Skip to content

Halberds

What do you guys think of halberds? The Ravager +6 is pretty OP. I consider it a nice weapon for Blackguards.

Comments

• JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Halberds are good in BG2. There are a number of good options, starting with the Duskblade (+2, deals bonus cold damage) as a solid early option and transitioning into Wave (+4, auto-kills fire elementals) and Dragon's Breath (+4, does less base damage but tons of bonus elemental damage). And of course, as you point out, the Ravager is one of the best two-handers in TOB. So yeah, I quite like them.
    CaptRoryJuliusBorisov
  • reap_iireap_ii Member Posts: 43
    Dragon slayer halberd gets honorable mention for its +6 dmg to dragons.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    If you've got some spare cash, Harmonium Halberd gives +1 strength.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    My opinion of halberds completely changed in the EE version, since they now do slashing and piercing damage. I always wondered why a fighter would only use the pointy end to do damage when there's a big axe on the end of it. ^.^
    CaptRorySkatan
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    edited March 2015
    The real "problem" is that a dual-wielder can reach 10 APR very early with IH while two handed weapon are stuck to 3APR (6with IH) most of the game. Lategame it is less of a problem considering that you will have a massive amount of GWW.
    In fact there is but one reason to have a two handed weapon: this weapon needs to be OP.
    Lilarcor (because you can get it very early and at that moment it is good), Carsomyr (which you can get it very early), Silver Sword, Dragon Breath are the only TH SoA weapon that are worth wielding. I may have forgotten one or two.
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    Arunsun said:

The real "problem" is that a dual-wielder can reach 10 APR very early with IH while two handed weapon are stuck to 3APR (6with IH) most of the game. Lategame it is less of a problem considering that you will have a massive amount of GWW.
    In fact there is but one reason to have a two handed weapon: this weapon needs to be OP.
    Lilarcor (because you can get it very early and at that moment it is good), Carsomyr (which you can get it very early), Silver Sword, Dragon Breath are the only TH SoA weapon that are worth wielding. I may have forgotten one or two.

Yeah, you forgot Impaler. Spears are pretty sucky otherwise, so overlooking it is quite understandable. IMO, spears should be one-handed weapons anyway but only useable with shields or small weapons like daggers. No dualwielding spears. :smiley:

Btw, is this moddable? Or are there engine limitations?
  • ambrennanambrennan Member Posts: 173
    It would be pretty easy to create a 1h variant of spears which could be combined with a shield, but due to animations you'd have to use weapon animations of some 1h weapon (e.g. The 2h axe mod makes 1h axes into 2h variants with identical stats which use the halberd animation).

If you want to create new animations from scratch, good luck
    YannirTresset
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    Yeah I forgot impaler indeed. And spears are just stupidly weak, they should have at least 1d8 to be in range with other weapon and to be a little more logical. I mean, how on earth can you deal the same damage with a spear and with a staff, given that the spear is basically a staff with a blade at its end
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    In 3E, spears do 1d8. Same for hammers, flails, and morningstars.