Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 998
    @Wise_Grimwald - Silke is surprisingly deadly. I have had a few runs end relatively recently to her. It seems no matter where my PC stands, he always gets hit multiple times with that bolt. If you can't blind her, then electricity resistance of some kind certainly seems to be in order if you fight her.
  • DracoqwertyDracoqwerty Member Posts: 36
    edited August 2020
    Here's my first no-reload run attempt after previous attempts with a similar party died to the SCS chessboard and a FMT solo attempt died to three crits in a row from an Ankheg (Guess 53 hp isn't enough).

If you are solo, consider using the protection from acid scroll from Thalantyr. @Alesia_BH used that all the time - it makes soloing ankhegs considerably safer. There's nothing else to do with the scroll anyways.

Thanks for the advice on the Ankhegs, definitely a good thing to consider in the future. I probably also should have killed Caldo/Krumm for the belt of crushing so that I wouldn't get hit by non-critical hits.
    Another interesting occurrence; Dorn actually died in the Senjak/dorotea ambush, that's the first time I've seen that in non-LOB runs.
    xrflsku2rua6.jpg
    Also, oh no, I just gave Armok Rancor, he can now kill Nimue if enraged.
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,857
    edited August 2020
    Can anybody inform me what the problem was that disabled me against the last sirine. I looked at her "Information," and there was nothing there. No loss of intelligence as I have had in the modded game. She was apparently affected by two spells and one of them was perhaps stun, but the information page didn't say so. Rigid thinking or confusion perhaps?
    xzw8w1eearo0.jpg

The battle was like watching paint dry!! Just as well that she had plenty of health points before it started.

It does show how much more powerful a party is than a solo character.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    If you survived that encounter after being disabled you were lucky! I think the sirines apply both a feeblemind and confusion effect - though the latter is pretty irrelevant as there's almost no chance that someone will be immune to feeblemind, but not confusion. To survive long enough for the effect to wear off, you need good AC (to cut down on the number of times you're hit), decent HPs (to survive the hits you do take) and good saves (to avoid being affected again by something that had previously affected you).
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I remember sirines have some sort of effect on hit. Could it be stun or hold? I rarely pay attention to it to be honest.
  • CharlestonianTemplarCharlestonianTemplar Member Posts: 855
    edited August 2020
    Wow! My install this time has quite a few differences and I am not sure where they come from. Mostly just new monsters that I haven't seen in BG before,e.g., Goblins and Goblin Shaman's instead of Xvarts in the caves beneath the Gnoll Stronghold; Orcs on the Coast Way Road; Brigands and Bugbears at the Bandit Camp. I know all these monsters from my D&D days and I like them, just don't know what I did to get them in there unless they're part of my latest basic EE install, or maybe DSotSC.

Also, some battles are a lot more challenging. I use SCS but I don't ever the tactical challenges, just smarter mages, priests, basilisks, better calls for help, etc. I killed 175 Kobold Commando's which can be a pain for even a 3rd-4th level party usually it's more like 40-50). Same with the Hobgoblins near the lighthouse - there were bunches of them. Also, the spiders at Spider Wood and the traps - much more challenging. Almost lost Angmar there.

Any one have any idea after looking through my mods installs?
  • CharlestonianTemplarCharlestonianTemplar Member Posts: 855
    Grond0 wrote: »
    'Long-life challenge' - bard {4} (hour 4)

Bard L10, 70 HPs, 225 kills

I like the addition of the Bard song/tale. Very nice brother.
    edited August 2020
    Wow! My install this time has quite a few differences and I am not sure where they come from. Mostly just new monsters that I haven't seen in BG before,e.g., Goblins and Goblin Shaman's instead of Xvarts in the caves beneath the Gnoll Stronghold; Orcs on the Coast Way Road; Brigands and Bugbears at the Bandit Camp. I know all these monsters from my D&D days and I like them, just don't know what I did to get them in there unless they're part of my latest basic EE install, or maybe DSotSC.

Also, some battles are a lot more challenging. I use SCS but I don't ever the tactical challenges, just smarter mages, priests, basilisks, better calls for help, etc. I killed 175 Kobold Commando's which can be a pain for even a 3rd-4th level party usually it's more like 40-50). Same with the Hobgoblins near the lighthouse - there were bunches of them.

Any one have any idea after looking through my mods installs?

Pretty sure that it's DSoSC. I used to have them in my install. I'm trying unmodded currently, but that will be one of my mods when I revert back.
    edited August 2020
    Grond0 wrote: »
    If you survived that encounter after being disabled you were lucky! I think the sirines apply both a feeblemind and confusion effect - though the latter is pretty irrelevant as there's almost no chance that someone will be immune to feeblemind, but not confusion. To survive long enough for the effect to wear off, you need good AC (to cut down on the number of times you're hit), decent HPs (to survive the hits you do take) and good saves (to avoid being affected again by something that had previously affected you).

I agree. I was lucky! The battle went on for ages, with the sirine once in a while delivering two hp strikes. I did have a particularly strong character but if I'd been wearing the belt that protects from crushing then I think that I would have recovered much quicker. I think that the hits caused the stun to start again. I'm NOT going to investigate that. The battle wasn't enjoyable, but at least I survived and have now reached the level cap!

I am just playing core so that could be one reason for my survival, plus the fact that all but one of the sirine were dead. I had taken Corey's advice from a previous run to protect myself from poison. I was wondering if other buffs have helped.

I suppose that any buff to make me stronger might have shortened the battle enough to prevent me getting hit in the first place: potions of heroism, immunity, strength and the like.

I always have a difficulty at this stage. Part of me wants to carry on solo, and part of me wants to pick up a party.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,830
    Can anybody inform me what the problem was that disabled me against the last sirine.

Sirine melee attack: 1d2 crushing damage, save vs death or feeblemind and confusion for 25 rounds. Note that these states don't remove AC protection, so you can survive quite a lot of attacks with good armor.
    In my current run, I had my protagonist (melee fighter/thief) charmed and Kagain feebleminded in a sirine fight; Kagain survived, outlasting the charm with his full plate and shield.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    Joniren wrote: »
    Back to the Site: Laryssa managed to cast Hold on Slayer, but I moved him out of her sight in time, so she didn't follow (she actually had 75% casting failure at the point of casting).
    @Joniren unfortunately the spell failure effect only applies to arcane casters - divine ones like Laryssa just shrug it off.

Doomsayer is annoying because he is immune to ranged and poisions, so my usual tactics of hit and run were ineffective against him and dagger of poison was a subpar choice of a weapon, but using staff Slayer's AC was too high.
    If you nip in and out with a fast melee weapon you can often get an attack in before an enemy can retaliate. A staff is good for that as it has a reach of 2 (dagger is bad as it has a reach of 0 and the opponent therefore has a much better chance of attacking you as you withdraw). The +3 staff from Ulgoth's Beard is particularly good at this tactic with its weapon speed of 0.

I read the scroll of protection from magic and got to work on sirines. Midfight with the second group he got feebleminded by a lonely siren, but sirens hits were puny and did not dent his large hp pool. Also HUD showed Slayer was under protection from the scroll , so I wasn't worried. Fortunately he was lucid enough to keep hitting the siren and she eventually fell under the trusty staff.
    I think this is one of the rare instances I posted about earlier where you were protected against the feeble-mind effect (by the PfM scroll), but affected by the confusion (that's coded as a non-magical attack and therefore ignores the scroll). You need to watch out for enemies that have non-magical special attacks (like basilisk gaze or demon / dragon fear and use some other form of protection than a PfM scroll against those.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,830
    Joniren wrote: »
    My usual tactics while fighting were hit and run with a shortbow + 1, but I consider swapping this to axes or throwing daggers. It would be perfect if I could find a retrning throwing axe or a throwing dagger + 1 (also returning) somewhere in the beggining.

There are no magical throwing daggers whatsoever in (unmodded) BGEE. There's a returning +1 in SoD, but that's it.
    With throwing axes, your magical choices are the non-returning ones Taerom sells or the +2 returning axe you find in chapter 6.

Throwing daggers are fine for the vast majority of enemies which don't require magical weapons to hit - they're weightless, they're cheap, they get strength bonus damage, and you can harvest lots of them from the respawning skeletons at High Hedge. You just need that alternative on occasion.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Just stopped by to check in on the community's progress! I just added @Corey_Russell's Jeanluc the paladin, @Mantis37's Adorar the druid, and @Flashburn's Blaggard and the Blackguard to the Hall of Heroes. Congratulations, and well done!

Corey_Russell and Mantis37, I'm missing a starting post for your two runs, so if you give me a link, I'll add it to the entries.