Skip to content

Comments

• VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    @typo_tilly
    Tilly Wigglebottom, is that dwarf you?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    THERE IS A CIPHER NPC CALLED GRIEVING MOTHER I AM SO STOKED FOR THIS
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    How much do you guys min/max? I feel like I made my character too balanced stat-wise.

How much do you guys min/max? I feel like I made my character too balanced stat-wise.

My characters have a 16 in their primary stats and then I distribute the rest according to the character concept I have. I try not to have a stat below 10 unless I want the character to have a deficiency for RP-purposes.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207

Think highest stat I've gone for is 16. Lowest stat is 10 and most are 12-14. I had assumed there's a way to raise stats, but level 5 now with no such thing so I guess there isn't through regular leveling at least.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited March 2015
    I'm finding the whole "you can only cast offensive spells and healing spells" outside of combat to be kind of dumb. Like what roleplaying party would see a huge group of guys (thanks to their parties scout) and then respond "whelp...I'm not going to buff for this!"

I get that they are trying to prevent pre-buffing but given the whole resting supplies thing I kind of feel like it was largely already taken care of. It comes across to me as overkill.

But the main thing that has annoyed me so far about the game, as far as character planning goes, has been (at least as far as I've been able to see) the lack of deceitful/cruel options in dialogue. As a priest of Skaen this has been really frustrating.
    elminster said:

I'm finding the whole "you can only cast offensive spells and healing spells" outside of combat to be kind of dumb. Like what roleplaying party would see a huge group of guys (thanks to their parties scout) and then respond "whelp...I'm not going to buff for this!"

I get that they are trying to prevent pre-buffing but given the whole resting supplies thing I kind of feel like it was largely already taken care of. It comes across to me as overkill.

But the main thing that has annoyed me so far about the game, as far as character planning goes, has been (at least as far as I've been able to see) the lack of deceitful/cruel options in dialogue. As a priest of Skaen this has been really frustrating.

btw, since you're playing a priest of seems I have a question. Do Priests gain different spells based on their deity or how does that work? I have a plan on my second playthrough of being an evil cultist type person.
    To be honest I'm not really sure. I have two priests in my party but they both have the same spells.
    elminster said:

Agree to an extent. Healing spells, however, would be pointless casting outside of combat seeing as you naturally regenerate Endurance within seconds anyway. So healing spells being disabled may simply be to prevent "wasting" your Cast per Rests.

As for deceptive dialogue options, I'm not sure how many of them there are since I have disabled showing that, but I've gotten points several times, prompting me to reload since my paladin order doesn't like deception. It's my understanding though that we can get partial disposition/reputation points and I guess those probably don't show up in dialogue options or the character sheet until they accumulate into a whole point.
  • BalladBallad Member Posts: 205
    I actually bought this game on launch day but have yet to play it properly. I feel so challenged by the character creation that I wish there already existed a proper guide about it. Naturally, the best way to learn would be by trial and error, but my powergaming ego is staunchly opposed to this idea. It still remembers how, way back in 2001, I created a Gnomish Wizard Slayer with 15 strength as my first BG2 character, shuddering at the possibility of history repeating itself. Ah well.

Anyway, I'd like to make a character that plays sort of like a Blade, Fighter/Mage or Ranger/Cleric - that is, can handle one's own in melee, while providing the party with buffs/utility and sporting spellcasting capabilities. Which class/build in PoE would come closest to this? The Chanter, I believe? If so, how should I go about building one? Any ideas would be much appreciated! :smile:

Healing spells, however, would be pointless casting outside of combat seeing as you naturally regenerate Endurance within seconds anyway. So healing spells being disabled may simply be to prevent "wasting" your Cast per Rests.

Yea but you can cast heal spells outside of combat. Its not disabled.
    It's so weird. I've ran into two necromancers in-game so far and both have been wizards. The first I let go because she was just doing her job but the second I killed because he was being a douche and I wanted his research (Spellbook).

It's odd that the chanter is the one with the skeleton and phantom summonings but it seems wizards are the necromancers in-game @_@

Did I make the wrong choice to RP as a necromancer type character? D:
    Ballad said:

I actually bought this game on launch day but have yet to play it properly. I feel so challenged by the character creation that I wish there already existed a proper guide about it. Naturally, the best way to learn would be by trial and error, but my powergaming ego is staunchly opposed to this idea. It still remembers how, way back in 2001, I created a Gnomish Wizard Slayer with 15 strength as my first BG2 character, shuddering at the possibility of history repeating itself. Ah well.

Anyway, I'd like to make a character that plays sort of like a Blade, Fighter/Mage or Ranger/Cleric - that is, can handle one's own in melee, while providing the party with buffs/utility and sporting spellcasting capabilities. Which class/build in PoE would come closest to this? The Chanter, I believe? If so, how should I go about building one? Any ideas would be much appreciated! :smile:

Its worth noting that the first four permanent character companions you are likely to come across are...

a fighter, wizard, a cleric, and a chanter
    . So you may want to keep that in mind when it comes to what you select character wise.

In your case you may want to go with a Paladin. It gets ally buffs but it also would be good in melee. Chanters only get like one spell that they can cast per rest (at least as far as I am, this may change when they get access to level 2 spells at level 6).
    elminster said:

Healing spells, however, would be pointless casting outside of combat seeing as you naturally regenerate Endurance within seconds anyway. So healing spells being disabled may simply be to prevent "wasting" your Cast per Rests.

Yea but you can cast heal spells outside of combat. Its not disabled.
    I misread. Thought you said healing spells, in addition to buffs, couldn't be cast outside of combat. I've been lousy at seeing context lately :(
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798

My cipher had 17 int, but after that his next highest stat was per, which isn't very useful imo, just for conversations and he doesn't have much might. He gets along fine. I think normal is balanced for a non power gamery run through from I've seen so far.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    elminster said:

It's been a long time trope that being 'Evil' is the same as being nasty/obnoxious. So I guess I can understand your point of view. Can you merely play their personality (for lack of alignment) differently? Just asking.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    elminster said:

To be honest I'm not really sure. I have two priests in my party but they both have the same spells.

I don't know if they have different spells, but I know for a fact that the tooltip for the Priest large scale AoE damage/endurance buff that can be cast once per combat is affected by how aligned your rep is with your particular god, or something like that....

On a side note, initially since Durance came with a robe and staff, I figured Priests were meant to be more ranged than Clerics, but it's becoming clear that they really need to be closer to the heart of battle than a Mage or Ranger.
    Not sure about the priest spell thing either, but they do have "feat" (not all that into PoE terminology yet) abilities or spells that differs based on the deity you've chosen.
    edited March 2015

elminster said:

It's been a long time trope that being 'Evil' is the same as being nasty/obnoxious. So I guess I can understand your point of view. Can you merely play their personality (for lack of alignment) differently? Just asking.
    I'm a priest so me getting things that aren't related to my disposition actually hurts my effectiveness. I eventually had to turn on the indicator because I was getting options that sounded neutral, but that actually ended up giving me dispositions I didn't want overtime.

Anyways, I finally managed to get my cruelty up to 2. So now I just have to get my deception up to there as well :)

As far as playing their personality often you'll find that dialogue options open up if you have certain levels of disposition. So in my case having unfocussed disposition gives me more dialogue options at times, but it also might mean I miss options that require a greater level of a particular disposition (a lack of deception being one example in my case).
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    I had an idea for my second character to be a very lightly armored barb. Do you think this could actually work well? I know they said in development they wanted things like this to be a viable option, but so far as far as I can tell your frontliners just need a lot of dr.
    TheElf said:

I had an idea for my second character to be a very lightly armored barb. Do you think this could actually work well? I know they said in development they wanted things like this to be a viable option, but so far as far as I can tell your frontliners just need a lot of dr.

It is viable. You don't need high DR if you have good Deflection and the additional attacks you get in from not being loaded down by heavy armour really does help damage output a lot. High damage output in turn helps with survivability.
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    edited March 2015
    I've decided to make a Death Godlike Bleak Walker Paladin for the awesome flavour, but I still want to get some extra info on game mechanics to optimise the build.

The stats I am currently aiming for are:
    16 > damage
    10 > useless
    15 > action speed
    12 > some deflection
    12 > extra buff/debuff duration
    13 > some more deflection

The abilities I am looking at are:
    Flames of Devotion
    Zealous Focus
    Inspiring Triumph
    Sworn Enemy
    ??
    ??

The talents I will go for are:
    One-handed style/Two-handed style (still calculating which is better)
    The Black Path
    Remember Rakhan Field
    Bloody Massacre
    ??
    ??

My main problem at the moment is that on paper two-handed weapons seem to outdamage one-handed ones, however in practice a huge amount of Flames of Devotion is lost to misses and grazes, and that's just not cricket. They are also slower, ergo easier to interrupt.
    edited March 2015
    Yea I was looking at a paladin build recently and wasn't sure to make of it either. From what I recall it recommended high resolve and perception. In my case though it would have been a goldpact knight. Wasn't sure what to do with it though stat wise.
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    Goldpact seems to be the most lackluster order of them all, which is probably why you aren't sure what to make of it. They could probably work as a ranged damage dealer/support with high dex and might. Apparently the damage from the DoT depends on the weapon's damage, so with an arquebus + 18 might + sworn enemy it will be quite brutal. The high dexterity can be used to cast exhortations almost instantaneously if you combine it with light armour or clothes. The way I see it is that if you want to go melee, you should either choose a Bleak Walker for damage or a Kind Wayfarer for tanking and healing.
    So one thing I plan on doing is creating a full unique adventuring party based on my IWD one which is in turn based on a series of stories that I'm writing.

I think it would go as the following.

Val'myr Zaur: Pale Elf Priest (Divine Necromancy!. . . though Piro will handle the summons)
    Piro Faeren: Orlan Chanter
    Kitze Tribal: Human Monk
    Aiyumii Kikyo: Human Cipher or a Melee-Mage (she's a spell-blade in my RP setting and a Kenai/Mage in IWD).
    Fae: Wood Elf Bow Rogue.
    Aria: Death Godlike (human body) Paladin.

What's cool is Aria in IWD is a fighter turned undead hunter after he village from the northlands was attacked by undead. She and a group went to close a rift to the negative energy plane with the help of a wizard. They succeed but everyone dies except for her and she's tainted by the negative energy and obtains an undead-like appearance (Her bright blond hair turned white-blond, glassed over looking blue eyes, no rotting flesh because she's not actually undead, though). Her town then shuns her and she goes solo until meeting up with the rest of the group.

This fits SUPER well with the Death Godlike! Especially if I give her the drifter background and that she was from the Northlands area. I might have to do a run where she's the central character since it works so well.
    Oh, btw. Do characters who aren't currently in your party but are at your keep still gain experience Kotor/Dragon Age style or do I need to actually quest with them specifically?
    As far as I know they continue to gain xp at a slower pace.
    edited March 2015
    So I'm kind of disappointed to see that the game forces me to get my stronghold before I can get the ranger companion (as well as the cipher and druid companions). I'd prefer to be able to build them up as I want. I was sort of hoping they'd learned from how few people probably actually bother to use some of the late game BG1 NPC's, but I guess they didn't.