Skip to content

Jan Jansen and Use Any Item (UAI)

I have always heard that UAI is one of the best HLAs in the game. What can Jan Jansen do with it?

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    UAI is useful, but imo it's overrated. The tricks you can pull with it are mostly relevant in parties that are restricted in some way (e.g. solo play).
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Jan can use Carsomyr with it.

Vhailor's Helm
    Defender of Easthaven
    Scarlet Ninja-to
    Purifier
    Helm of the Rock

It's less valuable if you already have characters who can use these to good effect.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited March 2015
    Its actually not that useful for Jan because he basically very powerful by the time you get it. Plus he can already cast from mage scrolls (one of the advantages of it) and he can protect himself already through spells like Stoneskin and (by that point) Protection from Magical Weapons. Its more useful for single class thieves like Hexxat.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    I've been pondering the same question, as Jan is the main thief in my first run through SoA in a decade or so (not got to HLA territory yet). He can already use Mage and Thief equipment, so basically you are looking at Cleric/Fighter specific kit. Any cleric-specific that is about casting more cleric spell/day is clearly wasted. Likewise, fighter armor is going to inhibit casting spells, and as a mage/thief he probably has the lowest THAC0 of the part for most of the game, so melee weapons are not wildly useful. The range of useful items thins. Then we factor in the Jan-specifc kit in the armor/gloves/helm slots, and the replacements have to be fairly special. Carsomyr seems a popular choice, although he cannot get basic competency in 2-handed weapons. I'm thinking the benefit may be in giant strength potions - unless he is already boosted by other means like a belt (which does not need this HLA).

While it is relatively easy to create a PC who can make best of exploiting this (cleric/thief with swords and axes!), Jan seems to be in the sweet spot of thieves who should just take the other HLAs and move on - he can already use everything he needs or wants.
    Jan in vanilla can also use the Chaos Blade during Time Trap for DEX drain. But apparently you can't use character-specific items with UAI in EE.
  • claudiusclaudius Member Posts: 82
    Using helms is good. I have a full party so more fighting over equipment. He has other HLAs to take so I will see point by point how I want to spend.

It could be its own thread but what HLAs would you take with Jan? And what priority of order of taking them?
    claudius said:

It could be its own thread but what HLAs would you take with Jan? And what priority of order of taking them?

Spike Trap, Spike Trap, Spike Trap, Spike Trap, Spike Trap....

Oh and some mage ones every now and then I guess.
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605

I've been pondering the same question, as Jan is the main thief in my first run through SoA in a decade or so (not got to HLA territory yet). He can already use Mage and Thief equipment, so basically you are looking at Cleric/Fighter specific kit. Any cleric-specific that is about casting more cleric spell/day is clearly wasted. Likewise, fighter armor is going to inhibit casting spells, and as a mage/thief he probably has the lowest THAC0 of the part for most of the game, so melee weapons are not wildly useful. The range of useful items thins. Then we factor in the Jan-specifc kit in the armor/gloves/helm slots, and the replacements have to be fairly special. Carsomyr seems a popular choice, although he cannot get basic competency in 2-handed weapons. I'm thinking the benefit may be in giant strength potions - unless he is already boosted by other means like a belt (which does not need this HLA).

While it is relatively easy to create a PC who can make best of exploiting this (cleric/thief with swords and axes!), Jan seems to be in the sweet spot of thieves who should just take the other HLAs and move on - he can already use everything he needs or wants.

I don't think that UAI allow clerics to use swords/axes now...
    Daevelon said:

I don't think that UAI allow clerics to use swords/axes now...
    It allows this.
    edited March 2015
    Anyone like energy blades? I am pleased with the results of melf's minute meteors (MMM). In my first play through that's (MMM) how I killed kangaroo (kangaxx lol). Equalizer even adds damage I think if in the off hand.
    Energy Blades are crazy in vanilla. Bypasses everything but PFMW, disrupts spells through Stoneskin, has +10 to attack, strikes from a distance, and has 9 APR. It's an excellent shutdown for enemy mages.
  • hisplshispls Member Posts: 166
    claudius said:

Anyone like energy blades? I am pleased with the results of melf's minute meteors (MMM). In my first play through that's (MMM) how I killed kangaroo (kangaxx lol). Equalizer even adds damage I think if in the off hand.

I get a lot of mileage out of energy blades as well. They cut down just about anything in short order if you have 3 characters tossing them and a couple tanks.
    They do 113 damage on average assuming all blades hit. It's comparable to a fighter's damage output, but doesn't last quite so long.
    It's always fun seeing SCS Liches cast Energy Blades and go to town ;) Great spell!
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Use Any Item is only truly incredible for very specific dual classes (kensai/thief comes to mind) and for solo thieves. Still, it's only one ability, and thieves get a lot, so I'd take it. And make no mistake, it is nice to be have someone who can use whatever you want to use. Carsomyr, the Scarlet Ninja-to, and the Human Skin armor come to mind.

I do quite like energy blades, although I find a lot of enemies are better protected against it than they are against conventional weapons. Mostly I leave it for my clerics, because 7th level cleric spells leave something to be desired.
    I can confirm that Jan Jansen cannot use heavy crossbows (unless the one I checked had some other reason he couldn't use?? I don't think)... So that is in itself a reason for UAI which will open it up I assume.
    edited March 2015
    claudius said:

I can confirm that Jan Jansen cannot use heavy crossbows (unless the one I checked had some other reason he couldn't use?? I don't think)... So that is in itself a reason for UAI which will open it up I assume.

Jan would need UAI and something to improve his strength to use a heavy crossbow. That said light crossbows (like firetooth) tend to be better than heavy crossbows. So I'm not sure its really that much of a gain.
    There aren't really any crossbows worth using other than Firetooth and Army Scythe, so it's not an issue ;)
    oh i see i thought fire tooth was heavy. i don't know why