Skip to content

3 magic questions: sequencer usage, druidic fire elementals, horn of Valhalla

#1) I just got a scroll with minor sequencer on it, and want to make sure I understand how it works. Apparently it creates the equivalent of a magic item with 2 spells in it of level 1 or 2. This is permanent and has no expiration date. So, I could create a sequencer, then go back to sleep and memorize three totally different spells, and still have the sequencer in my arsenal? When I do use it, are both spells released at once, or one at a time? Is there a casting time associated with the activation, or is it instantaneous? Can using a sequencer be interrupted by being hit in combat the way casting a regular spell can?

#2) Unlike mages, druids don't have to establish mental control over summoned elementals. Jaheira has been getting a lot of mileage out of her fire elemental. However, I have noticed the last few times we have summoned it, it ended up turning hostile and I had to kill it. Usually this involved a fairly large combat with at least one mage in the opposinng party. I'm not sure exactly why this is happening. Is it possible for an enemy caster to control her elemental with a spell? Or will it turn hostile because we accidentally hit it with some sort of attack?

#3) I was assuming that these horns would summon a berserker that was controllable, but the few times I have summoned a berserker from the horn of Valhalla when bystanders were present, it had a tendency to attack them also. It's more like they were wielding a cursed weapon of berserking and not acting like my berserker character whose rage can be directed. If so, this makes it a bit more problematical to use the item. I may decide it's too much bother and just sell it.

Comments

• joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    1. It'll work as a special ability, not an item, but otherwise you're correct. It instantly casts both spells at once.

2. Either of those things could have happened.

3. You could still use it in any of the many battles that take place nowhere near innocent bystanders.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    FrdNwsm said:

#1) I just got a scroll with minor sequencer on it, and want to make sure I understand how it works. Apparently it creates the equivalent of a magic item with 2 spells in it of level 1 or 2. This is permanent and has no expiration date. So, I could create a sequencer, then go back to sleep and memorize three totally different spells, and still have the sequencer in my arsenal? When I do use it, are both spells released at once, or one at a time? Is there a casting time associated with the activation, or is it instantaneous? Can using a sequencer be interrupted by being hit in combat the way casting a regular spell can?

Yes, you can sleep and memorize different spells, and your prepared sequencer will still be available in your "special abilities" icon until you use it. (Once you've used it, of course, then you'll need to re-memorize the sequencer spell and so on, and re-cast it.) When you use it, both spells are released at once, but bear in mind that offensive spells usually have a "travel time" like a missile before reaching the enemy, and this still applies when fired from a sequencer. Activation of a sequencer is almost instantaneous, but only happens when you can next cast a spell ... so for example, if you've just cast a spell, then you can't cast another spell until the start of that character's next personal round, and therefore (similarly) if you immediately tell him/her to cast a sequencer instead of another spell, it won't be fired until after the between-spells delay. Since it then casts immediately, no, it isn't interruptible ... or at least, not so far as I've ever noticed (except that it can be interrupted by a cut-scene starting).
    FrdNwsm said:

#2) Unlike mages, druids don't have to establish mental control over summoned elementals. Jaheira has been getting a lot of mileage out of her fire elemental. However, I have noticed the last few times we have summoned it, it ended up turning hostile and I had to kill it. Usually this involved a fairly large combat with at least one mage in the opposinng party. I'm not sure exactly why this is happening. Is it possible for an enemy caster to control her elemental with a spell? Or will it turn hostile because we accidentally hit it with some sort of attack?

Indeed, druid-summoned elementals are much better than mage-summoned elementals, since control is established instantly and reliably; this is one of the best features of a druid. (This is one of the reasons why a high-level druid is the best summoner in the game.) Yes, I think I've occasionally seen enemies charm/dominate/etc. an elemental. And yes, they can certainly turn hostile if you hit them yourself, typically with some AoE spell.
    FrdNwsm said:

#3) I was assuming that these horns would summon a berserker that was controllable, but the few times I have summoned a berserker from the horn of Valhalla when bystanders were present, it had a tendency to attack them also. It's more like they were wielding a cursed weapon of berserking and not acting like my berserker character whose rage can be directed. If so, this makes it a bit more problematical to use the item. I may decide it's too much bother and just sell it.

Yes, the summoned berserker is only controllable when no enemy is in sight, otherwise he goes ... well, berserk. Therefore, yes, the Horn of Valhalla isn't as useful as it might first seem. However, there are one or two situations in the game where it's handy to be able to call up a companion for a suicide-mission, so it can occasionally be useful.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited April 2015
    Sequencers have a casting time of 1, so they can be interrupted. They are not insta-insta casted, but pretty close.

Also, if your target is not valid for a sequencer, the spells fail. For example, you try to cast a self-only spell on someone else, or you try to cast a spell to a target well beyond the actual spell's range. In either case, spells will fail.

So, for example, mirror image+invisibility minor sequencer can only be used on yourself, if you use it on someone else, invisibility will work, but mirror image will fail. Also, skull traps have very poor range, if you try to release three skulltraps via big spell sequencer (lvl 7 version) but are far away from the target beyond the skulltrap spell's regular range, all three skull traps will fail and you will have wasted a lot of spells. Fireballs work better as they have infinitely better range. Returning to the invisibility sequencer, if you want to use it on someone else, you need to be right up close to your ally, as invisibility is a touch range spell. Otherwise, it will fail. Webx2 or web+glitterdust are good minor sequencers, and good ol magic missilex2, or aganazar's scorcherx2 can help when you need a bit of quick extra damage.

Contingencies on the other hand, they trigger themselves on the conditions you have chosen upon casting. And yes, chain contingency is the king of the spells. 3x horrid wilting cc is a widow-maker.

As for fire elementals summoned by the druids, they get annoyed very easily, I tried to bombard the enemies with fireballs while they engaged the enemy, and I thought they would have enjoyed the fireballs as they are made of fire, too. But they turned hostile. But I guess it makes sense, we are made of human flesh yet if you throw human bodies and punches/kicks at me it will hurt me and I will be pissed as well.

Berserkers use Minsc's berserk ability, as soon as an enemy falls, they lose control and attack the single nearest creature, be it foe, friend or neutral. The loss of control can last for a few rounds.
    lunar said:

Sequencers have a casting time of 1, so they can be interrupted. They are not insta-insta casted, but pretty close.

Oh. Okay then, I stand corrected. But I don't recall ever seeing a sequencer interrupted, so it's at least very rare that the enemy will get so lucky.

Oh. Okay then, I stand corrected. But I don't recall ever seeing a sequencer interrupted, so it's at least very rare that the enemy will get so lucky.

Same here. I guess my arcane casters are usually wearing Amulet of Power and/or Robe of Vecna by the time they're routinely using sequencers.

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    @FrdNwsm I don't know if you know, but the horn of Valhalla can be upgraded,
    if you find a diamond and the beljuril gem, there is a guy in waukeen's promenade you can talk to and he will upgrade it ( he is a merchant that is chillin outside, I think his name starts with "Q")
    edited April 2015
    sarevok57 said:

I think his name starts with "Q"

Maheer

• YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    One additional thing about sequencers and triggers, you can only have 1 spell of the same kind prepared at a time.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    The sequencer activation ability itself can be interrupted, but if interrupted it will not be expended, and the ability will return after resting. The spells stored in the sequencer cannot be interrupted and are cast instantly if the activation ability succeeds.
    Yannir said:

One additional thing about sequencers and triggers, you can only have 1 spell of the same kind prepared at a time.

Just to clarify, I think @Yannir means that you can have at most one Minor Spell Sequencer, one Spell Sequencer, one Spell Trigger, one Contingency, and one Chain Contingency prepared at any given time, not that you can't put two Magic Missiles in a Minor Spell Sequencer.
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    What @joluv said.. My head's not working properly today.. :smiley:
  • FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    You can have both a minor sequencer and a regular sequencer both prepared at once? I would never have thought that; wow! So I could in theory have 5 special ability slots filled and ready to go? Awesome sauce!
    FrdNwsm said:

You can have both a minor sequencer and a regular sequencer both prepared at once? I would never have thought that; wow! So I could in theory have 5 special ability slots filled and ready to go? Awesome sauce!

Not exactly.

The three types of sequencer spell each fill a special ability slot. The two types of contingency spell don't. The difference is that sequencers are fired manually when you choose to use them, whereas contingencies fire automatically, according to a pre-defined condition (which you specify when you cast the contingency spell), so contingencies don't need a special ability slot.
  • NoonNoon Member Posts: 202
    FrdNwsm said:

I am sure you already met some enemy spellcasters with several defence sequencers/contingencies, why couldn't you use them also ?
  • mrb101mrb101 Member Posts: 68
    i seem to remember getting a message telling me i can only have one sequencer or contingency active at a time but i just tested it you can have minor sequencer, spell sequencer, spell trigger, contingency and chain contingency all at the same time. has this been changed recently or is my memory incorrect?
    I think it's your memory, @mrb101 - you can have one of each type of sequencer and contingency active at the same time, and IIRC that's always been the case.
  • mrb101mrb101 Member Posts: 68
    i must be getting old :(