Skip to content

Romance between the races

Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
You get Half-Elves and Half-Orcs but why no Half-Dwarves or Half-Halflings? And what if a Dwarf and a Halfling get it on? Do they have a Dwarfling? Or is that where Gnomes come from?

Comments

• CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    There was once a thread in the old BioWare forums, where we supposedly created the "Quarterlings" which were in fact half-halfings XD

I don't know why they cannot make mixed breeds... I would definitely define Montaron as a "Dwarfling" truth be told. I don't see him that much as a delicate little being as a halfing normally looks like.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861

I don't know why they cannot make mixed breeds... I would definitely define Montaron as a "Dwarfling" truth be told. I don't see him that much as a delicate little being as a halfing normally looks like.

That's true. Maybe there could be a thread in BG2:EE where we discover he is the love-child of Kagain and Mazzy's mum?
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    For what's worth: half-dwarves already exist. Alas, only in the long dead Dark Sun campaign setting. Though even then the muls were born from rape between male dwarven slaves and female human slaves. Not only will the mother die from birth difficulties, but the bastard child will always be sterile as well.

I figure the intercourse between gnomes/halflings and humans would be pretty much the same as the intercourse between humans and ogres. Sounds very messy in any case.
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    from my understanding of dnd, a half halfing is when a giant mates with an dwarf......

but seriously, i understand the limitations on it, with how much cross breeding apparently goes on in dnd realms, you'd end up with as many different races as breed of dog. Also, have any of you ever had a child with in dnd with someone not of your race?
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    I tend to assume most races simply aren't genetically compatible. Doesn't stop folks from having fun. In fact, I imagine it'd encourage more one-night stands with an incompatible race. That's part of why my Human Noble Grey Warden always goes for dwarf prostitutes in Dragon Age: no bastards.
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    actually i thought about it and i kinda get the feeling that most of the half- races are always half human. I think that was because elves are sleek and sexy, quite feminine, but they wanted the chars to relate to humans and always feel like their chars could get a piece of fantasy......loot :D
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    There was a table of probabilities of different mix breeds that I saw somewhere. I'll see if I can dig it up.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    They are infertile with each other (Dwarves and Halflings, that is). There's one world on which there are half-Dwarves, and that's Athas (Dark Sun). Half-Dwarves are called Muls, and sterile, to boot. Halflings don't appear to be fertile with humans in 2e. The Realms has half-giants (Firbolg giants, I think) in Hartsvale, which is in the very far north. It's in the middle of the Ice Spire Mountains, and to the north and east of the Druarwood and Coldwood.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    I can't find it. But I did find a book by a third party publisher called "Bastards and Bloodlines" that talk about uncommon half-breeds.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited September 2012
    Come to think of it, Forgotten Realms has half-dwarves as well: the derro! Well, more precisely they are degenerated, murderously insane hybrids of dwarven and human stock, of which were altered by ancient twisted magic.

Harumph, can't believe I forgot those charming little buggers up until now.
  • CrazedSlayerCrazedSlayer Member Posts: 130
    Perhaps the over-representation of half-elves in this setting is the same reason elves and half-elves dominate the romance side of things; that being, they're playing it safe in presenting elves as being sexy as opposed to any suggested human-halfling, gnome-orc, elf-tiefling action going on?
  • Jedi_GnomeJedi_Gnome Member Posts: 92
    I know in the Throne of Bahl game I played, a half-gnome half-avarial was born...