Skip to content

Vampire Mist

Not the monster, I'm referring here to the way Vampires revert to their mist form when they're low on health, basically just to say, "No XP for you, punk!" Is there any reliable way to stop this from happening? I'm currently soloing, so it's next to impossible to make sure I can land a killing blow in time. I remember mention somewhere of a mod that would let you get experience when this happens, but I can't find it. Does anyone know about something like that, because getting cheated out of multiple high XP monsters is really annoying.

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    No. Vampires are supposed to turn to mist when you kill them, the only way to ACTUALLY kill them is to stake them while they're regenerating in their coffin - of course you can only do that if the story allows for it.
  • claudiusclaudius Member Posts: 82
    There are some vampires you get xp with the killing blow. They still turn into mist and I am talking about those vamps who have coffins you cannot get to. An example is in Irenicus dungeon. Another example is a scripted fight that happens after you get the money for joining a faction (vamps versus shadow thieves. In that scripted encounter you can actually kill the vamp. I think she disappears if it takes to long to kill her.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    edited April 2015
    It depends on the vampire. Some of them will turn into a Gaseous Form or a Vampire Bat without giving XP if you let them stay at Near Death for too long (maybe a round?). You can avoid this by dealing more damage quickly, or by outright destroying them with Turn Undead, Azuredge, Mace of Disruption, etc. Methods that aren't undead-specific, like Disintegrate or the Silver Sword, also work. I can confirm that @claudius is at least correct about the Ulvaryl in Irenicus's dungeon, who is scripted to turn into a mist after killing the Shadow Thieves in that room.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,266
    There is really no way to stop them from turning into bats and fleeing if they have low HP so you either have to do lots of damage fast or insta-kill them with something.

Just to set the record straight: When you kill vampires all the way and get the XP for the kill, their bodies will turn into gaseous form. When their HP drops below a certain point they will attempt to turn into bats and flee before you can get the XP. So if you get the gaseous form it means you made the kill and got the XP, if you get a bat it means they fled and you get no XP.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    Well, my problem is that since I've only got one character on my current run, it's nearly impossible to get that last hit in before they run away. I've seen it happen in between attacks in the same round. I think I'll just shell out for Azuredge and have done with it, though.
  • claudiusclaudius Member Posts: 82
    You can get xp on the Irenicus vampire. She does turn into mist even if you kill her.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    I was mainly referring to the ones in Firkraag's Dungeon, actually - I use Dungeon Be Gone a lot these days.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    Azuredge is awesome. You can also use it to kill the Adamantine Golems there from a safe distance.