Skip to content

Neera's Quest: laugh or cry?

Arg! OK, doing this makes me alternately want to pull my hair out, and fall on the floor laughing. And I haven't even gotten near her camp yet!

First of all, I had parked Yoshimo in Town and took Nalia with me, figuring that I'd have two mages. Bad move; because of the nature of the area, Nalia proved worse than useless ... much worse. Luckily, Neera, unlike the OCD afflicted Anomen, is so happy-go-lucky that she is in no rush. In fact, I suspect the bubble-brained half-elf forgets her problems as soon as they are out of sight. I could probably recruit her and not do her quest at all. Anyway, I went back to town and exchanged Nalia for Yoshimo (who once again proved invaluable, dammit!)

Next thing that happened was we got into a few fights, and one of our guys got poisoned. I had Jahira cast slow poison on him .... and she flubbed the spell! She cast Summon Squirrel instead! We had half a dozen summoned squirrels running around. I could even order them to attack, but ... well, squirrels are pretty ineffective in combat. I did almost fall out of my chair though, when Jahira started yelling "Squirrels! Squirrels everywhere!"

Lastly, and I'm not sure if it was because of the area or what, but after whacking a particularly annoying snake, Yoshimo came out with a bit of dialogue I had never heard from him before. "Who's yer daddy?" he exclaimed. Hah!

Comments

• FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    Also, Neera's refuge contains what has to be one of the STUPIDEST side quests ever!

What's even worse is that I am actually doing it.
    I had darned well better get 100,000 experience points for this. I started an hour ago, and still not done.
    edited April 2015
    Done at last. And the reward, appropriately enough, is just as silly as the quest itself.

I believe that the quest is in reality designed to test you for OCD. If you actually finish it, your OCD rating is off the charts.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,266
    Some of the wild mages' quests are tricky. Reginald's especially.
    FrdNwsm said:

Lastly, and I'm not sure if it was because of the area or what, but after whacking a particularly annoying snake, Yoshimo came out with a bit of dialogue I had never heard from him before. "Who's yer daddy?" he exclaimed. Hah!

Ah, sounds like you have Lilarcor. That is something your talking sword says.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    The whole forest area is a wild magic zone, any spell cast will wild surge there. There are similiar zones in Watcher's Keep dungeon, as well as dead magic zones. (All spells fail) you were lucky with Jaheira's spell summoning squirrels only, she could have dropped a cow from the sky, petrified the target, changed the target's gender, or gated in a demon from the hells. Wild magic is wild.
    >>The whole forest area is a wild magic zone, any spell cast will wild surge there. <<

Precisely; that's why I parked Nalia in town and took Yoshimo instead (the area is also chock full of traps). But I had thought it would affect only arcane spells, and not spiritual, which is why I had Jaheira cast slow poison. Once I realized ALL spells were affected, I used only potions for healing; these seem to work as usual. But I thought her exclamation about the squirrels was not only humorous but appropriate.
    edited April 2015
    >> sounds like you have Lilarcor. That is something your talking sword says.<<

Interesting; Didn't realize it was the sword talking, since it looked like Yoshimo had dealt the killing blow. Still amusing; it hadn't said anything like that before while I was wielding it.
    edited April 2015
    >>Some of the wild mages' quests are tricky. <<

This one was just stupid; I was carrying cans of Tender Vittles around and literally trying to herd cats! Doh!
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Yeah, the cat quest is... annoying. It'd be better if they didn't constantly escape, or if you didn't have a finite amount of cat food.
    edited April 2015
    >>It'd be better if they didn't constantly escape<<

Heh, yeah; after the first time one got away, though, I figured that if I ran back to the refuge right away each time I caught one, they wouldn't have time to escape. That worked well.

Is the stupid cat bell actually useful for anything? I sold it as soon as I got back to town :wink:
    If you want a reward from Reginald you need to...
    pick a fight with him and not attack him.
    >>Some of the wild mages' quests are tricky. Reginald's especially.<<

I didn't see Reginald as having any quest. I helped him with some anger management issues, but that was all. Did I miss something?
  • pwaringpwaring Member Posts: 81
    Jarrakul said:

Yeah, the cat quest is... annoying. It'd be better if they didn't constantly escape, or if you didn't have a finite amount of cat food.

You can always go back and get more cat food (talk to the quest originator).
    >>If you want a reward from Reginald you need to...<<

That's actually what I did; it seemed the logical thing to do. All he said was thanks for showing him how to control his anger, or words to that effect.
    He only rewards you after you finish Neera's main quest.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Arghh, the cat herding quest ... I think the writers must have suffered an imagination-failure the day they wrote that one, it's probably the silliest quest I've ever seen in an RPG.

Note, though, @FrdNwsm - some of these Hidden Camp sub-quests have a modest reward at the time you do them, and others don't, but what you get at the time is only part of their outcome. Every one of them affects the reward you eventually get later on (when you complete the last stage of Neera's SoA plotline), so every one of them is actually worth doing, even though it might not appear so at the time.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    I totally agree about those bloody cats, the damn things drove to distraction, but I would take on Neera's quests anyway as the Red Wizard Enclave is one of my favourite fights: Very tactical and a classic case of "This seems straightforward enough, what could possibly go wrong?".
    edited April 2015
    dunbar said:

I totally agree about those bloody cats, the damn things drove to distraction, but I would take on Neera's quests anyway as the Red Wizard Enclave is one of my favourite fights: Very tactical and a classic case of "This seems straightforward enough, what could possibly go wrong?".

I did the first part of that. I am leaving the second for a bit. And the fight actually went better when I left Neera back in the Copper Kettle and took Nalia instead. Nalia doesn't make remarks that cheese the merchants off, and

by talking to them first I got a key to the slave pens before the actual fight started by saying I wanted to inspect the merchandise before buying any

Luckily, as I have mentioned before, Neera doesn't care if we delay her quests for a bit. Took time out to go to the Harpers ... who, by the way, TOTALLY blindsided me! I so didn't see THAT one coming! But that's a topic for a different folder. :blush:
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited April 2015
    With the cat quest I normally just console in the cats. Its all the same itm code.

C:CreateItem("ohncat")