapon splits. You can hit an opponent with a mace but not a club? A shortsword, but not a dagger? Any way, I don't want to take the thread off-topic, but the answer to your question is yes.

JoshBG said:

Yes, BG2 Tweaks has a component to "restore BG1 proficiencies, with weapon styles". I always use it, because I think the BG2 proficiency system is silly. Why would an archer who can use a longbow with skill not be able to use a shortbow? That makes no sense to me.

The same applies to many other of BG2's odd weapon splits. You can hit an opponent with a mace but not a club? A shortsword, but not a dagger? Any way, I don't want to take the thread off-topic, but the answer to your question is yes.
    I kind of like the current proficiency system albeit it being slightly tedious. Compared to current one-size-fits-all, no-brainer RPG games like the disastrous Diablo3, I find this system fun because it requires one to plan in advance, to deliberate, to have foresight if you will.

To be pedantic, we are talking about warriors here immersed in an ever-present encroaching danger where every inch of skill in your weaponry matters. Difference between a short and long bow? The elasticity of the bowstring, the length and recoil of the bow, et cetera you get my flow, perhaps the culmination of all these little things and nuances matter when you have to put an arrow right into the exposed gap between the two impenetrable scales of a red dragon.
    edited March 2015
    @johntyl The problem with the original Baldur's Gate Weapon Proficiency System and the Baldur's Gate 2 system that's been adapted for the Enhanced Edition is that the first game is based around having interchangeability between the weapons.

An example would be helpful:

There are a number of bastard swords with extremely focused uses. Not enough to make bastard swords a good choice on their own but without them you can find yourself having a harder time on what might be the hardest fight in the game. Technically a Fighter Class has good enough THAC0 to just pick it up and smack people with it, but in the original game that didn't much matter because iirc Longswords, Bastard Swords, and Two Handed Swords were all in the same proficiency and most of your fighting characters would have had at least a couple pips in using those.

Currently I sometimes add Bastard Sword Proficiency to characters with Longsword Proficiency with EE Keeper just to balance it out a little as the original game had intended.
    CaptRory said:

@johntyl The problem with the original Baldur's Gate Weapon Proficiency System and the Baldur's Gate 2 system that's been adapted for the Enhanced Edition is that the first game is based around having interchangeability between the weapons.

An example would be helpful:

There are a number of bastard swords with extremely focused uses. Not enough to make bastard swords a good choice on their own but without them you can find yourself having a harder time on what might be the hardest fight in the game. Technically a Fighter Class has good enough THAC0 to just pick it up and smack people with it, but in the original game that didn't much matter because iirc Longswords, Bastard Swords, and Two Handed Swords were all in the same proficiency and most of your fighting characters would have had at least a couple pips in using those.

Currently I sometimes add Bastard Sword Proficiency to characters with Longsword Proficiency with EE Keeper just to balance it out a little as the original game had intended.

Bastard Swords are a strong weapon choice for a non-fighter warrior who can use multiple weapon types. I think this is one of the strengths of choosing a paladin or a barbarian (for example) and taking this away from them affects the fighter vs warrior balance (which is generally in favour of grandmastery anyway).