Skip to content

[Intended] engine bug: touch range magic all buggy.

aldolaldol Member Posts: 17
edited May 2015 in BG:EE Bugs (v1.3)
when you use touch range magics like cure light wounds, if spellcaster cast touch magic and targeted person start to move toward and near the spellcaster, touch magic have infinite range. it ouccurs in bg ee and bg2 ee.
Post edited by Illydth on

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    edited March 2015
    An old issue with the pathing. Not sure what can be done about it... Pathing tends to be a can of worms. Who knows though, the devs have surprised me before.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    What does "touch magic have infinite range" mean? Touch range is implemented as Range 1 (assuming your arm's length is 1). This should work.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited April 2015
    @Avenger_teambg

I think what he is saying is

1) Cleric casts cure light wounds on a target next to them. The cleric is chanting, doing his/her thing.
    2) Target of heal spell runs off into battle before the spell is successfully cast.
    3) Even though the target is well outside of the spells range the spell still heals them.

Personally I've just viewed it as a quirk of the engine. Plus gives healing a small amount of practical worth in combat (not much though).
    Well, this could be 'fixed', but i think the efforts wouldn't worth the result.
    Unless, we really want to troll the players. All those spells you started casting, but the target is out of range at the end could fizzle.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    @elminster @Avenger_teambg:

There is a slightly weirder behavior that I think is what the OP is talking about:

1) Pause.
    2) Tell cleric to cast cure light wounds on a target who is far away.
    3) Tell target to go stand next to cleric.
    4) Unpause - Cleric starts casting immediately, even though target is still far away. Target can now change course and thus get healed without ever actually approaching the caster.

Still doesn't seem worth fixing, but it is a little odd.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    It's a quirk of the engine that I don't really worry about. I think it checks proximity at the beginning of the casting, and, if that's met, allows the heal. I could, if I wanted, force the recipient of healing not to move until done, but it seems silly, so I don't bother.
    joluv said:

@elminster @Avenger_teambg:

There is a slightly weirder behavior that I think is what the OP is talking about:

1) Pause.
    2) Tell cleric to cast cure light wounds on a target who is far away.
    3) Tell target to go stand next to cleric.
    4) Unpause - Cleric starts casting immediately, even though target is still far away. Target can now change course and thus get healed without ever actually approaching the caster.

Still doesn't seem worth fixing, but it is a little odd.

Yeah, that's probably beyond acceptable. The cleric should wait till the recipient reaches him.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    I just checked on a status for this thing. It was discussed internally and unfortunately the powers that be decided that this would be too much of an issue to fix without the potential of breaking other things.

Given the way the engine works, we are calling this "intended functionality".