Skip to content

**SPOILERS** Blackguard following a good path

pwaringpwaring Member Posts: 81
For giggles I've decided to generate a Blackguard character who will be a force for righteous goodness (together with his new-found pals Keldorn and Anomen). I've found other forum posts which address some of my questions (can use Carsomyr - yay!, don't become 'fallen' if reputation gets too high) but there's still a few things I'm not sure about:
  • Will good/neutral characters join and stay in my group if my reputation is high enough, regardless of my alignment?
  • Related to the previous point, will good/neutral characters romance an evil (male) PC?
  • Will the 'good' options in quests be available to me?
I guess the general question is whether alignment actually affects much in the game, other than starting reputation, if you always follow a good path anyway.

I have maximum charisma (18) if this affects any of the above (e.g. reaction modifiers).

Comments

• MhamzaMhamza Member Posts: 228
    edited April 2015
    The answer to all your questions is yes. In fact, Alignment doesn't really matter much unless you're playing a cleric.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,266
    They can't use Carsomyr, unless they give it to Keldorn.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    People play Lawful Good Paladins while stealing everything, breaking into houses, and killing anybody they happen to not like. You'll be fine.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356

People play Lawful Good Paladins while stealing everything, breaking into houses, and killing anybody they happen to not like.

... so that's just like a government, then ... which is (usually) Lawful because the government makes the Law, although whether it's Good may be much more arguable.

• lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460

People play Lawful Good Paladins while stealing everything, breaking into houses, and killing anybody they happen to not like. You'll be fine.

If you kill an innocent, a paladin will become fallen IIRC. Also if you steal from the shops and get caught all the time, the rep hit will make a paladin fallen eventually.

• pwaringpwaring Member Posts: 81
    Tresset said:

They can't use Carsomyr, unless they give it to Keldorn.

Damn, that's annoying. The forum threads I saw said that it could, and the item description on Wikia just says 'Paladins and kits'. :(
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    It also states lawful good IIRC.
    By the way, is there any way to change alignment from evil to good through hell trials (taking all good path)?
    I was going off this wikia article for the restrictions, as I haven't actually picked up the item yet: http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Carsomyr
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Arunsun said:

By the way, is there any way to change alignment from evil to good through hell trials (taking all good path)?

No, it's a one-way path to Evil ... after all, it's Hell.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,266
    edited April 2015
    Well, they can use Carsomyr, but only if they wear a helm of opposite alignment. The problem is that there is no helm of opposite alignment in BG2:EE so you would have to cheat to get one.

By the way, I actually do have a run with a blackguard following the good path. It works quite well for the most part. He is near finishing ToB and I only had one or two issues with his alignment.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Iirc the "only usable by" description only lists Paladin, but the actual code also checks for Lawful Good.
    I double-checked the item in an old save and it does now list Lawful Evil as 'not usable by' (which is a bit confusing, as it's much easier to specify who *can* use it than who can't).