Skip to content

Proposal: Yoshimo's chase (major spoilers)

_Connacht__Connacht_ Member Posts: 169
Unless you cheat, Yoshimo always dies in Spellhold, because of the compulsion given by Irenicus.

I propose to give the possibility to start a dialogue with Yoshimo when he reaches 0 HP with these three possibilities (obviously only if you like the idea):

"please, finish me CHARNAME, so that I can escape from my geass, otherwise I will be forced to chase you even in Hell"

1. "as you wish" (you deliver the final blow) ----> Yoshimo dies as normal

2. "I can't kill you, Yoshimo. But I can't let you to interfere with my struggles" (incapacitate him) ---> Yoshimo is left severely wounded, so he will take time to recover and won't chase you

However, Bodhi finds him first. She vampirizes him, restoring his body and giving him very nice powers. You will find a very powerful vampire Yoshi in the graveyard (imagine a stealth level drain with backstabbing), just in front of the only entrance to the catacombs, waiting for you. I would make this battle very difficult and dramatical.

If you decide, in Spellhold, to go directly in the underdark rather than accepting Saemon's offer, you will find a much weaker Yoshimo in Bodhi's chamber, because he hadn't enough time to complete the vampirization process and restore every wound.

Final surprise: since Yoshimo is weaker and not fully vampirized, Irenicus' bind hasn't been yet fully "overwritten" by Bodhi's curse, and there is a sort of conflict between Yoshi's mind, heart and soul (which can also include his friendship with CHARNAME).
Then, why not giving the possibility to bring Yoshimo's body and Bodhi's heart to the temple ruins?
Everything would be erased by the power of Amaunator. You now have a final free Yoshimo.
This would be the only way for letting him revive.

This difference would also give a reason for dismissing Arain: you miss a lot of XPs and loot, but in change you have a much easier fight later (for a little weaker party) and might get back Yoshimo.

3. "I can't kill you Yoshimo. We will meet again." (you knockout him) ---> Yoshimo is unconscious, but still healty

If you decide to refuse Saemon's offer, Yoshimo will chase you in the underdark. There is a small possibility (5-10%) that he will randomly trigger when you roam around, and a larger possibility that he will appear when you rest (35-40%). In this case, the confrontation is inevitable and you will have to kill him as usual. He could bring in some assassins or vampires, just for making the fight interesting.

If you are morphed into a drow by Avalon, he won't recognize you. You have the possibility to avoid a fight, or he might flee.

Anyway you will meet him later.

When you encounter Elhan, if you didn't meet (or kill) Yoshimo, some rangers will come in saying that they captured a suspicious human wandering in the shadows, that is him.
Elhan and his mages will ask to you about him, and you will have to choose whether to lie or tell the truth, to let Yoshimo be killed or spare him.
If you tell them that Yoshimo is a traitor controlled by Irenicus, they will kill him no matter what you say next.
If you tell them that he is a friend of yours and you have faith in him so he surely wasn't doing anything wrong, the war sages will recognize that you are protecting him and that he's under a magical lock.
For your goodwill, and in exchange of a bit of your health, they will reverse the bind (it's too powerfull to be removed), so that he will be tied to you. Congratulations, Yoshimo is again one of the party!

If you accepted Saemon's offer, Yoshimo will come back to Athkatla and track you down after you arrive. The possibilities are the same as in the underdark, but with a lot of assassins around.
Maybe you might discover that he also convinced Aran that you and Bodhi are allied or something else. Anyway the shadow thief are now hostile to you, and later in the catacombs, Arkhanis will attack both the vampires and "CHARNAME the traitor!"
Yoshimo might be killed in a random encounter or, if he didn't spawn, in Bodhi's chamber (not as a vampire). Another possibility is that he left his assassins waiting for you, but then tried to find where Irenicus is and reach him. You might randomly encounter him wandering in Tethyr's forest roaming around, or in Suldanesselar while pursuing you. Killing him should be somehow hard, for the challenge.

Anyway, whatever decision you made, if you didn't kill him you will finally find Yoshi even in Hell for the final confrontation with Irenicus. He promised that, right? And he was binded to Irenicus after all. Good kill.

(heya, maybe, if you manage to kill Irenicus without killing Yoshimo, he might show up later in the pocket plane, in a sort of limbo just like Sarevok, with a blind bind to nothing... unless you find a way for setting him free)

Comments

• lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited April 2015
    Sounds like a good mod idea. But a bit too detailed for bg standarts. I think it would be a nightmare to code and even then, there would be bugs galore. So many things could go wrong.
  • _Connacht__Connacht_ Member Posts: 169
    Well, not everything should be added, maybe only one or two things.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    edited April 2015
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    bengoshi said:

May worth a look for @CrevsDaak and @Lemernis who are in charge of the Yoshimo mod.

There is a Yoshimo mod? I have grown quite fond of the guy, in my current game, I found he is a very capable and extremely versatile character. I liked him better than Hexxat who needs a lot of micromanagement and is a bug-invitation with her death mechanics.

• LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Yeah, "Keeping Yoshimo" allows you to keep him around by having him avoid the Spellhold encounter to begin with. Yoshi drops out in Brynlaw and rejoins before the party departs. There's a storyline for why. The mod's aims are very modest in that respect, i.e., he's not romanceable, and there's no additional dialogue outside of that added (relatively simple) subplot. The mod does give you one extra battle, though, and an item.

It's been a long time since I've played Keeping Yoshimo, but I loved having him around to the end of ToB. He's one of my favorite characters for SoA (and ToB via this mod).
  • _Connacht__Connacht_ Member Posts: 169
    Lemernis said:

Yeah, "Keeping Yoshimo" allows you to keep him around by having him avoid the Spellhold encounter to begin with. Yoshi drops out in Brynlaw and rejoins before the party departs. There's a storyline for why. The mod's aims are very modest in that respect, i.e., he's not romanceable, and there's no additional dialogue outside of that added (relatively simple) subplot. The mod does give you one extra battle, though, and an item.

It's been a long time since I've played Keeping Yoshimo, but I loved having him around to the end of ToB. He's one of my favorite characters for SoA (and ToB via this mod).

Do you think that this thread could be suitable for a mod too? Maybe not instead of Keeping Yoshimo, but together, depending on player's decisions.
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    I had never heard about the Keeping Yoshimo mod before reading this thread. I'll definitely have to download it for my next run through. Yoshi is my bro, and I hated losing him!