Skip to content

Pillars of Eternity: what class you going to roll first?

SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
edited March 2015 in Off-Topic
So Pillars of Eternity gets it's official release on thursday the 26, so I'm just wondering what you guys gonna roll first, also if you stick to a certain class for your first playthrough in most RPG's.

Not enough space so priest and druid are sharing.
  1. Pillars of Eternity: what class you going to roll first?32 votes
    1. Barbarian
        6.25%
    2. Chanter
        0.00%
    3. Cipher
      15.63%
    4. Druid or Priest
      15.63%
    5. Fighter
        0.00%
    6. Paladin
      21.88%
    7. Monk
        3.13%
    8. Ranger
        3.13%
    9. Rogue
      21.88%
    10. Wizard
      12.50%

Comments

• SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    edited March 2015
    Well I'm rolling rogue, Pale Elf rogue to be exact. Mainly because it's the class I feel most comfortable with in most RPG's, also because the only classes that don't have a dedicated NPC are rouge, monk and barb.
    I've never been one for making my protagonist a fighter, unless he was a fighter/something, spell casting or sneaking have always been more interesting to me than smacking dudes in the face with a large sword.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Probably the Wizard, althought I'm still not sure.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    All the world is blind to my passing!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Paladin, for once. I do make paladin characters in most RPGs, but it's always as an alt or for a subsequent playthrough. My first and main character is always a wizard/mage/sorcerer type thing. But not this time.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    OMG I still haven't finished Wasteland 2.

Are there manuals available so I can look at the races and classes?

Are there manuals available so I can look at the races and classes?

There's a semi-official wiki-thing.
    @Silverstar Link please so everyone can reference?
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827

@Silverstar Link please so everyone can reference?

Here you go
    http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Pillars_of_Eternity_Wiki
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    I don't think ill get it till I get some money off but ill prob go druid wen I do get it
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    I don't know. ill just start the game and play it be ear. I haven't been researching classes or gameplay much, intentionally.
    After reading some of the wiki I'm thinking Godlike rogue or wizard.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I wanna play a Mage/Thief... Oh wait... Wrong game.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    It's been far too long since I last had the chance to play an psionic character.

It's been far too long since I last had the chance to play an psionic character.

They're rare indeed. The only somewhat "mainstream" game that comes to mind is Wizardry (8) in which they're freaking awesome. Ciphers seem cool too, though might be a bit untraditional for my taste in casters.

Only 3 more days now and we'll know...
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    Wood Elf Wizard!
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511

We need an infinity engine style space opera (cyberpunk won't do) or superhero game.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Fardragon said:

We need an infinity engine style space opera (cyberpunk won't do) or superhero game.
    *crosses tentacles for a revival of the Spelljammer campaign setting*
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CaeriaCaeria Member Posts: 201
    I'm partial to rogues!
  • TuthTuth Member Posts: 233
    I'm trying my best to avoid any spoilers and have as "pure" experience as possible. That being said since it's the game that I believe may be a real spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate, I'll roll a similar character to the first one when I got to chance to play BG myself. Evil cleric, or in PoE priest, focused on melee combat with just a few spells to empower his crusade.

Fardragon said:

*crosses tentacles for a revival of the Spelljammer campaign setting*
    I was thinking of something more like Guardians of the Galaxy, but Spelljammer is good too. I eould even settle for a new Dark Sun game.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    A manual (or a guide) that will come with the game, the digital version included (at least, certain editions will have it), will have useful tips regarding certain builds.

For example, I find it quite useful that they say what attributes should I get to 18 (Might and Dexterity) if I want to make a deadly assassin. The reason for it is that the stats and other things in PoE are called otherwise if compared to BG, and it could be hard to get things right from the very first time.

Yes, Josh Sawyer said the game was designed that you can play with any setup but still I suggest to have a look on a guide (if you can) while creating any character for the first time.
    edited March 2015
    The way I hear it, you can't go wrong by dumping everything into Might and Intelligence.
    Post edited by Fardragon on
  • MaconaMacona Member Posts: 70
    Paladin, but I have no idea what stats to give him.