Skip to content

Do the Twist

Uh-oh! Looks like the beholder excrement has hit the rotating air circulation device ....

Comments

• FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    "Big Al" blinked; he'd gotten a clue that there was a perilous but rewarding adventure awaiting, if only he had the presence of a certain gem. Unfortunately, he had pawned the only rogue stone he'd ever come across, seeing no use for it. Luckily he recalled where he had sold it, and redeemed it ... for a significant mark-up, of course.

Entering an door which had formerly been guarded by an impenetrable force field, he and his cronies were teleported into a small room; no foes were present but that meant little. Taking a fast scan of the area, "Al" found a door to the west leading to a dead end tiny room ... no help there. Ahead was a large open area, seemingly empty. While the spell casters proceeded to buff up, "Al" instructed Yoshimo to utilize a preventive tactic that had served them well many times in the past, starting with the Windspear expedition. The bounty hunter laid out a series of traps, preparing a minefield that would cover their retreat route if they needed to make a hasty "advance to the rear".

Meanwhile the old reliable standbys of fire elemental and skeletal warrior were summoned, and the usual buffs went into effect. Onward! When the party charged into the next room, a single figure appeared. He proclaimed that his name was Shangri-La, and engaged in a bit of the usual pointless villain pre-fight banter. Apparently the by-laws of Local 37 of the Athkatlan Villains and Scoundrels union require this to be performed prior to any public display of Evil. Suddenly, a bunch of his cronies appeared, he teleported out of sight, and ... it was on!

The obvious first target was a big fat bloated beholder; Al and Korgan berserked and ran straight at Balloon Boy, and within 2 rounds had deflated him. Meanwhile screams echoed from the small room to their rear; Shangri had dimension-doored right into Yoshimo's minefield. Hah, served the pompous buffoon right! Yoshimo, wielding Celestial Fury, was dispatched to finish him off.

Al then noticed an odd battle phenomenon. His perceptions changed, everything became crystal clear, and his actions seemed to slow down. A side effect of berserking, perhaps? Wait a minute! Not only did he feel slower, he stopped moving altogether! Yes, someone, probably the fellow named Basinette, had cast the dreaded Time Stop spell! Al watched in frustration as the guy reeled off a protection from evil, a horrid wilting thingy, and a gate spell. Bad news.

Things got pretty confusing after that. When time resumed, Viconia cast protection from evil on Al as well as herself, Edwin ran to a corner to avoid wilting, and then hit the oddly named Bassinette (or Layette, or something to do with baby furnishings) with breach and remove magic, before getting clobbered with something or other that took him out of the fight. Jaheira had popped out an Insect Plague and was now using Belm to whack some dude over the head. Unfortunately, he was some sort of vampire and promptly drained her of 4 levels(!), whereupon she expired soon thereafter. Two down.

Meanwhile Al and Korgan, having burst the beholder's bubble, were now beating on a pit fiend, stopping now and then to scarf down a healing potion. After a couple of hits the Fiend started going nuts and then vanished. The smoke had almost cleared when Yoshimo also went down; vamp boy was still up and active.Three down, but the opposition was almost gone. Al went after the vamp, while Korgan took down the now semi-defenseless Layette. Al put the vamp away, but was hit and ... also drained of 4 levels! Apparently his berserk state had worn off unbeknownst to him, leaving him vulnerable. till, he was able to join with Korgan lay Layette out. Whew! Victory!

Well, almost. The pit fiend suddenly returned? WTH? An unwelcome occurrence indeed. Viconia tossed AL her last protection from evil, and once again combat was joined. The fiend took out the doughty Korgan (four down!) but Al was able to finally send him back to the Abyss. Rod of Resurrection, we love you!

edited May 2015
    OK, post mortem comments. Looking back, it seems that the pit fiend wasn't killed by Al and Korgan the first time they engaged it; Layette apparently lost control of the creature and in desperation, hit it with a Maze spell to get it away from him? Why do people summon things that can turn against them in a heartbeat? I have totally erased all elemental summoning spells from Edwin's spell book, and replaced them with more useful things. He now routinely packs two breaches, two remove magics, two spider spawns and a bunch of monster summonings. 15% chance the damned elemental turns on you? No thanks!

Interestingly enough, whenever we use the air elemental staff to summon one, it never tries to resist our control. Must be the druid version.

Also, you would think an Undead would stand out in a crowd; we had no clue that one of the opponents was a vampire until Jaheira suddenly started to shrink.

Yoshimo's traps worked differently than expected; I had been planning to use that tiny room at the far end as a rest spot if we needed, since it had a door we could close. The traps were there to cover our retreat; we'd been luring foes into his traps as a standard tactic ever since the rescue expedition in Windspear. Seeing Shangalar teleport right into them gave me a chuckle, despite the hairiness of the situation.

I was wondering why Layette would waste a time stop spell cast for a protection from evil, then I realized later he was probably thinking ... hey ... pit fiend ... might turn on me ... get protection. I suspect the thing turned on him when his protection spell expired, and he mazed it away to gain time.

And yes, in retrospect we could probably have had fewer casualties if we had followed Al's original strategy and retreated back to the tiny room, slammed the door, and healed up and rebuffed. But the combat was so fast and furious, he got caught up in the moment and TOTALLY FORGOT the master plan. Doh!
    edited May 2015
    I went to another dimension, and all I got was this lousy staff (Korgan's still dead because the rod was down to it's last charge; plan to renew it back in town)

• lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited May 2015
    Ahaha perfect! Really loved your post, am glad I gave you the hint to this fight.

And SoM is not lousy. Edwin can cheese and solo many enemies, including beholders, with that staff's invisibility upon equipping schtick. Also, spelltrap that lasts a good time? Dispel on hit? When Edwin casts time stop himself, he can approach a heavily buffed-protected target like a dragon, and, provided the target does not have pro from magic weapons active/or it runs out during time stop, one whack (auto hit in timestop) and the target will be stripped of every combat protection and buff.

EDİT:BTW I had no idea your main was a female. ^^
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    lunar said:

I was wondering about that myself. I assume that's gameplay/story segregation, since FrdNwsm always refers to MC/Big Al as male in the summaries. Unless there's some trans*ness going on, but that strikes me as the less likely explanation for several reasons.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited May 2015
    Also, from the screenshots, I assume in the unmodded game, the fighter Ravanek has no items at all, going commando to punch your party! Unfourtunately he is no monk so he is laughably pathetic. I am surprised the devs did not fix this.

Umm. Unless he is supposed to be like that, well, as if he was just stark naked in the middle of a romantic moment with a twisted rune member and could not find the time to don his armor and weapon. (Let us just assume it was not the lich who he was with...perish the thought!) (yeah even the beholder is a better mental picture, really.) (I ship Ravanek&Layene <3)
    They're all there. I think the theory best supported by canon is RavanekxEveryone. Let that sink in for a minute or two.
    edited May 2015
    Jarrakul said:

lunar said:

I was wondering about that myself. I assume that's gameplay/story segregation, since FrdNwsm always refers to MC/Big Al as male in the summaries. Unless there's some trans*ness going on, but that strikes me as the less likely explanation for several reasons.

Arg; annoying story. When starting BG1 I generated several characters to see what various professions/races were like. Well, rogues and mages are pathetic at level 1; I got tired of being killed by wild dogs and such. Cleric was a possibility, but the best one was evil and I wanted a neutral character. I eventually settled on a male human berserker. Took forever to get decent stats. The plan was to get to a significant level (7) and then dual over to mage.

Unfortunately, after many hours of play, I accidentally erased the poor guy; I even asked on the forums here if there were any way to recover deleted files; no dice. Rather than going through all that nonsense again, I subbed the current Char, a female half-orc berserker who had gotten to level 5 before I realized that only humans could dual class. Of course, this precluded any possibility of dualing over to mage, but I was in no mood to go through it all yet another time. I did so like the idea of having a schizoid personality switching back and forth between good and evil natures. "Big Al" of course is a tip of the hat to Al Capone; but calling MyChar "Big Alice" instead somehow just didn't cut it. So, since game RP is 90% mental, I kept the classification of MC in my mind as male.

Ouch. I've only accidentally erased a save once, but... that was a bad day. My sympathies.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    I never understand people who have just one save (unless it's a no-reload, than there's no point in multiple saves). My average BG save folder consists of some 500 saves by the time I defeat Sarevok.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Son_of_Imoen: Well, over the course of a run, it takes literally tens of seconds to make multiple saves. You could be using those seconds to play BG2 instead.
    Once, long ago, I would make a save file for each character, and barring special circumstances, it would be the only save file I'd use for the character. I've never broken the habit, although I'll admit there's not much merit in it. It does help that I usually only have one game going at a time, so the quicksaves and autosaves work as backups.

Of course, I don't necessarily do this in other games, so I'm not quite sure why I still do it in Baldur's Gate. Maybe because it makes you name each save.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    Just checked my character files yesterday. I realized I had 46 different exported characters. And I have made a playthrough with at least 20 of them. That's when I realised I have been playing a lot of BG2 lately. But at least, if one of them disappears I won't feel as bad as during my first BG1 playthrough. I did not pay attention to the two guys that poison you in Baldur's Gate. I made no hardsave earlier either. And I happened to be in the undercity just before Sarevok fight. With exactly 3 min of playing before my character died because of poison. Believe me, this is just as frustrating as deleting your character.
    edited May 2015
    Well, I do make multiple saves now. I occasionally can learn from experience. But ... 500 saves??? I start deleting saved positions when I get to like 10 of them, just to avoid confusion. Now, I did recently start a re-run, so that has it's own saves, although only 2 so far.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    For me my save-games read like a story, as I give names pertaining to the situation I'm in. And the last save of a session I name with the plans of what I want to do when I next pick up the game.

One of the things I like about Baldur's Gate is save-game names can be long enough to allow complete sentences instead of just a few words like in Dragon Age. And with Dragon Age I need to start cleaning saves by the time I get to the end, as I'm usually at 500 saves well before the Landsmeet and 500 is the maximum number of saves in Dragon Age (Origins, the only one that really counts for me).
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    FrdNwsm said:

The obvious first target was a big fat bloated beholder; Al and Korgan berserked and ran straight at Balloon Boy, and within 2 rounds had deflated him.

HAHAHA! That's one of the funniest sentences I read in a long time! :D

• GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    @Son_of_Imoen - just so that you know you're not alone, I'm with you: I make archive saves at all significant decision points. This tends to result in 450-500 saves per run for BG1ee, and 650-750 saves per run for BG2ee.