Skip to content

My opinion on the PoE release. You must gather your party before venturing forth 16 years later

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
edited March 2015 in Off-Topic
Baldur's Gate was released on November, the 30th, 1998. I was an 11-years kid that time. I didn’t even have a PC then.

Baldur's Gate 2 was released on September, the 22th, 2000. I was only making my first steps in terms of exploring what a PC was, what kind of games there were, how should I play them.

I couldn’t understand what a great event in the history of all computer games, and in the history of RPGs in particular, took place just as I went to school and did my ordinary home tasks. I couldn’t imagine that game would stay the favourite of mine for another 15+ years and probably for the rest of my life.

In 1998, and in 2000, the Internet was not like it is today. Not at all. Not everybody could constantly check for the updates online, not every small or big site posted news about the upcoming game every other day. And to tell the truth, not much information became available during the development process.

So, in 2000 I, like many other players I presume, just got simple CDs with what would become one of the most epic RPGs in the world. Only when the game was installed and the character creation screen was opened for the very first time ever I could start to understand how I lucky I was and what a magnificent present was just in front of me. Only when the first chapters were tried, I could start to understand the epic size of what was awaiting for me. That Irenicus voice… It still gives me creeps.

Since then, I played BG1 and BG2 uncountable amount of times. I went through the trilogy with a lot of different characters, with different setups and party combinations.

The releases of Enhanced Editions re-sparked my interest in these games even more. They gave me new feelings, they let me re-feel the same atmosphere with new NPCs and character classes.

Most probably, I will always play BGEE and BG2EE no matter what year is and no matter how old I am.

For all these years, I’ve always wondered if there ever could be BG3. Not in terms of direct quest line, but in terms of spirit, in terms of feelings, in terms of, you know, “essence”.

This week, we’ll hopefully see the release of Pillars of Eternity. From all the information available in the Internet right now, one can get thousands of pages describing the game, character classes, enchanting skills, locations and quests. We had all the chances to follow the development of the game as close as it is ever possible. Every single new bit of information was available for everyone to read, to watch and to discuss.

Now, in 2015, the world is not what it was in 1998 or in 2000. And the demands to the computer games are completely different. But the developers of Pillars of Eternity decided to follow the route of great IE games of old. The beta version gave me a chance to try the game a bit.

I didn’t want to see much. I didn’t want to spoil myself much. But even from what I saw I became sure that Pillars of Eternity has everything there can ever be to become what many would simply call “eternal”.

Now, in 2015, we have a chance not to miss the game that could become another greatest game. I would cherish the moment of trying it for the very first time. I want to do it. And I advice everyone, every single BG fan, to try it as well.

It’s just unbelievable that we have a real chance of getting a game that can step in the same line as BG1 and BG2.
Nobody knows if Pillars of Eternity really is as epic as the BG trilogy. But it’s certain that the chance is as high as it could ever be.

Let’s just not miss it! Let’s just embrace an interesting journey to the world of Pillars of Eternity, starting on March, the 26th, 2015.

And maybe, just maybe, in 15 years, we would look back on that date and smile. Smile just as we do now when we think about the very first run through BG.
Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
TeflonMessi[Deleted User]YupImMadBroproccoTuthSkieenqenqBugratMoradinNimran

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    proccoJuliusBorisovTuth
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    Yeah, I don't think I'll ever have quite the same reaction to another game. I still remember the summer after my freshman year in hs as the 'Baldur's Gate summer'. My brother and I played that game, and that's all I could tell you about what I did those three months. Still, though, this is the first time I've really been excited about a pc game coming out in a long long time.
    [Deleted User]JuliusBorisov
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    JuliusBorisovprocco
  • TuthTuth Member Posts: 233
    It's probably impossible to have the same experience as 15 or more years ago. I was overwhelmed by Baldur's Gate when I first saw it. That experience was truly magical. Though I think it's still possible to have very fond memories of games later on. I played Planescape: Torment many years after its release and my youth, Legacy of Kain series even later. That didn't hinder my experience with those games. The "magical" experience won't be repeated, but I grew to accept that and it doesn't diminish the love for the other games, PS:T especially.

I don't expect Pillars of Eternity to create the same magical experience as Baldur's Gate did, but I'll do my best to enjoy the game as much as possible. If it's a great game it'll end up with my favourites anyway, together with the Torment: Tides of Numenera hopefully.
    JuliusBorisovMoradin
  • SkieSkie Member Posts: 90
    edited March 2015
    Should I post a picture of the signed CE when I get it? :tongue:
    "Unfortunately", I'm in the middle of a BG run, so PoE will have to wait for a bit. Which is fine, since by the time I get to it I'm sure some patches that make it better would be out :)

Also, I have no idea what class I want to run with it, just that it would be an Orlan.
    JuliusBorisov
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    I got the nerdchills reading that.
    JuliusBorisovMessiMoradin