Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,837
    edited July 2021
    For a change, I ran a solo conjurer who was level 3 upon meeting Silke. She killed Garrick along with two of those that she wanted me to kill when casting lightning bolts. I thought that I was going to survive until killed with a magic missile. Obviously should have had shield memorised in preference to armour. A short but sweet game. It made a change from my normal games.

I did a second run with the same character, I put the ankheg near Tenya to sleep and took it to "Near Death" It awoke, saved when I cast another sleep spell --- Death. :(

In the third run the ankheg saved the first sleep spell. :'(
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
    AerakarEnuhalArviaMantis37
    @Gate70

I'm wondering what the green item is in Oswig's pack. It looks a bit like a wyvern/dragon. I'm guessing it's for summoning wyverns but have never seen it before. A mod item?
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,815
    I think that's a familiar. One of the evil ones; they all have that appearance in the inventory.
    Grond0Gate70
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    jmerry wrote: »
    I think that's a familiar. One of the evil ones; they all have that appearance in the inventory.

Yep - Nimbul provided the ability for Oswig to boost his HPs a bit.
    Aerakar
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 995
    edited July 2021
    @Gate70 we should use surprise attacks whenever possible to take advantage of our strengths. I suppose we should let Surely use his spells from out of sight while we thieves hide so he can actually cast something lol.
    Gate70
    If you want to take the time to establish them, then dancing summons or fire elementals can both act as decent tanks to allow the backstabbers to get to work >:).
    Gate70Corey_Russell
    edited August 2021
    From the meaningless changes department:

So I dusted off my all ranger run and was in Firkraag's lair. Beamdog made a change (long ago I think) that the iron golem can get through the doorway shown below. In vanilla, it was too big. So what do I do now? I have the party stand where the air elemental spawns on the bridge. Then one character gets the iron golem to chase them to the doorway to the bridge, which is too small for the iron golem. Thus, the golem still gets shot up by +3 ammo, the beamdog change is immaterial.

b0zcv9ok38dr.jpg
    Mantis37Wise_GrimwaldAerakar
    Coreranger X and his band of rangers update:

Not sure what practical thing I could have done to prevent her chunking. Protection from Magic scrolls are rare so wouldn't want to waste in a simple trap. Invulnerability potion wouldn't work either as our saves are too bad (mostly around 10 for spells). I guess I could have used the cleric spell to give magic resistance, but that wouldn't get her to 50%. Roger's potion of magic shielding would work (not that I had any), but there are a lot of traps in the game and only a small number of those potions.

Ring of air control is pretty handy for that sort of situation to give you +4 to saves. In terms of potions, stone form are relatively numerous, but the impact on dexterity makes them less attractive than invulnerability for combat - so using several at once to ensure a save against a potentially killing trap is not a bad investment. If you allow Vhailor's Helm at this stage you can also use that to put PfM on someone at no cost.
    Wise_GrimwaldCorey_RussellAerakar
    @Grond0 I consider Vhailor's helm too powerful, which is why I don't use it. I've seen so many players do so many broken combos with that thing. Don't have RoAC yet, but you are right should get it. I didn't have the potions you mentioned but need to remember I can stack them if needed. Thanks for the suggestions!
    Grond0Wise_Grimwald
    I took a break from the Maids of Helm to do a solo run with a dragon disciple, the first time that I have played one. Her last moments are worthy of being shared. She used her breath weapon against Silke and in doing so killed a bard standing nearby. Silke used a lightning bolt which killed two of those that she wanted killing. My dragon disciple finished off Silke, picked up the dropped gems plus two potions and recieved a third potion from the survivor.

Took on Karlat who went berserk being near to death. This helped him enough to win the battle.

If I play this again I will have to sleep between the battles so that my breath weapon can be used against him.
    ArviaAerakarXDarkStrikerXMantis37