Skip to content

Trouble with NPC Portraits

Brer_RabbitBrer_Rabbit Member Posts: 159
I know, two threads in a row-- professional noob alert! :p

I'm having issues getting my NPC portraits to work properly in BG:EE. I'm trying to replace Imoen and Faldorn's pictures (someone called Faldorn the "crazy cat-lady". I happen to agree, Faldorn (and Imoen) don't fit as well as I'd like). I edited the pics and I can actually use them as my own portrait, but despite being named "IMOENL", for example, Imoen refuses to change portraits. :(

I put them in my portrait folders just like my own custom pictures, and no matter how hard I look I don't see anything in here about an "Overwrite" folder. o.0

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    In the game's installation folder (the folder with baldur.exe in it), create a folder called "override".

Or you could create that same folder in the directory where your saved games and custom portraits are located.
  • Brer_RabbitBrer_Rabbit Member Posts: 159
    *heart attack* Two threads, two dev responses... I might be dead and in heaven. Or dreaming. *eyes lemonade* Or someone spiked my drink.

Thank you for the help, I'll go ahead and try that out. Good game, looking forward to pincushioning everything with my arrows of DOOM!
    edited May 2015
    @Dee: Just tried it, no cigar. :(

In the BG:EE folder>files>override, I put in "IMOENL.bmp". It didn't replace any of her portraits as I hoped they would.
    Post edited by Brer_Rabbit on
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Try placing copies of the image called IMOENM.BMP and IMOENS.BMP in the override
    All right, I'll jump on the computer for that one. Unless there's an easy way to do it on mobile I missed, most art apps do everything BUT BMP. x.x

Will come back in like 15-20mins to update...

Try placing copies of the image called IMOENM.BMP and IMOENS.BMP in the override

It WORKS!!! *happy screech* Thank you, you have no idea how nuts this has made me. I saw a note that said the "L" would resize all portraits-- apparently that only works for player characters, not NPCs. It took some painful fiddling with Microsoft Paint, but I managed to resize the images without ruining them entirely and had them show up properly in game.

Thank you @AstroBryGuy, @Dee and @Kilivitz for taking the time to make this rabbit jump for joy! Whooo!!!
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Yeah, the NPCs still have references to the *M and *S portraits in their CRE files.

I should have mentioned that you didn't need to resize the *M and *S images. The engine will auto-resize the images appropriately. All you had to do was make 2 copies of the *L image and rename them. Sorry for not being clearer.
    So I was supposed to simply rename the large image? I think I tried that with Imoen before and it just wouldn't take it. Bah, whatever, it works now and my characters look *fabuloussss!*!