Skip to content

Start a new game or carry on?

IgniseusIgniseus Member Posts: 7
Hi All

I was playing BG2:EE roughly a year ago but stopped playing due to moving house. I loaded it up to continue a few months back but it appeared the 1.3 update had installed (Steam) and removed all my mods (about half a dozen). It kind of buggered up my game so left it.
I have come to give it another go now with a fresh BG2 install and put on most of the mods I think I had. To my surprise my save loaded and all seems to work (5 minute test only though).

However, I am thinking due to the 1.3 update and the mods not 100% matching what I had on before that it might be safer to start again. What concerns me is that I appear to have done 90%+ of the quests in the first 3 chapters and am very near to entering chapter 4. Looking at this guide - http://www.bigorrin.org/amn2.htm - I'm pretty sure I've completely I've completed all the areas under chapter 2 and 3 - i just need to do the main story bit now and get Imoen.

What concerns me is that I've played 30 hours to get this far and it seems I've completed quite a chunk of the game. Without any spoilers as I've not gotten past this point before, how far am I in, have I scratched the surface or am I near half done? If more near half done I might try soldier on rather than restart.

Sorry if that was much longer than it needed to be!

Thanks
Igniseus

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,739
    Starting a new game can never be bad. There's very much in this game, and with a new character of a new class/kit you can get a lot of new impressions.

It's hard to estimate. What level do your characters have? What quests have you completed? Because you can be in the chapter 4, yes, but still leave a lot of areas unexplored, unnecessary to the main plot.
  • IgniseusIgniseus Member Posts: 7
    Not sure what level my characters are till I can check but I've completed everything I am able to in the following areas which I believe is everything doable in chapter 3. The way I played it was to do everything I could before progressing the main plot.

Slums District
    Graveyard District
    Temple District
    Bridge District
    Government District
    Docks District
    Gate District
    De'Arnise Keep
    Trademeet
    Druid Grove
    Umar Hills
    Windspear Hills

Looking at location lists without trying to see spoilers, this does appear to be a good 2/3 of the games locations I've explored?

I'm not that fond of the combat to be honest, its the story, lore, world etc that I am interested in so starting again to experience a different class doesn't appeal to me unfortunately - which is why I'm hesitant to start again if I've already made significant progress through the game.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,739
    So, I guess you should continue then:) If you encounter problems, just post on this forum and people will help you!
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    Have you done all NPC-related quests as well? If you've only done the quests that involve your stabile party, your missing out on a lot of content, especially when regarding EE-specific NPC's.

I'd say in any case that you've covered about 50% of SoA. Do you have ToB installed as well. Other than those things, I very much agree with @bengoshi
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Honestly, I really want to sing "carry on my wayward so-oooon" but as someone who has had this happen to him before, I'd say starting over might be prudent. It really depends on how many mods you installed, and how much mod content you've seen. If they are rule-change mods like Rogue Rebalancing, you may have some problems with your character's abilities (at least that was my experience).
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    @booinyoureyes Let's sing it together!
  • hisplshispls Member Posts: 166
    You're about at the halfway mark. Mind you there may well be some somewhat hidden content in those areas that you missed.

Consider also romance options with different NPCs and each class of protagonist gets a different stronghold with unique content AND there's lots of NPCs to play with. You could very easily start from scratch and find new stuff, play with new NPCs or try a different character class.

• booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Yannir said:

@booinyoureyes Let's sing it together!

@Yannir isn't that the only way to do it?
  • IgniseusIgniseus Member Posts: 7
    Thanks guys. I have started again as an archer instead of a fighter though I'm playing with an all good party again so same party setup. I can't ever remember having a Stronghold so must not have got to that bit yet on my previous playthrough. So far i'm remembering all the quests as i reach them but its not so bad as it at least refreshes me on it all for when I catch up, which I'm already about 1/3 caught up.