Skip to content

New recruit!

MastaPangbornMastaPangborn Member Posts: 7
edited April 2015 in New Players (NO SPOILERS!)
Hello everyone, im new to the forum. I just got Icewind dale, and quickly realized im going to need alot of help. I had to give this game a shot as i have just gotten done reading the entire book series. I know this game will be amazing after i get the hang of it. Anyways advise/tips are always nice. Like how to kill the very first group of goblins...lol
Post edited by MastaPangborn on

Comments

• joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    Welcome! If you describe your party, people will be able to give more relevant advice.
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    Welcome!
    Enjoy this great game.
  • MastaPangbornMastaPangborn Member Posts: 7
    I just started with the basic party option. I think ive figured out what i did wrong though. Turns out Icewind dale does not start you out with any basic gear, so it seems i was trying to punch the goblins to death... No wonder that didnt work out so well. xD

I also just got Bulders gate EE. Which one is easier? Im completely new to this type of rpg, so ive got a lot of learning to do. Im assuming BG is in the same realm as Drizzt considering its a major town in Ferun?

Thanks for the warm greetings, ill try to keep the noobing to a minimum. :]
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    I'd say that Baldur's Gate would be the easiest game to start out on. Icewind Dale has some pretty tough battles early on, while Baldur's Gate gives you a chance of developing your character a bit before you deal with the really tough fights. You'll just need to explore some of the side areas first before diving into the main quest. You don't have that option with Icewind Dale.
    That sounds a bit better for me, im kinda a treasure hunter. I do not like to let loot go. And i absolutely hate it when i cant get into chests, and ive already found a few.. I need a thief, but refuse to play one. lol
  • MhamzaMhamza Member Posts: 228
    Baldur's Gate is more story focused and Icewind Dale is more about the combat. I'd advise you to complete Baldur's Gate first so you can get a sense of what's to come with Icewind Dale. That said, welcome to the forums!
  • ZyzzogetonZyzzogeton Member Posts: 526
    edited April 2015
    Crowd control.

IWD is all about crowd control, particularly when you're starting out. A Mage using Magic Missile sounds cool, but stuff like Sleep and Grease are far more useful.

The more you can make it so that enemies can't even attempt to hit you, the better.
    So i started Bulders gate with a Dwarven defender. How is that in relation to a normal fighter. From what i understand they are like fighters, but hit less hard, and have alot more ac. He has axe ++ and sword and shield ++. But when i equip my medium shield it gives me -1 ac? Should that not be a +1? Or because im just used to 5e, with the different rules? How would you guys make your party? I was going to to with a typical party, fighter x2, mage, rogue, cleric, and ranger. Any better ways for a first playthrough?
  • YupImMadBroYupImMadBro Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 347
    In 2e, a lower AC is better.
    A Dwarven Defender has large advantages over a plain fighter with relatively small disadvantages. Their AC isn't any better, but they have more hit points, they get physical damage resistance, and the Defensive Stance ability gives even more physical damage resistance and bonuses to saving throws.

AC: Determines how often you get hit. Lower is better.
    Physical damage resistance: Makes you take less damage when you do get hit. Higher is better.
    Saving throws ("saves"): Determine whether you can avoid certain effects from magic, poison, etc. Lower is better.

Somewhat confusingly, bonuses are often listed as positive (like +1) even when their actual effect is to lower something, like AC or saves.

Unlike in IWD, the other members of your party in BG will be NPCs that you meet. They have distinct personalities and scripted dialogue. Your party can change throughout the game as you meet and interact with different characters, who often come with their own required quests. You'll probably eventually want a party that's not too far away from what you described, but there's a lot of flexibility.
  • ZyzzogetonZyzzogeton Member Posts: 526
    edited April 2015
    Oh wait BG.

Use ranged weapons. That's pretty much it.
    Thanks for the info joluv. Thst will really help. I just started playing d&d as ive run out of good rpgs. And I need my medieval fantasy! But the difference in rules is really getting me. Now that im getting this game a bit more im really enjoying it. I looked up some early secret stuff, like the diamond in the tree. (500 gold at lvl 1 is awesome!) But I cant seem to find the ring of wizadry. I believe I have the newest version of BG. Hope its still there, otherwise my mage is useless for a while. Is it in the same zone where I meet my dead stepdaddys friends lool
    O are there any good throwing ace weapons, and can I pick them up after I throw them?
    edited April 2015
    The Ring of Wizardry is still there on the Friendly Arm Inn map, at x=2554, y=3757. That's at the southern edge of the map near the center, under an evergreen tree. You can hold down the tab key to highlight containers/doors/loot.

You can't pick up throwing axes (or any projectiles) after you've thrown them, but magical returning throwing weapons exist. Unfortunately, only one of them (an axe) is in BG1, and it's near the end of the game. There are also magical throwing axes +1 in Beregost, but they don't return when you throw them.

EDIT: Two things. First, you might think about moving this thread to the "New Players (NO SPOILERS!)" forum, especially since it's not really about IWD anymore. (Click the little gear icon at the top right to edit it.) Second, that forum has a nice little guide that's probably worth reading: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/1992/basic-game-tips-for-new-players
    Thanks for that, im new to forums, so some mistakes will be made. :/ do you think its worth contining to buy throwing axes as a tank, or am I just wasting gold? Well until I getthe magically returning axe. Im gonna use that. Too awesome not to. Ill have to work on not yelling TEMPUS Iin my living room as I throw it! Haha. So do you guys read the Drizzt series? I cannot be the only one!
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Hey, welcome! It sounds like you've got some good advice so far. I'll try and add to it.

Throwing axes are fine, so long as you use them sparingly. The cost isn't really an issue, as they're pretty cheap and you'll be swimming in money before too long, but they're heavy enough that you can't carry that many. They're a fine secondary weapon, though, and of course the returning ones are fantastic.

To elaborate on the whole "lower AC is better" thing, a lot of mechanics in 2nd edition D&D are actually better when they're lower. For a full breakdown, I'll just link you to a guide a wrote a couple years back. The basic mechanics section (page 4) should tell you what you need to know.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1skil_G19ymIplOdfU8y6NWLTLkHUBwZsTihb3oFk5bU/edit?usp=sharing
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    Welcome to the forums and the games! These are awesome games.

@MastaPangborn, you mentioned that you are a treasure hunter. If you press TAB on your keyboard in Baldur's Gate, it highlights all items on the ground and all containers and doors (except secret doors) and many interactive items. It also shows the names of different NPCs (in BGEE) above their heads. TAB is my best friend in BG.

If you already knew this, then ignore my entire post.