Skip to content

Potion of Insight - totally pointless?!

You drink the potion to get a WISDOM of 18 and get to memorize more CLERIC spells. I select the ones into my SPELLBOOK then go to REST to memorize them...

I took off 'REST until Healed Option' and Rested but the effects of the potion wears off before you are able to memorise the spells. So what is the point?

Also where to buy a POTION bag?

Comments

• KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    Travel to Watcher's Keep. Once you're there, accept the quest and go upstairs. One of the priests is a shopkeeper and will sell you the Potion Bag. You don't have to enter the dungeon if you don't want to.
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    The potion of insight has only one use, as far as I know. Wizards can use it to achieve better results from the Wish-spell. Limited Wish as well.

For clerics it's pointless. Unless you you use it for both a cleric and wizard, then get them wish-rested while the potion is active.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Helps with Lore too ...
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    The only regular use for the potion is when a low-WIS Mage or Sorcerer wants to cast Wish or Limited Wish.

It can very occasionally be useful for boosting Lore, to identify items, if there's no-one around who can otherwise identify them ... for example, that might be the case if you were soloing the Spellhold dungeon with a non-arcane character. Not a common circumstance, though.

There are one or two points in the game where useful additional dialogue options appear only if the speaking character has high WIS, so the potion might be useful if no-one in your party has naturally high WIS. The only example I can recall off the top of my head is when speaking to the Spectator in the City-of-Caverns, but there may be other cases.
  • DregothofTyrDregothofTyr Member Posts: 229
    Oh wow, @bengoshi I can't tell you how long I have been looking for that list of stat-driven dialogue choices. Is that all of them in the base game? And do you have a similar list for BG (or even IWD)?
  • DruericDrueric Member Posts: 42
    Isnt Lore based on intelligence?
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Drueric said:

Isnt Lore based on intelligence?

Lore is based on class and level, but gets bonuses from both INT and WIS.
  • JackOfClubsJackOfClubs Member Posts: 8
    edited April 2015
    bengoshi said:

The "dragonslayer" in one of the tents in Trademeet:
    Wilfred: Too bad I was by myself at the time. I could only gather as much gold as I could carry. Still, it was enough to make me plenty wealthy. Plus, it was a good deed, which is my forte.
    You don't look like someone who could single-handedly slay a dragon! What's the real story here? (Wisdom 15-16)
    I'm wise enough to see right through your story, Wilfred. You're lying. (Wisdom 17+)

Nifty. I've seen most of the other responses, but I guess I've never bothered to talk to that guy after the first time through, which was probably with a low-WIS fighter. I am heading out to Trademeet soon in my current campaign, so I will have to check that out.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,727
    Yes, those are all wisdom-related dialogues in BG2.

For IWD, @elminster reported it here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/577662/#Comment_577662

As for BG1, I haven't found dialogue lines based on WIS. In BG1, there're a lot of situations where your Reaction adjustment is checked (mind you, not raw CHA score, but a Reaction adjustment)

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/313659/#Comment_313659

For Reaction adjustment choices in BG1 check http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/30864/are-there-any-charisma-based-dialogue-lines-in-bg-1-and-2 and http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/22492/conversations-and-stats-compilation-spoilers-perhaps - they cover all the options.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited May 2015
    And if wisdom's bonus to saves vs certain spells was implemented it would also grant a up to +4 bonus to saves. depending on how high your wisdom was without the potion. (Basically a all mind-affecting spells).

Unfortunately, that is missing currently.
  • DregothofTyrDregothofTyr Member Posts: 229
    Do you have the list of other stat driven dialogue choices in BG2/ToB, e.g. Charisma and Intelligence?
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    edited May 2015

And if wisdom's bonus to saves vs certain spells was implemented it would also grant a up to +4 bonus to saves. depending on how high your wisdom was without the potion. (Basically a all mind-affecting spells).

Unfortunately, that is missing currently.

I would suspect that this was the real reason that the potion exists, given that the original devs apparently decided not to implement the "magic defense adjustment" only at the last minute (it's still listed in the original game manual, in fact).

• ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    A lot of the stuff from the manual was actually just copy-pasted from the player's handbook tables. Like Thieves/bards climb walls, read language, hear noises, and read language skills being listed but not used in-game.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    ^ This.