Skip to content

Trademeet wrap-up ... maybe?

FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
I have brought most of the Trademeet quests to a conclusion ... I think. There's still Rasaad and his rival cult problem; I'm undecided whether to do this now or later. There's also a house that apparently belongs to someone named Mazzy; I understand this is yet another NPC, but I've never met her so don't know if she's to be encountered here or elsewhere. Also, I will be back later to buy some stuff.

I had thought that the Smithy was the main shop here; I bought Keldorn a new toy there (+2 crossbow) to reward him for his vigilance. (I decided that the Robe of the Good Archmage was a bit too pricey for what it did). But there is a small open market in the South part of the city that has some good stuff. I need to check out all the smaller merchants before I go, and make up a shopping list. With the Djinn gone and trade restored, the town now lives up to its name. They have items like a +3 returning throwing hammer with a huge bonus vs giants, a +3 club with extra acid damage, etc. Yummy!

Ack! My reputation went up by 2 points; I'm now popular! Have to watch out or people like Edwin and Hexxat wont talk to me at all. I was about to panic until I remembered that just recruiting Viconia will drop my rep by 2. Whew! I think it's odd that if you do bad stuff, you can restore your good name by donating to a temple and hiring holy PR men to spin-doctor your reputation, while if you want to drag your name through the mud you need to mostly go out and roast and eat babies or something. There should be evil Temples where you can drop your rep by just being seen walking through the door. Like, a Temple to good old dad, maybe?

Hmm, maybe I should insert a spoiler warning here. Better safe than sorry, I guess.

I decided to take Hayes out; thinking about the rancid little turncoat still being alive was getting on my nerves. As I expected, the ever-vigilant Trademeet constabulary totally ignored the entire incident. It's enough to make me yearn for the old Flaming Fist days; now THEY knew how to make a murderer feel wanted! I'm going to take his bloody tunic back to the Copper Kettle and mount it there as a warning to those who would turn on me and my friends. (I have dropped a bunch of things that I no longer need on the floor there as souveniers, where they apparently remain forever; they definitely need to employ a better maid service).

The fugitive from the City proved quite easy to take out; the dead can rest easy, now that he has been brought to justice. Did he REALLY think I would fall for his lame misdirection ploy? Oh please! One of the oldest tricks in the book. The family feud also resolved easily. The tomb guardians were a joke and the mayor showed up at the last minute to offer a non-violent third alternative.

I still think I should have had the option to become King of Trademeet, but what can you do? I'll have to settle for the title of Hero. Hey! They erected cool statues of us all in Town Square!

Not sure where to head from here; I STILL haven't gone to answer that "urgent" call for help from the Umar hills, which I received many months ago. Hope they are all still alive up there! It's nearby, so maybe I'll check it out before returning to the city. Decisions, decisions.
Post edited by FrdNwsm on

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,266
    Umar Hills is about as big a quest as Windspear Hills and Trademeet. If you don't want a bunch of new quests you may want to skip it for now.
  • FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    I can't believe I dropped 50 large on buying stuff in Trademeet! Talk about impulse buying; I was like a kid in a candy shop. Now I'm totally broke again.

One of the things I bought was a scroll of improved haste. Is this really an improvement? It only affects one target, and while it says there are no fatigue aftereffects, I never noticed such a thing after using regular haste. Am I just not seeing it?

The good people of the Umar Hills have lasted this long; assuming they are still alive, they can wait a little longer. I'm heading back to the Copper Kettle and try to pick up some fast gold from local quests. Also, I just recalled that I left Aerie stuck in that silly circus tent. At the very least I should see what she has to say, and relocate her to the Kettle along with everybody else.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    Regular Haste causes fatigue after it wears off (but not always, I think?). Improved Haste is *much* better if you're casting it on someone with many attacks per round.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    FrdNwsm said:

There's also a house that apparently belongs to someone named Mazzy; I understand this is yet another NPC, but I've never met her so don't know if she's to be encountered here or elsewhere.

Elsewhere ...
    FrdNwsm said:

I STILL haven't gone to answer that "urgent" call for help from the Umar hills, which I received many months ago.

... and this is why you haven't yet met Mazzy.
    FrdNwsm said:

One of the things I bought was a scroll of improved haste. Is this really an improvement? It only affects one target, and while it says there are no fatigue aftereffects, I never noticed such a thing after using regular haste. Am I just not seeing it?

If your party are recently-rested before using Haste, then the fatigue effect doesn't strike immediately. If they were already getting close to needing a rest, or if you use Haste twice without resting between, then you'll see fatigue as soon as Haste wears off.

Improved Haste not only avoids the fatigue effect, but it also doubles the character's attacks-per-round, as compared with ordinary Haste's one extra attack-per-round. For a character who has only one natural attack-per-round (such as a Mage using a Sling), that's the same result ... but for a character who starts with multiple attacks (such as your front-line warriors, presumably), doubling their attacks is obviously much more than one extra attack.
    edited April 2015
    Yes, I noticed that bit about doubling attacks. Clearly it's best used on high level fighters. I'm debating whether it's a good idea to take up a spell slot that way. It's probably a situational thing, for when you want to take down one big really dangerous enemy really fast. I suspect I'll find a use for it when I finally decide to take on Firkraag again.

I guess I never noticed fatigue when using regular haste because I usually keep my group well rested. I hate it when the troops start whining about how tired they are! Even Keldorn starts moaning; buck up, soldier!
    Tresset said:

Umar Hills is about as big a quest as Windspear Hills and Trademeet. If you don't want a bunch of new quests you may want to skip it for now.

Bloody heck! OK,glad I went back to the Copper Kettle then. I need some quick cash. Still, some of those items were really nice. :smiley:

Also, I'm getting a feel for what spells are good and which are a waste of time. Basically, it looks any attack spell that's totally negated by a saving throw is out, unless there is a serious negative mod to the die roll. In BG1 your opponents would fail their save far more often than not. When you are fighting things of high level in BG2, that situation seems reversed. I can't even remember the last time one of Jaheira's charm spells worked against a human opponent.
    FrdNwsm said:

Clearly it's best used on high level fighters.

Yes.
    FrdNwsm said:

I'm debating whether it's a good idea to take up a spell slot that way.

Yes. Later in the game, especially when you get to ToB, it's worth more than one spell slot ... by the time you get to the end of ToB, it's probably the most important of all level 6 spells, because against some of the very high-level end-game enemies, the key to your own survival is to kill the enemy quickly.
    FrdNwsm said:

It's probably a situational thing, for when you want to take down one big really dangerous enemy really fast. I suspect I'll find a use for it when I finally decide to take on Firkraag again.

Yes. However, even against ordinary mobs, they'll go down much faster if you double your front row's attacks, although in that case it's not generally necessary.
    Yeeesh! I'm not even going to think about ToB yet. Given my current rate of progress and how much of the game I apparently have still to go, it will probably take me at least another 6-7 months just to finish SoA. Maybe even longer.
  • reap_iireap_ii Member Posts: 43
    edited April 2015
    Dont know if anyone mentioned this yet but dual wielding with imp haste and crit hla is boss killer. Whether they are immune to crits or not they will be hit a ton.
    reap_ii said:

Dont know if anyone mentioned this yet but dual wielding with imp haste and crit hla is boss killer. Whether they are immune to crits or not they will be hit a ton.

I don't have anyone with dual wielding ability, nor have I gotten any of this HLA stuff. I know the acronym stands for high level abilities, but I don't even know what those are.
    Improved Haste + Melf's Minute Meteors is also a nice combination.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Improved haste also doubles Belm's extra attacks, a high lvl fighter dual wielding with belm and kundane with improved haste can get up to 10 attacks/round!
    OK, I was going to start a new thread and ask about Belm, but you have answered it. Thanks. The various forms of haste are said to be non additive, but Belm's description states that the extra attack is due to good balance, not a self cast haste spell. I just wasn't sure how the game mechanics treated it.

Melf's meteors are treated as missile weapons with regard to haste? I had no idea; thanks!

As long as we are on the subject, how is the Tuigan bow treated? Similar to Belm?
    FrdNwsm said:

how is the Tuigan bow treated? Similar to Belm?

Yep! You can get to 5 APR which is the max unhasted. Also, it's possible to get to 5 unhasted APR dual-wielding with only one of {Belm, Kundane, Scarlet Ninja-to}. Either way, IH gets you to 10.
    Also, how the heck do you guys tell this stuff? With 6 of my guys and any number of opponents engaged in battle, with everybody casting spells and wielding weapons, I am totally unable to keep track of details like how many attacks everybody is getting. I just trust the computer to do its job.
    edited April 2015
    Lastly, is there anyplace I can buy a gem bag? Mine has gone missing. I probably sold the gems in it and then accidentally sold the bag as well. I have checked the usual merchants that I sell to but neither of them has it in stock. Probably someone like Roger the Fence or one of the lesser merchants in Trademeet has it.
    Number of attacks is listed on the Inventory and Record screens, next to where damage is.

There's a gem bag at the Adventurer's Mart, the guy upstairs in Gaelan Bayle's house sells one, and Gorch in Mae'Var's guildhall sells one. There are probably others.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    FrdNwsm said:

Also, how the heck do you guys tell this stuff? With 6 of my guys and any number of opponents engaged in battle, with everybody casting spells and wielding weapons, I am totally unable to keep track of details like how many attacks everybody is getting. I just trust the computer to do its job.

As @joluv said, you can check your current number of attacks with any given weapon(s) from the character record page. There is a bug in th current build of bg2, if you use melf's minute meteors and run out of them, once you swap to your melee weapon, you keep the increased number of attacks. Until you save and load. A load fixes up the bug. Same for the energy blades spell. (A hla, souped up melf's meteors)