Skip to content

Tips on fighting the last boss of BG1

superluccixsuperluccix Member Posts: 76
So I've made it to the end. And I actually have killed Sarevok a couple times to beat the game, however it doesnt feel right because I either have a party member dead, or some of his allies are still alive before it logs me out. Just wanted to see if you guys could help me do it in a way where all the enemies die and my guys all live.

My party consists of

MC Blackguard lvl 7
Dorn lvl 7
Imoen lvl 9
Viconia lvl 9
Neera lvl 9
Xan lvl 9

What I have been doing so far in the attempts where I do kill Sarevok is have Vic, Neera, Xan summon monsters. Then Xan casts Haste and Vic casts bless. Then saved the game.

Then I attack with a Cloudkill from Neera and Xan a staff of fireball at the same time. Then try having Xan get off another fireball before Sarevok comes up to start his dialogue.

After he starts, I then have all the summoned monsters attack Sarevok, while my MC and Dorn Imoen all use bows shooting Arrow of Ice and Acid Arrow+1 and Arrow of Fire+2 (Just some random special arrows I had) while they have their poison equipped. This is what eventually kills Sarevok.

I keep having Neera and Xan use fireballs/Cloudkills in the same area until 1 of the allies of Sarevok teleports out. (Though Im sure my fireball and Cloudkill are hitting my summoned minions, so I guess thats something i can work on) Which is pretty much Semaj. I cant remember if its him casting fireball of Angelo shooting a explosion arrow or something, but that is what primarily screws up my party.

I also dont know what those purple aura things surrounding Semaj and Angelo are, and if they are important enough for me to dispel or not.

Anyway, what would you advise? I can always go back to town to grab the stuff I stored or buy w/e. I just want to win in a way that says I completely won.

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    One of the best advices I've ever got myself about the Sarevok's fight is that by using Arrows of Dispelling you can unbuff the haste effect from Sarevok. This way you'll make him MUCH MORE easier. You can kite him then with you boots of speed/own haste spell till the end.

If you have problems with Angelo's arrows, use green scrolls of Protection from Fire, you can buy them from Thalantyr and in the Sorcerer's Sundries.

Against Semaj use your character who casted the green scroll of Protection from Magic.

By the way, Arrows of Dispelling works wonders agains Semaj and Angelo too. Combine your arrows with MC Blackguard's and Dorn's Poison Weapon - it should go through every and each their buff.

Also, use wands. Buy differen wands, especially of Paralize, and use them on your enemies, passing the wand from one party member to another.

To me, wands + scrolls + arrows very much decide everything in BG1.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    I freakin' *love* the Wand of Paralysis in BG1, not so useful in BG2 but in BG1 it's amazing. Especially on solo runs.
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    hmmm I can't remember which mod it is, but there is a mod that forces you to kill Tazok and the rest before Sarevok will die, on death they are raised as one of those tougher skeleton enemies. Made for a much interesting fight. Will try and find out which mod it is, if that's your kind of thing.

But yeah what your doing sounds fine, maybe bluff a little more. Protection from evil, Protection from fire, Standard mage bluffs mirror image, blur that sort of thing.

Also Sarevok has really high magic res, like 90% or something, so maybe lay off on the offensive spells and replace them with more buffs.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725

hmmm I can't remember which mod it is, but there is a mod that forces you to kill Tazok and the rest before Sarevok will die, on death they are raised as one of those tougher skeleton enemies. Made for a much interesting fight. Will try and find out which mod it is, if that's your kind of thing.

This is the SCS mod, the Improved end-of-BG1 battle tactical challenge component.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054

Also Sarevok has really high magic res, like 90% or something, so maybe lay off on the offensive spells and replace them with more buffs.

He had that in vanilla - not sure if he has it now though.
  • gunmangunman Member Posts: 215
    He definitely doesn't have 90% MR in BG:EE final battle (even with SCS) but he seems to have close to this in his variant that appears in the ducal palace. He resisted *all* my magic missiles and spells in that battle and that scared me thinking about the final encounter, but in the temple of Bhaal he took almost full damage from my magic missiles.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Well, this tactic has been working fine for me, but I usually try killing everyone else first , so here's a "leave Sarevok for last" tactic:

Preparation

-Buff the party with everything you've got , specially potions of heroism / strength/ haste/ power, and protect as many party members as you can from FIRE.

- Have one of your fighters be protected from magic (prot scroll, potion of protection ...) , one with a high AC (armor+shield+belt) . He will be in charge of attacking Angelo.

-Mages should memorize magic missiles (as many as you can) / mirror images and globe of invulnerability/ summonings of all kinds (having wands of summoning helps)

-Clerics/druids should buff and handle summons or strike with a sling

Battle:
    -Summon monsters to distract Sarevok , keep summoning while you take care of the others

1st target - Semaj
    -Semaj will try to disable the party, but arrows of dispelling should remove his protections, now you can strike him with missiles and magic (be fast, though, or he will try a counter attack)

2nd target - Angelo
    -If you've got a protection from magic scroll , then your fighter should be able to strike him easily , but since he won't be receiving any magical buffs, have him wear gauntlets of strength or whatever item that makes him better. That fighter will keep Angelo out of the way .

3rd Target - Tazok
    -He is highly resistant to fire, so the best you can do if strike him with missiles or magic missiles or acid. I would avoid melee combat because he's very good at it. If your party is well buffed with all sorts of potions, they will probably kill Tazok quickly.

4th Target - Sarevok
    -If you ran out of summonings, or your mage got busy , then you should keep a distance from Sarevok at all costs. He's inflicts terrible damage! The best tactic is to use missiles (your thac0 should be excellent because of your buffs) and magic missiles.
    However, if you need a bait , trying keeping someone who might survive his blows for the first few rounds, such as a fighter with lots of hp, or a buffed magic user.

Et voila!
  • FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452
    I usually use wands of monster summoning to swarm them from a distance. Meanwhile I shoot them full of arrows or other ranged weapons (+ potions of speed, heroism, etc). I think I also used web/entangle. The important is to keep everyone at a distance. Focus on Sarevok because you don't need to kill the others to win. (I assume they subsequently flee in abject terror)
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    If you can cast it, Chaos is a nasty surprise you can throw out there, very hard to resist. An easier solution could be a minor sequencer of 2 Webs, ideally preceded by Greater Malison. You can even toss a 3rd Web, or 4th. You can use Freedom of Movement (potion, spell, ring, sword etc) to make a couple melees safe to fight, and Spider Summons are also immune to web, as are Sword Spider Avengers. This is cheesey, but its viable.

That said, I think ranged is safest vs Sarevok, he's pretty sturdy in melee. A slinger can go all David vs Sarevok, but its tough.

Iirc, Darts can be useful too, if you can stun lock or Wounding the mages. You can buy plenty at Sorcerous, use them! You should be able to have a decent shot at stunning Sarevok, especially if you debuff his saves.