Skip to content

The Rust Monster! *Insightful Forbes Article*

WithinAmnesiaWithinAmnesia Member Posts: 958
Forbes Source Article: http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidewalt/2014/09/16/the-rust-monster-a-history-and-preview-from-the-dungeons-dragons-monster-manual/

Who would absolutely Hate to fight these Ferrous Metal Eating Bastards? Hmmn, would It be a worthy encounter?

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Eh... as long as one has a trusted club, this encounter ain't nothing to sweat about.

I'd be more interested in Ropers, Aboleths, Phaerimms, Black Puddings, White Puddings and Gelatinous Cubes myself.
  • WithinAmnesiaWithinAmnesia Member Posts: 958
    edited May 2015
    @Kamigoroshi Hmmn? Please Do Tell Friend:-).
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    edited May 2015
    Rust monsters are the only monster in D&D that I know to provoke a "nuke the site from orbit" reaction from players. One friend of mine once dropped two Maximized Flamestrikes on a single rust monster that was nowhere near him, because apparently it was the only way to be sure.

Naturally, in a game I'm currently in, out druid befriended one. It helps that no one in the party is very metal-reliant.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    A party of dwarves would soil themselves if they came into contact with one.

Dwarven Defender: 1: Cleric! Pray! Pray he arse off he bastard!
    Wizard Slayer: Shoot it! Shoot it now!
    Fighter/Thief: I'm not backstabbing it. Don't he dare look at me.
    Fighter/Cleric: I only have heals n' buffing prayers ready!
    Pure Cleric: Moradin! Kill it with fire! Fire! Please!
    Battle Rager: Hold me armor. I'm gonna punch it tae death!
    Fighter/Thief: Is...did Thorik just get naked? Dumathoin preserve us...
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    If you ever get the chance, Arms and Equipment has a pretty funny idea for a mount... train a Rustmonster. You'd need to raise it to Large size for medium characters, but there are great non-metal weapons and armour available, ie Stone or Dendritic, anything made of Chitin, etc. Really nasty vs anyone using metal.

Never figured out how they'd eat gold though, or nickle/chromium. 'Nah man, My Fullplate is 200 series Stainless... duplex, biatch!' Yeah, never play DnD with anyone interested in chemistry.
  • OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564
    Had to fight one of those once in a very ill fated and even worse run game. I was playing an Artificer so I had tons of scrap laying around and I used it to lure the Rust monster into a barn and eventually became its friend. It ended up acting as the disposal unit for the Artificer's failed projects. It was kinda cool for the DM to take into account its docile nature for the game.