Skip to content

I love the beginning portion of BG1.

To be honest, I don't think highly of BG1. I don't deny its monumental importance in gaming history, but compared to BG2, BG1 lacks in many parts even when played with EE. However, I find myself playing BG1 more often than BG2 and I realized its because I love the beginning part of BG1 after you leave candlekeep.

Having Imoen killed by a wolf and getting your entire party wiped out by a direwolf are too fun and it is nowhere to be found in modern gaming. I've seen lots of people complaining BG1 has no regards towards balance at the beginning, but don't you love it when your wimpish character who struggled against a wolf later literally becomes a god rather than having the exactly same challenge from the beginning to the end as in scaled enemies?

I miss BG1's beginning of having less than 10 HP and having to struggle to survive because it is both immersive and perfectly fits the in game narrative. I dislike modern RPGs that give you tutorial level at the beginning in combats; despite its story telling you you are in a grave danger, you roflstomp everyone and earn enough gold to afford all gears needed at the beginning. I wish more games focus on synchronizing narratives to gameplay experience rather than focusing on game difficulty balance that makes casuals angry if not equal throughout the game.

Does anyone like this part of BG1 for the same reason?

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Yes, I do like the beginning of the Bhaalspawn story.

Yes, I think that a true RPG should be the same in the level of danger for early levels.

Although I like BG1 as a whole and can't say that BG1 is worse than BG2:)

BTW, after you finish a prologue in PoE, your character becomes nearly as vulnerable as the Bhaalspawn is in the start of BG1. This is one of the things I've liked a lot in PoE.
  • Saigon1983Saigon1983 Member Posts: 157
    Yeah, I always love the start of such games, because every win in any battle is somewhat gorgeous! And every +1 weapon, or +1 defence ring is something valuable. From the middle of the BG1, and from the very start (except, maybe, Vaukin Promenade and Nalia Quest) of BG2 (and from the 4th chapter of IWD) these games are... "Hmm, why there are so many useless loot, and for what purpose I need +100500 gold?" and almost every battle (except 4-5 fierce pals) is like another "Oh, man! Again?" rather than 10000 exp for a mob...
  • Saigon1983Saigon1983 Member Posts: 157
    edited April 2015
    From this point of view, by the way, IWD seems more balanced and the meaning of money is more necessary. That's why I love these games more than BG (I don't mean storyline, though)
  • ApocryphaApocrypha Member Posts: 105
    I love them both. I love steamrolling over everyone with my god-like abilities, and I love having to struggle to survive in the beginning--because it's more rewarding when you DO.
  • IntoTheDarknessIntoTheDarkness Member Posts: 118
    Mortianna said:

I wish the no chunking/2 hit minimum before death mechanic were removed for first level characters, however.

Is this a new addition to BGEE? I don't like it... 1 hit death is fun and should be fully expected at low levels, including perma death. And is dismemberment gone in EE?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724

Mortianna said:

I wish the no chunking/2 hit minimum before death mechanic were removed for first level characters, however.

Is this a new addition to BGEE? I don't like it... 1 hit death is fun and should be fully expected at low levels, including perma death. And is dismemberment gone in EE?
    No, it was always in BG. Chunking/dismemberment /permadeath is both in the vanilla game and in the EE.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    edited April 2015
    bengoshi said:

Mortianna said:

No, it was always in BG. Chunking/dismemberment /permadeath is both in the vanilla game and in the EE.
    As was the 2 hit death at level 1 (when a character is at full HP). It's funny that after playing BG for years, I only discovered this about a month ago...
    Post edited by Mortianna on
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Mortianna said:

As was the 2 hit death at level 1 (when a character is at full HP). It's funny that after playing BG for years, I only discovered this about a month ago...

...including finding out that Monty and Xzar cannot be chunked.
    Sorry, what, huh, omg, you don't say....? Since playing bg from 1998 I have never heard of either of these...... What is the first and why is the second true?
    edited April 2015
    @Iroumen At first level, party members who are at their full HP total cannot die from one hit. For example, if Xzar at first level (4 hp) gets hit by a Flesh Golem (9-23 dmg per hit), he will only take 3 dmg on the first hit, leaving him with 1 hp left. It doesn't matter how much damage an enemy deals--1st level deaths have been nerfed since original BG.

As for why Xzar and Monty cannot be chunked, your guess is as good as mine. (edit: I was wrong!)

Xzar has a plot-significiant dialogue with his Zhentarim contact (Nieman in Baldur's Gate city), so maybe the developers wanted to make sure they would be able to stick around until chapter 5.

My in-game theory is that they're under some sort of modified geas, which would explain why they work together despite hating each other.
    Post edited by Mortianna on
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Thanks for the explanation. Sounds strange indeed
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    To me the best thing about early BG1 is how much it feels like the beginning of a long journey and the starting point of an incredible destiny. Many games claim to feature a grand, epic adventure, but almost none* truly mean it the way the Baldur's Gate series does. Going from level 1 to near-40, exploring so many different and dangerous places both wordly and otherwordly and being involved in so many plots and happenings, all the while being able to recall your humble beginnings in Candlekeep that will eventually come to feel a million miles away. There are very few things like it in gaming.

* The only other game I can think of is the Mass Effect trilogy, which is perhaps unsurprising as it shares the feature of importing your character into the sequels.
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    I don't get it. My characters can die in one hit at level one.
    @Gotural Are they at their full HP when they're one-hit killed? I've tested it both in the original and EE versions on core difficulty and the same mechanic is in effect.
    @Iroumen

I was wrong about not being able to chunk Montaron and Xzar after 1st level. I just tested a 5th level Monty and Xzar against Sarevok on insane difficulty and he chunked them both. ^.^

The 2-hit kill and no chunking at 1st level still applies though. Xzar only took 3 HP from Sarevok at 1st level.
  • jesterdesujesterdesu Member Posts: 373
    Some early at the start of BG suck though, especially ones you'd struggle to avoid without foreknowledge, Tarnesh and the Neera fight come to mind and to some extent the one where you pick up Garrick.

I always solo so I guess I struggle more with these fights, but when 1 x magic missile (cast time 1) or 1 x lightning bolt/ flame arrow can kill charname it seems a bit sucky to me.
    When you thought you knew everything ... :blush:
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    bengoshi said:

@Mortianna @IntoTheDarkness @Gotural If a character's max hitpoints are < 14 and the damage is >14 then the damage will be set to max hitpoints -1. This makes the game less chunky on low levels, but only disables single hit kills if your low max hp character is actually fully healed. This is a player friendly feature.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/630200/#Comment_630200

So, in theory, you could conceivably get through the entire game without dying provided you were able to get yourself healed to max HP each time you took a hit, and you never leveled up. Am I getting that right?
    procco said:

bengoshi said:

@Mortianna @IntoTheDarkness @Gotural If a character's max hitpoints are < 14 and the damage is >14 then the damage will be set to max hitpoints -1. This makes the game less chunky on low levels, but only disables single hit kills if your low max hp character is actually fully healed. This is a player friendly feature.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/630200/#Comment_630200

So, in theory, you could conceivably get through the entire game without dying provided you were able to get yourself healed to max HP each time you took a hit, and you never leveled up. Am I getting that right?
    Or you could play a mage or sorcerer with a 3 CON and still level normally.
    You would get killed by the first Magic Missile unfortunately.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Nope. Poison would wreck you, as well.
  • James_MJames_M Member Posts: 140
    I agree, IntoTheDarkness. Such a rush beating the Ogre for the Girdle of Piercing, south of the Friendly Arm. In the beginning of BG1 you had to scrounge for gold! I also enjoyed Gothic II very much partly because you were such a weakling in the beginning that even a Firefly could take you down! Level 1 is fun!