Skip to content

Must Do List Before Rescuing Imoen?

I plan on having Imoen in my party, so I'm wondering what all *must* be done in order to complete as much as possible before setting things in motion. Off the top of my head, the only thing that I can think of is completing Renal Bloodscalp's task for the Shadow Thieves. And that would only be necessary if I side with the vampires.

Of course, there are a few time sensitive tasks, but I'm somewhat familiar with most of those and will put them off until I return from the Underdark.

The EE version adds quite a bit, though, so I'm concerned about progressing at a fast pace and killing the game due to weak design. Is it true, for instance, that Hexxat isn't available when the party returns from the Underdark? What about the other new NPCs and new quests? I'm hoping that the EE version doesn't force a very linear path for a series well known for its open style of play. Any tips and suggestions are appreciated.

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,266
    I don't think the new NPC's quests are time sensitive. You will probably have a much bigger issue with the original NPCs. The main thing, I think, is making sure you are well equipped for the great journey. Make sure you get as many spell scrolls as possible and at least a few +3 or even +4 weapons.
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    You complete a set of quests for either the thieves or the vamps. And get 15k gold to pay the voyage. Nothing else is mandatory.

The EE doesn't effect the game in terms of pace. It just brings additional content.
  • JidokwonJidokwon Member Posts: 395
    Thank you for the replies.

I realize that nothing is really mandatory, but I'm hoping to complete as many quests as I can. The example I provided above is one that would be impossible to do if you sided with the vampires. Likewise, if Hexxat (and the others) cease to exist after returning from the Underdark, I would be missing out on a lot of content.

So the question remains: What all *must* be done before leaving for the Underdark, as they won't be obtainable or completable after returning?
  • ItstucktwiceItstucktwice Member Posts: 182
    edited April 2015
    Somebody could correct me if im wrong (I often am) But I believe any quest that can be completed in chapter 2 can be completed in chapter 6. Although it is worth noting that if you don't complete the Mae'var questline before you choose to side with Bodhi, I do believe you lose that chance, as the thieves will be hostile to you.

Whether or not completing every quest in chapter 2 makes sense from a roleplaying perspective is up to you. The former sees you stalling the rescue of your sister, and the latter sees you:
    stalling the rescue of your souls.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    OP is correct that Hexxat can't be recruited in Chapter 6, though. I don't know about the other EE NPCs.
  • ArcalianArcalian Member Posts: 359
    concerning Hexxat
    I didn't recruit her in SOA, she was still summonable in TOB, when I chose not to do that, she turned up in the inn in Amkethran!

Speaking personally, I usually do all quests except Windspear Hills before going to rescue Imoen. Sometimes I leave the quest for the Five Flagons actors until then as well.
  • claudiusclaudius Member Posts: 82
    I'm not sure why I couldn't do Korgan's quest. I think I was in chapter 2 or 3 and he bailed out when all the undead attacked in the room with the egyptian image on the ground with traps on the eyes.
  • JackOfClubsJackOfClubs Member Posts: 8
    In addition to the Renal/Mae'var quest I always make sure to do all of the quests that require going to the lower level of the graveyard.
    In Chapter 6 the entrances to that area are all blocked off. This may not exactly make them impossible (I think you can still get there via the double doors in Bodhi's lair) but it is at least more inconvenient. This would include both Edwin's scroll quest and Korgan's book quest.

Also, I always do anything that requires daylight in the graveyard district (such as the Paladin and the orphan girl and the little ghost boy that wants his teddy bear). The reason is that in ch 6, the encounter with Bodhi forces the time to after dark and I once had a glitch where that became permanent. I have never had the problem since, and I am sure EE fixes it, but it was really annoying to miss out on those quests, so I now always do them in ch 2 or at least 3.

Final note: Renal disappears in ch 3 so make sure that is completed before you side with Bodhi. Otherwise even if you kill Mae'var, you won't be able to complete the quest because the room where Renal lives gets used in one of Bodhi's tasks

• mrb101mrb101 Member Posts: 68
    claudius said:

I'm not sure why I couldn't do Korgan's quest. I think I was in chapter 2 or 3 and he bailed out when all the undead attacked in the room with the egyptian image on the ground with traps on the eyes.

was your rep to high? i had that happen once and it was because my rep was to high
  • JidokwonJidokwon Member Posts: 395
    Thanks again for the replies. I would have missed out on the quests in the Graveyard. I'm about ready to recruit Hexxat and progress to rescuing Imoen from there. I'm wondering, though, do I have to complete her full quest lines or can I recruit her and properly send her back to the bar to wait for my return? Basically, I'm hoping a bug or weak design that would make her disappear won't kill my game.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    claudius said:

Once you've started Korgan's quest, you're on a timer, and it's quite a short timer. I once had him bail just after the point you describe. I'd just finished the room where he bailed in your case, but as I fought my way towards the tomb where he was expecting to find the missing Book, suddenly Korgan announced that I had taken too long, and he left.

The solution is not to recruit Korgan when you're in the middle of numerous other quests! Instead, hire him when your schedule isn't so crowded, so that you can concentrate on his quest until it's done.