Skip to content

More Spiderweb goodness on ios

proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
I just saw Spiderweb Software is finally bringing their (well, his) Avernum 2 remake to ipad on April 15th. I'll have to add it to my list of games to get to.
I'm a pretty avid ipad rpg gamer, now that there's some pretty fantastic games available. Between the EE's and the soon to be 5 Spiderweb games alone I've got plenty to keep me busy on my long commute every day. And please, no platform war. For me personally tablets are the preferred way to play these old-style RPG's.

Has anyone played Avernum 2 on PC or Mac yet? I'd be interested to hear your impressions of it. I played the shit out of Avernum: Escape from the pit and the first Avadon game. I probably put 80 hours into Avernum 6 but still haven't finished that sucker, and have only played a bit of Avadon 2, but liked what I did play.
HeindrichCrevsDaak

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    :/ I was hoping to see something more like this...

proccoCrevsDaakKamigoroshi
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    I tried the original Exile 2 way back in the day, But I was a young kid and ragequit after getting repeatedly owned in the early game lol...

I love the grand plot of the entire trilogy from Avernum 1-3, but I've only played Avernum 3 repeatedly, partly because I found the whole setting of the underground world rather grim and depressing. Wandering around on the surface in Avernum 3 is so liberating in comparison! (Even if it was burning down...)
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    @Heindrich I can definitely see that. I really loved Escape from the Pit. It is a little grim, but there's enough goofy stuff and just straight up exploring (holy crap is there a lot of exploring!) to keep it fun. The Avadon games to me are a lot heavier feeling. They don't seem to have quite as much of a sense of humor about them, so they feel more "interesting" than "fun." Which is totally ok too.
    Unfortunately, Spiderweb has pulled Avernum 2 from the App Store.
    http://spiderwebforums.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/21512-why-we-are-no-longer-developing-for-the-ipad/#entry282635

I was quick on the draw and was able to get it for iPad before it got pulled, and haven't updated to the latest iOS. The game is really fantastic. It is available for PC and Mac, and I highly recommend it. The graphics, as with all of Spiderweb's games, are not its strong point, but everything else is great. Interesting storytelling, deep character customization, challenging combat, and more exploration than you can shake a stick at. The game world is MASSIVE and so much fun.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    I remember playing the Spiderweb games when Avernm was "Exile". I played it along with "Realmz" (another game that needs an update, Stat) and later their Geneforge and Nethergate games.
    procco
    I've dabbled with the Geneforge games a little but haven't gotten very far. I love the Avernum games, though. It's the ultimate "explore the cave" adventure...the whole world is a cave!
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @procco Yes. I started playing with Exile, which allowed six characters versus the new Engine's four. The first game was humans only, then they added Sliths and Nephilim (which, incidentally, are named after the hybrid children of angels and humans in the Bible).
    I saw that all the Exile games are free downloads now. I've only played the newer remakes, and the first Avadon game ( which I liked but wasn't as in love with it as Avernum) but maybe I'll try out the Exile games as well to see how different they are.
    It is a shame Jeff Vogel won't be developing for tablets anymore. These games are such a natural fit for touch screens.