Skip to content

Any ETA for patch 1.4 for BG1EE and BG2EE

I noticed there isn't any "The road to 1.4" thread for either of the BGEEs so I would like to ask that is it under the works and is there any ETA for it? Cheers!

Comments

• JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited March 2015
    No ETA yet.
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    Beamdog doesn't seem to be in the habit of estimating the completion date of their patches. As far as they're concerned, they'll release them when they're ready.
  • enhancedgamerxenhancedgamerx Member Posts: 90
    Belanos said:

Beamdog doesn't seem to be in the habit of estimating the completion date of their patches. As far as they're concerned, they'll release them when they're ready.

Aye, for sure, but I'd still be curious to hear about the progress. =)

• GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    I'm glad, and I expect that most of us are glad, that Beamdog's policy is now "release it when it works" instead of "release it on a fixed date even if it doesn't yet work"! I wish some other software houses would make the same change of policy ...
  • JustLeftJustLeft Member Posts: 76
    Will patch 1.4 have the same improvements of IWDEE or any additions to it?

I am assuming it will come out at the same time as Adventure Y which hopefully be sometime soon.
    JustLeft said:

Will patch 1.4 have the same improvements of IWDEE or any additions to it?

Only Beamdog knows what will be in the next patch, and they're not saying.

• reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808

I'm glad, and I expect that most of us are glad, that Beamdog's policy is now "release it when it works" instead of "release it on a fixed date even if it doesn't yet work"! I wish some other software houses would make the same change of policy ...

I'm not sure that I agree with what is implied by this statement, as the original roll-out of BG:EE had all manner of problems. I also remember losing additional attribute points when picking/rolling a dwarf when the dwarven defender came out (was that 1.2?). Anyway, it is what it is.

When it comes to fixing errors, no matter how small, I'd prefer small patches along the way (1.31, 1.32 or whatnot) to waiting for indefinite periods of changes for massive fix-packs with (fill in the blanks). That said, I'm not even positive that a 1.4 is in the works for anything, other than to provide coding support to whatever is brought by Adventure Y.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    The lack of a "Road to 1.4" is probably for the best. Doesn't piss us off with it taking ages if we don't actually know anything about it.
    @Silverstar, I'm feeling like any future patch will have more to do with allowing Adventure Y stuff than changing EE. Not sure, though; seems complete where it is.
  • HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    I think the new pathfinding came in after BG 1.3 so there's still stuff to expect in 1.4
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Let's keep hoping for scrolling kits while we're at it.
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    Hudzy said:

Huh? What's a scrolling kit?
  • Fiendish_WarriorFiendish_Warrior Member Posts: 309
    procco said:

Hudzy said:

Huh? What's a scrolling kit?
    It's a new fighter kit (as if we needed another) where they have access to a spell that allows them to marquee scroll their stats in the air, hoping to intimidate their enemies. It's a neat idea, but it kinda backfires when you advertise your 12 STR score.
    I meant a scroll bar so you can display more than nine kits. Feature from ToBEx.
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    Ah. Gotcha.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • MadrictMadrict Member Posts: 141
    Any further updates/patches they apply to BGEE and BG2EE would be most welcome. I play these 2 games regularly and the fact they are still being supported is awesome! :) A lot of other companies wouldn't be bothering.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    I strongly doubt that BeamDog get any of these mods 'for free'. They might be freely distributed to the community, but it is a very different thing for a commercial vendor to include them in their own product. The original authors retain full copyright, unless they reach an agreement to license or sell it. We know that the Unfinished Business mod is not a candidate for eventual inclusion if for no other reason than the large number of contributors who can no longer be traced in order to re-assign/license copyright on their material.

Once you have that mod, it is a very different thing to bundle it into the original source of the main game, than act as an after market hack. There are benefits to getting a real integration, and we heard up front how one of the goals of BeamDog is to make these products /more/ mod-friendly by easily exposing to modders all the features they have needed for their own enhancements.

I'm not thrilled at the rate of patches myself, it took 15 months to get what I would accept as a playable version of BG2EE via the Mac App store (as we missed the critical first patch) but the actual process of releasing software is a surprising amount of work if you have never done it before. The demands on a small team to stop development and tick all the boxes required to actually release the product in a variety of stores could alone be incentive for a long release cycle - otherwise you spend more time in process overhead than actually working on the product itself.
  • modestvoltamodestvolta Member Posts: 108

I mean, I accepted the "resource issue" idea at first, before they had published 3 games and had good sales going. But let's look at the main components of these games' "enhancements:"
    - Tutu/BGT code for BG1-in-BG2: free
    - 1PP: free
    - BG2 FixPack: free
    - TobEx: free
    - Unfinished Business: free
    - IWD-in-BG2 code: free

a) If I'm not mistaken, the modders who implemented most of the components above are the same modders hired by Beamdog. Good for them if they want to be paid now. They deserve it.
    b) IWD-in-BG2: I think you're being a little generous on this one. Isn't this an unsupported project that mostly, maybe works? (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

I could never go back to the loading screens of non-EE versions. The instantaneous loading in the EE between saves and areas is awesome. I played BG2 (non-EE) after BGEE and even with my solid-state hard drive, the loading times just aren't something I could ever go back to now that I have the option for the EEs.

The ability to zoom in and out on all screens is also a huge plus.

And then having a UI designed for widescreen is another improvement you can't get out of the originals. Yes, the originals have mods for widescreen support, but reading dialogs is a huge pain. 12 pt font stretched across a 1920x1080 monitor? Talk about a readability nightmare.

To your point about mod kits and the silent plurality: remember when Beamdog was changing font sizes in one of the patches? People were super vocal and that was just from a beta testing patch that not every customer had access to. If more people cared about displaying 9 kits on the screen, they would be vocal about it.

This isn't to say there shouldn't be a patch for BGEE (I mean, improvements were made to the quickloot function in BG2EE and IWDEE, patches that came out just after the last BGEE patch. Why hasn't that been added to BGEE?), but to say that the originals have everything the EEs have just isn't true.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited April 2015

elminster said:

Yea I'm not seeing how they are being mod hostile. Its more of a resource issue I'm sure.

I mean, I accepted the "resource issue" idea at first, before they had published 3 games and had good sales going. But let's look at the main components of these games' "enhancements:"
    - Tutu/BGT code for BG1-in-BG2: free
    - 1PP: free
    - BG2 FixPack: free
    - TobEx: free
    - Unfinished Business: free
    - IWD-in-BG2 code: free
    They also hired a number of the modders involved in those mods (though not all of them) so that they could be made to work in the new engine. I can't say I've read any of the contracts these modders would have signed to agree to have their worked used, so I can't say whether they were all truly free or not. Not sure how you can say so either.

In my almost 3 years here I've seen maybe 3 threads specifically regarding the issue of there being a 9 kit limit. That is out of about 2.5 thousand feature requests for the game. Its a vocal minority of people who care enough to comment about it. I mean sure if you were to make a poll and ask people if they wanted this feature they would say they would but they would say the same about any feature they felt would make the game more moddable (regardless of feasibility).

Beamdog has to have whatever they produce work reliably on Ipads/Iphones, Android phones/tablets, Macs, Windows, and Linux. As far as I know TOBEX only works on windows. @Ascension64 may be able to provide technical reasons why some TOBEX components might have difficulty working in the EE engine. Though I do have to ask if you actually requested this as per how @AndreaColombo outlined here.

Edit: Just realized Ascension64 hasn't been on in quite some time. Ahh well.
    Post edited by elminster on

12 pt font stretched across a 1920x1080 monitor? Talk about a readability nightmare.

I have a 2560 x 1440 monitor. I'd need a microscope in order to read anything, especially since my eyes aren't as good as they used to be. But thankfully Beamdog has allowed me to select a font size that suits me. There's quite a number of small improvements like that which make the EE versions vastly superior to the originals, even with mods.

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Belanos said:

12 pt font stretched across a 1920x1080 monitor? Talk about a readability nightmare.

I have a 2560 x 1440 monitor. I'd need a microscope in order to read anything, especially since my eyes aren't as good as they used to be. But thankfully Beamdog has allowed me to select a font size that suits me. There's quite a number of small improvements like that which make the EE versions vastly superior to the originals, even with mods.

Ditto that sentiment. Back in the day I really enjoyed putting together mega-mods with many different components (some excellent and others not so much). However, I'd miss the new features (and even some of the new content I must admit) too much to go back. Besides, I'm not a programmer so the bugs used to drive me crazy!

As an aside, it never ceases to amaze me what folks expect for $20 these days. I've gotten well over a year's worth of enjoyment from the amount of money it takes to fill up my car with gas. I think we gamers need to have a sense of perspective about that. My 2 cents for what it's worth...
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    @subtledoctor: The question of Beamdog's intent has never been relevant, though. Practically speaking, they don't seem willing or capable of doing more than one patch per year per game, and at that rate there's never going to be any real acknowledgment of feature requests or improvement of existing content.

When IWD:EE came out - nearly six months ago, mind - there was talk of kitting Branwen as a Priest of Tempus, and introducing a Priest of Shar kit (which could then be applied to Viconia). Surprise surprise, it didn't happen.
    @shawne, I couldn't disagree more. The devs don't general answer re-hashed feature requests that have been answered elsewhere in the forums, but that is different than saying they don't acknowledge, etc. Also realize that they're now spread between three products (BG, BG2, IWD) and new content (Y). I have a playable product right now, and didn't pay much for it (I have BG and BG2 EE versions).
  • TalarashaTalarasha Member Posts: 62
    elminster said:

Heck the fact that they are still even considering patching BGEE is great but also its sadly impressive in this market. Bioware for instance would never patch a game 2 years after release. Thats not because Bioware games are bug free either.

It's a lie. Neverwinter Nights was released at 2002. Last 1.69 patch was released at 2008. Sapienti sat.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    @Talarasha Nimium altercando veritas amittitur.

Even if there're other examples of patching products long after they have been released, @elminster 's point still stands: this is not a common behavior. Also, the NWN situation dates back to 2008. The market of videogames changed drastically since than. Again, it's not such a common thing now to see a patch 2 years after the release.