Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

1491492493494495497»

Comments

• TrouveurTrouveur Member Posts: 515
    Congratulations @Enuhal!

I'm on holiday currently, but will try to post an update from my Avenger, which has made great progress.
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,860
    edited May 5
    Journal of Halma the Helmite Continued.

Cloakwood was straightforward.

We are now at the mines.

I again tried to use Xan's charm spell, this time on Drasus. The spell didn't last long enough for Drasus to get into combat with his cohorts. However we were able to separate him from them which made killing him much easier.

glvxmpm91nlj.jpg

Dynaheir then used two web spells and three fireball spells.

They killed the mages and all but killed Genthore.

Since Genthore was webbed, Minsc finished him off easily.

In the mine Gnomus was killed. Since we need a thief we returned to the FAI, raised him and went for the rewards for bandit scalps and wyvern tails.

Time for bed.
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 1,004
    Congrats @Enuhal ! Your mastery of BG spells is impressive, which is why I often favor melee-heavy parties. Unfortunately, melee parties are really hard to do unless I have an inquisitor or two because dispelling arrows no longer trigger on Melissan in EE (they did in vanilla).
  • TrouveurTrouveur Member Posts: 515
    Wilkim, half elf avenger update 2 :
    Since I used Endless BG1, I had times to prepare before the transition.
    I recharged wands, Durlag's Goblet, Greenstone Amulet, bought some dispel, detonation and acid arrows.
    I stocked some items in my chest in the ducal palace.
    SoD start in BG was mainly an errand, I did all the subquests, sold some gems and items, bought some things, and then onward to chapter 8 !
    One of griefs with it is the lack of frontline NPC.
    My party was initially composed of Minsc and Dynaheir (I had saved some scrolls for her since she wasn't in my BG party), Corwin, Glint and Viconia with the Helm of opposite alignment.
    I was surprised to see than the spiders AI in vanilla SoD insane was on part with SCS, and they ignored my frontliners protected with free action (with one ring stolen to Ushai before ending BG) to web Dynaheir and killed her despite stoneskin.
    o2ba5jzewaw8.jpg
    The exploration of the two zones went fine beside that, and we started the repository of undeath dungeon.
    My protection against undeads scrolls wore off before fully cleaning the area, and so the end was a little chaotic.
    iw9bo9100o6w.jpg
    The lich was easy to kill thanks to the truth revealed.

Chapter 9 was a good time to replace Viconia by Jaheira to have a far better tank.
    We cleaned all the areas. The spiders cave was burned to the ground with Dynaheir and some potions of explosion.
    The green dragon fight was a little tricky since I didn't enough protection from poison scrolls. Corwin drank some potions to increase her HP to help her compensate a bit just in case. Of course Glint casted remove fear before entering.
    The dragon in insane is immediately helps by two young green dragons ans some greater wyverns, and also targeted Corwin for its breath. Luckily she wasn't too wounded, and counterstroke with an arrow of dispelling to remove its stoneskin.
    Meanwhile, Wilkim and Glint used some wands of heaven, Dynaheir casted magic missile, and finally the dragon fell.
    Some summoned monsters held the wyverns and young dragons, and they were slayed soon after the dragon.
    vn1rq485we8p.jpg
    The half dragon and the neothelid was no match against poison immune characters. I skipped the shadow aspect, too risky and useless for my team, but defeated the mind flayer party with greenstone amulet, haste and potion of explosion and arrows of detonation.
    icme0kp503su.jpg
    We then recruited Neera instead of Dynaheir, Voghlin instead of Minsc, did all the Bridgefort quests,and then recruited Khalid instead of Voghlin before launching an assault against the crusaders (sadly, to recruit Khalid you need to assault the crusaders without asking for Fist support).
    I was busy trying to save the Bridgefort defenders, so didn't thought about screenshots.
    Suffice to say, chaos, slow, chain lightning, call lightning and Corwin arrows stole the show and assured the victory.
    On the bridge, the mage was hit by dispel arrow then poisoned arrow.

Time for chapter 10 !
    After doing all we can in the coalition camp, we explored the areas.
    Neera was killed because she forgot to cast stoneskin...
    je44s7sfxfc4.jpg
    Other than that, all went fine and I could start the exploring of the underground river, main dungeon area in SoD, and with many dangerous encounters. Albinos young dragons was killed with protection from acid scrolls, the dark druid grove (in which one of my previous runs ended) was cautiously prepared with summons and traps, and chaos and insect plague finished the job.
    Kanadrym was cleansed by Corwin alone with dispel arrows, arrows of detonation, poisoned arrows...
    The lich was destroyed thanks to the truth revealed.
    the last perilous thing to do was to poison food and water. I did it with all the party invisible,but found out than the exit is blocked until we speak with Hephernaan and the patrol coming. Corwin broke the invisibility by firing arrows of detonation against him, and the party could then flew to the barrels.
    h4tjquekm39u.jpg
    I put invisibility again,but discovered than the hostile group barring the exit in the underground river have a mage casting detect illusion, then oracle, and a cleric casting true seeing !
    Wilkim was revealed,and hit by a fear spell just AFTER luckily drinking another invisibility potion. The cleric ventured outside and was killed by the rest of my party, and so we could again use invisibility to exit the river.
    The coalition camp battle was easy, trolls fell to Neera's three fireballs sequencer, the mages to the chaos and insect plague, and the last stand to slow and confusion.
    12a3b7ij0e86.jpg
    Assault on Dragonspear castle went smooth thanks to the baril of woosh, the poison and the ogres, but sadly Mizhena was charmed by the crusaders, and I couldn't counter it in time before she was killed by the Fist.
    I agreed to Ashashiel's challenge. First I use the ankhegs amulet to summon some of them, then I launch insect plague and call lightning. Darts of stunning and wounding didn't worked against her, but chromatic orbs and Bitter did.
    qpko9uyb1ynn.jpg
    After that it was easy to go to Avernus, drinking all the potions saved during all the playthrough,notably clarity ones, and casting protection from evil.
    Final fight was not that hard, but a little annoying, because Beliphet's dispel magic hit Khalid and Wilkim. I had to do cat and mouse while slowly drinking again potions of clarity and potions of fire resistance. Glint uses a protection from fire scroll on Caelar, and then a scroll of restoration just in time.
    Meanwhile, Corwin shot Beliphet with arrows of void, Jaheira hit him with the root of the problem, and Khalid finished him with Acid Tongue.
    d68am5fydwll.jpg
    End of SoD !
    I put all the SoD transferable items on Wilkim, choose to also transfer golden pantaloons, Arla's Dragonbane, Falorain's Plate and Helm of Balduran, and now it's SoA time !
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,335
    Well done @Enuhal. Are you sure you're not whittling away that list too quickly though - what will you do with yourself in a year's time when there's no-one left? :D
  • EnuhalEnuhal Member, Moderator Posts: 952
    @Grond0 Then I will finally get to play whatever classes I want :smile:
    Also, my next run isn't starting for a while (at least not in the next 5 weeks, propably longer), as I have some RL obgliations that prevent me from currently playing.

@Trouveur Good work throughout SoD! I'm sure you will do well in SoA - especially with all the extra levels from SoD a druid bhaalspawn is just so strong in early to mid SoA.
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,860
    edited May 7
    Journal of Halma the Helmite Continued.

We killed several ankhegs and used the proceeds to fill up our spell books at Sorcerous Sundries..
    However, our gold ran out so we will have to go ankheg hunting again.
    'Long-life challenge' - wizard slayer {66} (update 1)

It's a while since I documented any of my long-life attempts in this thread - checking back the last time I recorded a wizard slayer run was December 2020. I haven't played that much for a while, but have had a number of fairly recent attempts with the wizard slayer. Several of those have ended rather unfortunately as a result of bugs or oddities of one sort or another and I'm hoping that describing the run this time will bring better luck - as well as helping keep concentration up ;). Most solo characters have a high chance of success if played well, but the wizard slayer is rather more vulnerable to bad luck - particularly in SoD. I'll try to play carefully in order to minimise the need for luck ...

After leaving Candlekeep, I went to find Shoal to grab a couple of easy levels. With fighter HPs there's no real danger from a travel ambush on the way and Shoal offers no threat if you don't talk to her.
    pji053dnu5fr.jpg
    I gained a very healthy 27 HPs for that and took a third pip in darts.

In Beregost I picked up the scroll case and shot Neera from distance for the gem bag. I then bought some +1 darts and went to kill the golems at High Hedge - so long as you do that before talking to Thalantyr he doesn't go hostile.
    16wyswj6i7nv.jpg
    The level for that brought me down to earth with a paltry 7 HPs. I bought the potion case to complete my collection of containers for the moment.

Next up I headed for Nashkel, avoiding any fighting on the way. After picking up the ankheg armor I took a trip to the basilisk area in search of more quick XP. Most of the time there Korax can successfully deal with all the basilisks, but he is vulnerable to greater basilisks switching to melee and this time died against the first of those - prompting a quick retreat from me before it decided to switch back to a gaze attack.
    aq32ovtxr94i.jpg
    At Firewine Bridge I ran Meilum round while throwing darts at him. I can't use his bracers, but his magic sword gave me a proficient weapon. While there I also shot Bentan - partly to reduce reputation and partly for his PfM scroll.

On the way to the FAI I killed the belt ogre. As I can't use magic belts I went to hand that in - gaining a 5th level and 10 more HPs on the way by shooting down Tarnesh before he could try anything nasty.
    cnsmwj0ire6w.jpg
    Buying Buckley's Buckler there enabled me to regenerate, which is pretty useful given I don't allow the use of healing potions.

A trip to the Nashkel Mine was next. There were no problems getting through to Mulahey and I avoided any risk against him by running him round the pond, until his morale broke, to prevent him getting into talking range while I shot him up.
    l955ygbgumj5.jpg
    After dragging Nimbul into the local shop to avoid his horror, I returned to Beregost to exterminate some spiders and shoot Tranzig. I dropped off Landrin's goods at the FAI before taking on a bunch of ankhegs. None of them managed a hit and that got me to level 6, gaining 15 more HPs and a third pip in long swords.
    4qpn70nvk7s7.jpg
    At the Bandit Camp there's no chance of rest ambushes, so I could afford to take on Taurgosz in melee - and a couple of criticals quickly saw the back of him.
    qlfcn7a29wlk.jpg
    I used the darts of wounding taken from the ankheg's nest to try and poison Venkt on entering Tazok's tent. That was successful and allowed me to stay in the tent to take down the others.
    gzo6sr5ul08t.jpgxo1eg05vog5j.jpg
    Resting after looting let me learn Bhaal horror.

Wizard Slayer L8, 74 HPs, 111 kills
    edited May 11
    'Long-life challenge' - wizard slayer {66} (2nd and final update)
    Previous updates: Before going to the Cloakwood I returned to the Valley of the Tombs to clear that out. The major reason for doing that was to get more darts of wounding from the amazons. I was careful there to take them on individually. Both the clerics have standard cleric AI, which doesn't chase after enemies out of sight. That means you can allow them to use rigid thinking or hold, so long as you move away before those are launched.
    74v5pba4c3be.jpg
    After killing Narcillicus' jellies, he was panicked by Bhaal horror to ensure he couldn't defend himself. Shooting him down took me to level 7, with 10 more HPs. While in that region, I introduced Greywolf to my darts in order to get a sword upgrade.

Then it was on to the Cloakwood. The only action there was in the second area, where I carefully skirted a web trap guarding a group of ettercaps. The wizard slayer has no ability to do damage beyond sight range, so can't activate the last of the ettercaps without going through or past the trap - fortunately there's just enough space to do that, as shown on this screenshot (where I've highlighted the trap location).
    veg1tuje503x.jpg
    I don't always pick up Spiders Bane for this character, but decided to do so this time - pulling various spider-kin back towards the edge of the map to ensure I could retreat if necessary.

Moving on to the mine, Genthore was attacked from range and pulled away to be chopped up. The same then was done to Drasus. After one failure and a rest, Bhaal horror sent Rezdan running. He didn't come close enough to attack, but I decided to go after Kysus while he was out of action. He was immediately poisoned by a dart and both of them were finished off before the 4 round duration of the horror wore off. Inside the mine, I took no damage while working my way downstairs. However, the first of the battle horrors took me down to 50% HPs. As the chances of ambush are extremely high on the bottom level, I went back upstairs to try and rest and regenerate. The potential difficulty there is the large numbers of guards that can appear, so placement is critical to ensure that a line of escape remains. Resting that time was successful, but I was ambushed after killing the second battle horror - here the guards appear on the right, allowing escape to the left.
    qaxbiqfd381a.jpg
    Standing just a fraction further right though and guards would block escape routes, which could well be fatal. The chances of shutting down Davaeorn's spells (which requires 4 hits) before he can do anything nasty are quite good, so I risked just going in for a direct attack rather than using up a PfM scroll. Unfortunately, on this occasion I'd only hit him three times when he attempted a dire charm and he beat the 75% spell failure - and I failed to make my 65% chance of saving. It seems Lady Luck still has a grudge against this wizard slayer ...
    e9ho3x7iv7ca.jpg
    Trio 63 - Update 1
    Corecleric XIX - dwarven fighter/cleric, protagonist (Corey_Russell)
    Boor - elven sorcerer (Grond0)
    Whisper - halfling assassin (Gate70)

After Trio 62 ends with the protagonist foolishly following the berserker into a room of ghasts, we roll another set of lambs to the slaughter.

Candlkeep went fine except Corecleric bought a sling but forgot to get some bullets. Fortunately Boor had some extra bullets. Xzar and Montaron once again go down, including Montaron to Whisper's first backstab. The party once again takes down Shoal and even has CHA to get the potion from Arcand the Mad.

Not much is done in Beregost at first, Corecleric makes a beeline to Nashkel to get some ankheg armor. Then some ogrillions are slept so that Corecleric can get a +1 shield from Bjornin. A few more Beregost fights/done like spiders, Silke (blinded) and Karlat. Then the party picks up the +1 ring North of Nashkel and belt of piercing for Boor. Once at FAI, the ring of wizardry went to Boor. Joia happy she got her ring. Tarnest not as happy about the backstab he got from Whisper (which killed Tarnesh). After getting our rewards from Landarin we then headed south and helped a boy get his dog as well as blind Zax and Val to get their bracers.

The party then works their way to the gnoll fortress without incident, which was needed as Corecleric needed the gauntlets of dexterity. Boor was throwing a lot of sleeps around and as such was often running to the front. Once area cleared we then tried to take a bear which was north of the fortress. Boor was running the bear around and his party was shooting it, but unfortunately this can be tricky sometimes because of MP lag and sure enough the bear swiped and killed Boor. The bear was commanded twice and eventually slain.

k8fm37hedyjg.jpg

We picked up Boor's stuff and then went to Nashkel to raise Boor - problem? No ring of evermemory! Doh!

But the adventure must continue. Boor took out his frustration on Neira and despite having only 1 HP he managed to kill her. Corecleric then needed a magical hammer so picked up Melicamp and then successfully held Bassilus - +2 hammer is now for Corecleric. Melicamp was successfully restored and then Corecleric bought a protection from acid scroll.

Ankhegs were our next target. Corecleric has good AC (-6) and lots of sleeps he only got hit twice but with his protection from acid he did fine. Near the end we fought two ankhegs at once and Boor was out of sleeps by this point but Coercleric used some commands to help speed up the kills. We then returned a bowl to a priestess of Umberlee then went to Beregost to sell our ankheg shells. But out of time so saved here.
    Biff {44} - melee sorcerer (update 1)
    Previous recorded run

It's been a few years since I had a go with Biff, so thought it was about time to give him another outing. I've played him with various restrictions, but for this run he can use a variety of tactics to disable opponents. However, he is not permitted to kill them except using his own melee attacks.

An initial attempt got off to a slow start as a result of taking starting spells of find familiar and chill touch (I think those were chosen for a previous run where he was not allowed to cast any spells on opponents and thus not well suited to this run, but I didn't bother changing them). Biff had to spend a lot of time and effort killing Xzar and Montaron - running away from them several times to rest before finally getting kills. That effort proved wasted thanks to a skeleton archer ambush on the first area transition ...

Starting again, he had no problems with Xzar or Montaron this time and made his way to find Shoal without any ambush. She was no trouble, but once more the run ended early after blinding Neera in Beregost. I had wrongly remembered her HPs as 6 and didn't double-check that. That meant she might have survived a hit with Biff's staff, so I tried using a magic missile to reduce HPs - only to find that killed her ...
    f8a1bqbvwnz1.jpg
    Starting again and Biff was soon back at the coast where Shoal was worn down by missile attacks before a single blow finished her.
    si1d798212cr.jpg
    Biff picked up a maximum 12 HPs for the 2 levels and learnt blindness. The slow weapon speed of the gnolls at High Hedge made them easy victims on the way to Beregost. This time Neera was blinded and struck down by Biff's staff.
    21q055snoqdx.jpg
    The ability of a staff to hit from beyond sight range of a blinded enemy was put to more good use to take down Silke - gaining a staff upgrade for Biff there.
    w7efc6bvigem.jpg
    More uses of blindness around Beregost took Biff close to another level and that was gained against Oopah's 3rd incarnation - Biff getting 3 HPs and taking invisibility.
    19n4seagek77.jpg
    That not only allows safe travel and enables Biff to sneak up on more dangerous opponents, but also potential use of his cat familiar as an invisible blocker.

Meilum was helpless once blinded and his bracers were a useful addition. Biff then aimed to improve his reputation. That sequence started poorly when I clicked on the wrong conversation option with Prism and missed out on the chance to deal with Greywolf. However, there were no mistakes with reputation gains from Samuel, Joia, Mr Colquetle, Brage, Oublek, Tamah and Farmer Brun - none of those needed any fighting. Relatively easy combats gained rewards from Ardrouine and Bjornin to push reputation to 20 - he also got to level 5 there, gaining 4 HPs and ghoul touch.
    kitao8nx0wk4.jpg
    Biff didn't yet have any bonus from charisma, but still decided to splash out on the dagger of venom and +3 staff. The dagger was put to use immediately in the basilisk area, to help finish off basilisks quickly after those were paralyzed by Korax. That took him to level 6, with 6 more HPs and slow as a new spell.
    1xjmt9kbm64d.jpg
    Kirian's companions were pre-blinded before Biff attacked using ghoul touch for the first time. That immediately tagged Kirian and, although an interfering gnoll allowed her to recover, she failed to cast a spell.
    kz7v5oglcfjo.jpgzpufgv08hjjp.jpg
    The others could then be safely beaten up with Biff's staff.

Up to this point Biff hadn't acquired the potion case, so went to High Hedge to get that. First though he killed the golems, wearing them down with +1 darts before finishing off with invisible attacks - while Thalantyr looked on benignly.
    wp7u5l49gbbo.jpg
    There was more quick XP on offer at Durlag's Tower. Once they were blinded and slowed, Biff could hit the battle horrors relatively easily with his staff. The first couple of those were enough for level 7 - 6 HPs and learnt friends, mirror image and haste.
    5lk9qfywt3r3.jpg
    A PfP scroll and ghoul touch were used against the basilisks and that was enough for level 8 - 6 more HPs and stoneskin.
    z2nu409socd8.jpg
    Riggilo briefly acquired a toupee before being blinded and beaten up.

Sorcerer L8, 49 HPs (incl. 6 from familiar), 69 kills
    Biff {44} - melee sorcerer (update 2)
    Previous updates: With stone skin now available, nothing offered any real threat on the way to get the charisma tome. Ghoul touch proved pretty efficient during that journey, with even polar bear HPs quickly disappearing under its assault. The doomsayer couldn't be attacked like that, but blind and slow were enough for the standard staff to make pretty short work of him. After Bassilus was blinded, he was another victim of ghoul touch.
    l8up1brdien5.jpgczg9f4dx5ohv.jpg
    Next up were the ankhegs. They're easy enough to paralyze, but the fact that attacks using that are non-lethal meant only 1 of them could normally be killed per casting, so a couple of invisible rests were needed to clear the nest. After that I went to Ulgoth's Beard to buy a couple more things, but was surprised to find that friends only pushed my charisma up to 19. I had definitely picked up the tome for that and double-checked I hadn't accidentally sold it. Possibly it got dropped somewhere when a conversation added an item to a full inventory? Anyway cash shouldn't be a big deal.
    clyha5muy84y.jpg
    Back in the lighthouse area, Biff took on some sirines. After splitting the first group up by approaching invisibly he attacked them individually using ghoul touch. Their saving throws are pretty good, so he had to be on his toes to use invisibility to avoid being targeted with charm a couple of times, but did that successfully. Sil's group can't be split up so easily, but one of her companions can be blinded while neutral and Biff was able to paralyse the other and dodge Sil's spells before finishing them off. That provided his final BGEE level, with 6 more HPs and blur, protection from fire and improved invisibility added to his spell repertoire. The golems in the cave were no problem with stoneskin and mirror images protecting against their attacks.
    oopy8862zesu.jpgy0knxyp9stm1.jpg
    The last wilderness encounter was the Red Wizards. Two of Denak's companions were blinded before Biff attacked the others - improved invisibility preventing them using any attacking spells.
    yafzpnae6yt2.jpg
    Biff cruised through the Nashkel Mine before taking on Mulahey. He shrugged off an initial paralysing attack and called for help, but they were all slowed and made little progress through Biff's defences while Mulahey was being finished off. Outside the mine the amazons had no answer to improved invisibility and nor did Nimbul.
    0zuq4hbsjmbs.jpgv2j2u2tzecnj.jpg
    Back in Beregost, Biff beat up some spiders before going to find Tranzig. I was careless there when his ghost armor allowed him to last out attacks under improved invisibility and Biff got tagged by an acid arrow before reapplying invisibility and finishing the job.
    azwdb31baae0.jpg
    On the way to the Bandit Camp, Biff stopped off at the FAI to deliver Landrin's goods and pick up the pantaloons. He was slightly surprised to find Tarnesh still untouched there, but a quick improved invisibility sorted him out. That also reminded me Biff had not got the belt of piercing, so that was done next. Finally at the Camp, Biff drew Taurgosz away from the bandits and slowed, blinded and paralysed him to get his equipment. Then he sneaked into Tazok's tent where Hakt, Britik and Venkt were all blinded before Raemon suffered a ghoulish touch.
    uxgi7dtwl9qc.jpg
    After invisibly bypassing the Cloakwood, Biff blinded Drasus' companions at the mine before buffing up. That wasn't really needed though as Drasus himself also went blind and it didn't take long to finish things off. After sneaking through the mine, the battle horrors near Davaeorn were drawn away and blinded before the mage became the latest to struggle with improved invisibility. He resisted a number of hits from ghoul touch, but his saving throws could not prevent him from being beaten unconscious.
    bfwod129gx0t.jpgxjp84jh0vlvc.jpgibe3nbo1cy56.jpg
    Sorcerer L9, 55 HPs (incl. 6 from familiar), 188 kills
    edited May 16
    Biff {44} - melee sorcerer (update 3)
    Previous updates: Arriving in the City I realised I was moving more slowly than expected and discovered I'd apparently forgotten to pick up the boots of speed from Drasus - I don't seem to be doing too well with inventory management this run! The first encounter in the City was with the ogre mage in the sewers. The nearby carrion crawlers were blinded before the ogre mage was disabled with a first use of stunning darts. Then Biff started the poison quest with the aim of getting Lothander's boots. Killing him would not be difficult per se, but ensuring Biff got the killing blow was more problematic. Biff used ghoul touch to try and get automatic hits and swiftly both paralysed and rendered Lothander unconscious. However, he couldn't kill him with that non-lethal attack, so cast chill touch. The base damage from that's also a non-lethal attack, but with potential additional cold damage. Lothander saved 5 times against that and I was distinctly worried that he would disappear despite being unconscious - but a 6th hit on him finally did the business. Larze's saving throws were also in good form and he resisted 5 blindness and 5 stunning darts before a dart eventually tagged him. Marek was then another to stand doing nothing in the face of improved invisibility.
    if7icltupwnp.jpg6aw9zvtbeby3.jpgi12g4q9uhfz1.jpg
    Ramazith was blinded and slowed and Biff killed the mustard jellies above him - though didn't bother with the other enemies in the tower. The dopplegangers at the Seven Suns were quickly crushed before Biff moved on to the Iron Throne. The clerics there were blinded while neutral, Gardush was stunned by a dart and Zhalimar was touched up while the mages tried in vain to see where their attacker was.
    5uwccwf7xmma.jpgu2i5nud3nvje.jpgl0t5pevie8hk.jpg
    I only remembered at the last moment to get knock spells before returning to Candlekeep. The tombs there were looted, with the aid of an absorption potion to protect against the lightning traps. For once, I didn't bother with Prat and his gang, though Biff did touch up the basilisks on the way out.
    al4t5m8sbarw.jpg
    Back in Baldur's Gate, Biff bought up a few potions and scrolls before going to find Slythe. He was quickly paralysed, but Krystin was left alone long enough to kill Quenash with a cloudkill (as a quick way to get the Cloak of Balduran).
    ja80eymx393c.jpg1kqem0ke6puy.jpg
    Using summons at the palace seemed risky given as, with so much going on, a summoned monster might get an unintended kill. To avoid that Biff used a chaos scroll to disrupt initial attacks and followed up with a malison scroll to help his stunning dart attacks. Liia still died in the initial attack, but Belt still had half his HPs with his attackers all running or stunned and there were no more alarms while the dopplegangers were being finished off.
    tto6xp867usy.jpg65wxbo9xp054.jpg7oyo56wghidv.jpg
    After going through the maze, Biff left Rahvin's gang alone and headed into the old temple. I thought it would be fun to set Sarevok against Semaj, so used summons to try and make that happen. Sarevok seemed to be in a good mood and didn't turn on him, but a bouncing bolt did upset Angelo and he soon shot down the mage. Malison then made Sarevok's saving throws vulnerable and a single use of a wand of paralysation was too much for him.
    tux5fwyepyab.jpgexgcxuq9uiag.jpgl53v6bk93dl8.jpg
    Despite not bothering with some of my usual encounters, Biff still transferred to SoD with 358k XP and immediately took his 10th level with 6 HPs and hold monster as a new spell.

Sorcerer L10, 61 HPs (incl. 6 from familiar), 254 kills
    Biff {44} - melee sorcerer (4th and final update)
    Previous updates: This run has been relatively successful, but there's been a fair amount of mistakes / lack of thought. One major error I realised too late is that I was too focused on dealing with Sarevok and didn't consider how I might deal with Belhifet until after that. In particular I should have picked up the wand of polymorphing in Baldur's Gate. Still, later events showed that wasn't really a problem after all ;).

In the SoD dungeon, Porios was convinced to surrender. Biff bypassed other encounters invisibly on the way to find Korlasz. After activating her Biff waited invisibly until she stopped running around and then dropped a dart next to her - using that as a target for hold monster. That got her at the second attempt and a few rounds of buffing were followed up with attacking her using chill touch. With her dead, Biff didn't bother with the rest and just reported in to Imoen.
    h7imgyvuztse.jpgnvyn7coscke8.jpg
    Biff had carried quite a few valuables through from BGEE and selling those netted him about 50k. Killing a few NPCs for their equipment added to that to ensure he could buy whatever he wanted. The XP bonus for leaving the City gave Biff his final SoD level, gaining him 1 HP and learning web, PfCold, malison and lower resistance.

At the Coast Way Crossing, Biff blinded Teleria and struck her down to get the Stone Ally - though that probably won't be used anyway. He used invisibility to avoid the potential fight at the bridge.
    bmsoclyfprwz.jpg
    Bypassing Troll Claw Woods, Biff moved on to the Forest of Wyrms. He ignored various enemies there while moving in to the old temple. Ziatar's guards were killed there before attacking the half-dragon, though that precaution wasn't really needed given that Ziatar was stunned by the first dart thrown at him. Biff buffed to get negative saving throws for the Neothelid and added a potion of absorption and protection from poison before engaging. Akanna was then rendered helpless by web. Biff didn't bother with the rest of the temple, but did throw some daggers at Morentherene on the way out - the 15th of those penetrating to her heart.
    wvwiccjrkxnv.jpgq8eam980jnku.jpga1xi09j8qrwl.jpg
    On the way to Boareskyr Bridge, Biff came across another green dragon. That managed to survive a pair of attacking hill giants, but regrettably died of its injuries before it could leave. At the Bridge, Biff avoided fighting Vichand by intimidating him into giving up the scroll. After surrendering the fort, that still left the mage on the bridge to deal with. I pre-cast webs there, but wasn't sure whether Biff could just kill the mage without him talking. Left alone, he eventually broke free and his buffs fired, included MGoI so the webs could no longer hold him. The Ring of Energy disrupted his initial cast though and Biff used that twice more while attacking the other guards. That took the mage to near death, so he could no longer use that to disrupt spells - but fortunately the MGoI ended at this time and the mage got stuck in the web. He briefly broke free and tagged Biff with an acid arrow, but getting stuck again proved fatal.
    u8g2bnut8jou.jpg
    Biff came across some orcs and trolls on the way to the Coalition Camp. He had no means of killing the trolls and no need of XP, so he just nipped into the cave invisibly to grab the Firefly sling just in case that was wanted at some point. After a brief stop at the Camp to collect the Bwoosh and poison, Biff went invisibly to Dragonspear Castle and rescued Skie.

At the Underground River, Biff beat up some myconids to get their bloom-sac. Web and malison kept most of the guards busy while Biff relieved the cyclops of its Seal of Caelar and he ran on inside the tunnel entrance. After placing the Bwoosh he blagged his way past Turin into the Warrens. After poisoning the food and water invisibly Biff showed himself to Hephernaan to reopen the lift and ran away.
    btllfnb5vq4m.jpg
    Back at the Camp an invasion was pending. Without being able to freely use area damage that was a potential problem. For the 1st wave of ogres and trolls, Biff summoned a myconid for the enemies to focus on while he moved up to them. A web and malison then held most enemies and the allied archers dealt with them quickly. For the second wave of mages, Biff again pre-summoned myconids. Malison, followed up with hold monster and stunning darts helped, but the bulk of the work was done by the wizard slayers. Unfortunately a moment's inattention proved costly against the final wizard. With him at injured status I moved the myconids away to ensure they didn't get the kill, but didn't stop Biff from throwing darts until a second later. A couple of wizard slayers got hits in the meantime, resulting in Biff's final dart proving fatal ...
    0lweiom2p54h.jpgivfv4nyvkz75.jpg
    edited May 17
    Wrecking Crew {27} - dwarf fighters (update 1)
    Previous run

I've been revisiting a number of my old challenges recently, so thought I would try this one next - although it's actually only 6 months since my last attempt at this group of 6 dwarven true-class fighters. Typically I've played this as a completionist challenge and required Al to face the same risks as the rest of the party. This time I'm minded to play it more like a standard no-reload challenge and see if I can keep the run going deep into the game.

After leaving Candlekeep the Crew went to find Shoal. Unlike my solo characters, they had a use for the Helm of Defense, so Vito puckered up for a kiss - and died as a result. After Shoal was intimidated into raising Vito, Droth was engaged with missiles. He managed to complete a sleep spell, but only Bugsy was caught by that and Droth died soon afterwards. Rather than accept a small reward from Shoal, she was shot down as well.
    gy2uf6pxmtmu.jpgj8geswl5anwe.jpgf053u3zbrlvg.jpg
    In Beregost, in addition to the normal activities, the Crew also shot down Algernon to get his cloak. To the south they killed some aggressive Flaming Fist soldiers to get their plate armor. After buying a small quantity of magic ammunition they killed the golems at High Hedge, getting to level 2 there.
    bvm97v2wk6tc.jpg
    At Firewine Bridge reputation took another hit for Bentan's killing before Meilum was shot down for his bracers. With reputation down at a slightly dodgy 4 the next target was Greywolf to get a boost there. Samuel was then delivered to the FAI and a few more encounters had taken reputation back up to 10 by the time everyone was ready for level 3.
    zpsbuvdzvhje.jpgr8fowtdedkni.jpg
    There were richer XP pickings on offer in the basilisk area where Korax provided a shield for the others to shoot behind. It only took a couple of minutes or so to kill all the basilisks and get everyone to level 4. Kirian's group were then shot down to complete work in the area.
    ozhvi91tfoon.jpgfuvwc62dbgdw.jpg
    A few more odds and sods were done on the way down to the Cloud Peak Mountains. The Crew had no healing capability, but by now had bought Buckley's Buckler, which could be equipped by any of them to activate regeneration. By the time I reached the Lake area, reputation was up at 13. I should really have gone there before, in order to reduce the reputation drop for killing Drizzt, but never mind. Running him around in a circle while the rest of the party shot at him it didn't take too long to get the kill. Seeing Brage back to Nashkel gained a bit of reputation back and forestalling Neira's ambush in the inn there was then enough for their next level.
    7wo1z6kb1w46.jpgwwys0hpee1ro.jpg
    The Crew's first genuine melee encounter was against the Doomsayer. Vito equipped the ankheg armor, Drizzt's scimitar and the golden girdle to make himself difficult to hit and wasn't required to retreat. Moving on to the coast, none of the 6 sirines there even managed to complete casting improved invisibility. The golems were then shot down without managing an attack between them.
    ie1uavgy90zq.jpgrjfux0euwj3s.jpg
    Bassilus was shot to get a proficient melee weapon for Bugsy. To avoid anyone being left out, the Crew quickly went to Arghain to get Al a 2-handed sword from, before Mad Dog went to the extent of purchasing an axe in Beregost.

After splashing out some more cash on a PfP scroll, the next target was Durlag's Tower. In addition to ghasts and Riggilo, I also attacked the ghost - using a bit of level skipping to deal with that. The basilisks on the roof were then enough to get everyone to level 6.
    m681wwmrs5y5.jpgqb0049shiysy.jpg
    Al (PC) - L6, 75 HPs, 101 kills, *** 2-handed sword / *** longbow
    Baby Face - L6, 76 HPs, 70 kills, 0 deaths, *** long sword / *** crossbow
    Bugsy - L6, 68 HPs, 75 kills, 0 deaths, *** hammer / *** shortbow
    Carlo - L6, 81 HPs, 73 kills, 0 deaths, *** flail / *** sling
    Mad Dog - L6, 86 HPs, 56 kills, 0 deaths, **** axe / ** dual wielding
    Vito - L6, 76 HPs, 52 kills, 1 death, *** scimitar / *** darts
    Wrecking Crew {27} - dwarf fighters (update 2)
    Previous updates: The ankheg area proved quick and easy and the Crew took only 1 minor hit there. Everyone has very high exceptional strength and that allowed them to walk away with the shells from all the 17 ankhegs found to boost their bank balance.

As this is not a completionist run, it didn't take long to go through the Nashkel mine to find Mulahey - who died from a single volley of missiles.
    xihxbnwhkqvj.jpg
    Moving swiftly on they soon found themselves ransacking the Bandit Camp. Taurgosz presented them with a second-hand suit of armor (one slightly less than careful owner). None of the enemeies in Tazok's tent managed to touch them.
    75x056kxdi1m.jpg
    They didn't do a lot of work in the Cloakwood, but did pick up Spider's Bane (for once staying inside Centeol's nest to fight) and cleared out the wyvern cave. At the mine a general attack found Drasus and his companions the latest group to fail to inflict any injury. Inside the mine the Crew again avoided most encounters on the way down to Davaeorn. He managed to complete a lightning bolt spell, that badly hurt Vito, but died before he could produce a follow-up fireball.
    hzq956bw2x6d.jpgi4ljl9rmckpo.jpg03pyachczj0j.jpgok5k9u7ud824.jpg
    Arriving in the City the Crew's first encounter was with a group of mages in Sorcerous Sundries. I was careless there in not spreading the party out and nearly paid for that when everyone was affected by horror. By that time though 2 of the mages were already dead and the remaining two didn't manage to kill anyone. I was more careful after that as the Crew worked through most of the City encounters. They successfully trapped Lothander to get a second pair of boots of speed. The Mountain Maulers provided not only an axe upgrade for Mad Dog, but took everyone to level 7.
    7104cnqfp4lg.jpg47kqumwpmff7.jpge5whqowjk83e.jpg
    Jardak was cut down and his Helm of Glory gave Vito 20 charisma. With reputation also up to 20, that enabled them to get some bargains on a quick shopping tour. Then it was back to Baldur's Gate for a few more tasks, including evicting some dopplegangers and picking up the Cloak of Balduran, before they moved on to the Iron Throne. By this time the Crew had 4 fully charged Necklaces of Missiles as well as multiple potion fireballs and arrows of explosion. Rather than give Zhalimar & co a fiery death though, they just lured them down into ambush on the previous floor.
    9qhvt9c9er4i.jpgzj6cmcl0o8p2.jpg
    Before reporting for duty in Candlekeep, the Crew visited one more wilderness area - quickly retrieving the Ring of Energy from the Red Wizards.
    k7aydn5zouss.jpg
    I probably won't do any more of the TotSC content, so it shouldn't take much longer for the Crew to finish BGEE now.

Al (PC) - L7, 89 HPs, 176 kills, *** 2-handed sword / *** longbow
    Baby Face - L7, 94 HPs (Helm increasing by 5), 137 kills, 0 deaths, *** long sword / *** crossbow
    Bugsy - L7, 83 HPs, 120 kills, 0 deaths, *** hammer / *** shortbow
    Carlo - L7, 94 HPs, 133 kills, 0 deaths, *** flail / *** sling
    Mad Dog - L7, 84 HPs (Claw reducing by 14), 121 kills, 0 deaths, **** axe / ** dual wielding
    Vito - L7, 89 HPs, 120 kills, 1 death, *** scimitar / *** darts
    Trio 63 - Update 2
    Corecleric XIX - dwarven fighter/cleric, protagonist (Corey_Russell)
    Boor - elven sorcerer (Grond0)
    Whisper - halfling assassin (Gate70)

The Trio got a lot done today. This group is proving to be very capable with a lot of ways to deal with problems. So first order of business was to sell loads of ankhegs. Next was to turn in the Bassilus symbol and also unlock the basilisks' area. Whisper found some trouble but Corecleric came to his rescue. We belatedly noticed that Boor is still missing his sling (he had died last session) so we went to the halfling village to pick one up for him, as well as silence/web Molkar's gang. Melium was also taken down although not before Whisper nearly dying to some skeleton archers.

Finally we arrive in Nashkel Carnival as get the green PfP scroll as Boor doesn't know the arcane PfP. We head back back to the basilisks area. Most basilisks were killed with Corecleric tanking and Whisper coming in for backstabs with Boor wisely staying his distance. So then it was time to take down the basilisks near Mutamutin. This can be done safely as long as everyone stays at maximum distance in the upper right corner relative to Mutamutin. For reasons that are unclear, Boor moved down and activated both Mutamutin and a 2nd basilisk!

Corecleric attempted a command but it failed, Even so somehow Boor ran away and the basilisk who switched to Corecleric who is protected by the green PfP scroll. Rather than cast horror, Mutamutin foolishly chases Boor and he gets hit with MM from Boor, MM wand from Corecleric (who is still keeping the basiliks occupied with his sling) and Whisper pouring in arrows - success! Mutamutin goes down! The basilisk chasing Boor also goes down and the greater basilisk goes down to Corecleric melee. Whew, close one!

Time for Kirian's party. Boor managed to blind most of the enemies and put in a lot of webs too, simple ranged fire was plenty to wipe out the enemy party. We then paid a quick stop by Ulgoth's Beard to get the usual goodies of greenstone amulet, martial staff and the cloak.

Corecleric put the greenstone amulet to use immediately by headed to the pirate cave area and tanked the sirines. He tanked well. A potion of absorption was once again very effective against the flesh golems. Whisper thief skills managed to be up to the task of clearing out the traps here.

Corecleric then went in search of a large number of ogre types who were heavily dosed with webs, they couldn't do much. Sirines once again tanked by Corecleric with the help of the greenstone amulet. We finally have some good money so purchased robe of neutral arch magi for Grond0 and also shadowthief armor for Whisper.

We paid a quick stop with Prism saving him from Greywolf and also getting a nearby ring of fire resistance and saving Samuel. Finally was time to venture in to the Nashkel Mines. With our good AC and thac0, the kobolds weren't going to stand a chance (and they didn't). Greenstone amulet once again made short work of Mulahey, though Boor was tempted to web Corecleric.

Now we cleared out the three crypts area. Amazons once again fell to more blinds and webs was simple fight. This time Corecleric pulled out the 3 ghasts to the party could stay at range (our last run died here) - despite Corecleric's precaution Boor still managed to get held, though his party and skeleton assistants were able to keep him save all the same. We tried to get out of the area and massive lightning strikes were repeatedly hitting the party, Corecleric frantically tried to rest to save his party from the natural lightning which worked but just barely.

After selling at Thalantry party then worked on clearing out the bandit camp. The surface went pretty smooth, with Khosahnn getting stunned by the paralyzation wand. Everyone then went invisible into Tazok's tent but it seems Boor got seen before the party could prepare. Corecleric tried a silence, Boor a web and Corecleirc did a command on Raemon and helped kill Raemon quickly to save Boor. MM wand also used on Venkt and Boor used MM on Venkt and Whisper pooring in poisonous arrows - success! Whew.

A little bit of time left we cleared out the surface area at Durlag's Tower. One snafu was Whisper and Corecleric got hit by Boor's agnazer's scorcher but we all survived. We had just enough time to free Kirinhale and kill Rigilio and get the wisdom tome and saved our session here.