Skip to content

Crimson Dart

This is superficial though important to me.

The animation for the crimson dart is the animation for the throwing dagger (tumbling dagger) rather than the dart (flying straight). If this could be changed to the dart animation in the next patch I would be thankful.

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Hmm... Believe it or not... I actually think that the crimson dart is the only correctly animated dart in the game. Darts have always tumbled through the air until EE came around and, for whatever reason, changed the colored .bam that was used by all their projectiles to bolt.bam instead of dart.bam. This has always bothered me a bit. It used to be that both darts and throwing daggers used the dart.bam... Not sure why this was changed.
  • SpaceSpace Member Posts: 71
    Tresset said:

Hmm... Believe it or not... I actually think that the crimson dart is the only correctly animated dart in the game. Darts have always tumbled through the air until EE came around and, for whatever reason, changed the colored .bam that was used by all their projectiles to bolt.bam instead of dart.bam. This has always bothered me a bit. It used to be that both darts and throwing daggers used the dart.bam... Not sure why this was changed.

Your right as I remember though I still want the crimson dart changed to the bolt like all the other darts. Darts don't tumble though throwing daggers might.
    I honestly don't know how darts as weapons are supposed to work, but I assume it works differently from the game that people play at a bar... Am I wrong?
    Hmm... By using deductive reasoning (because the internet was not very helpful) I have come to the conclusion that, in the real world, most of the dart models you see in the game should indeed tumble when thrown. In order for a weapon to be accurate at a distance there has to be some form of stability to its trajectory. The only way you can do this with something shaped like a dart is with some kind of fletching or some manner of spin applied to the dart when thrown. The only dart that appears to have fletching is the standard non-magical variant. That one can have the bolt animation if it wants. All the other darts would not be anywhere near accurate if thrown like a dart you would throw in a bar or pub. A tumbling spin like, what the throwing daggers have, should probably be what is used for most of the darts in the game.
  • SpaceSpace Member Posts: 71
    Tresset said:

Hmm... By using deductive reasoning (because the internet was not very helpful) I have come to the conclusion that, in the real world, most of the dart models you see in the game should indeed tumble when thrown. In order for a weapon to be accurate at a distance there has to be some form of stability to its trajectory. The only way you can do this with something shaped like a dart is with some kind of fletching or some manner of spin applied to the dart when thrown. The only dart that appears to have fletching is the standard non-magical variant. That one can have the bolt animation if it wants. All the other darts would not be anywhere near accurate if thrown like a dart you would throw in a bar or pub. A tumbling spin like, what the throwing daggers have, should probably be what is used for most of the darts in the game.

Tresset always supporting the status quo as usual.
    Space said:

Tresset said:

Tresset always supporting the status quo as usual.
    Not sure what that means but I will choose to take it as a compliment... for now.