Skip to content

Deidre and Joluv (bonus merchants)

2»

Comments

• MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    I think they should, and most likely will, be included. I mean especially shield of balduran and robe of vecna are simply game breakingly OP, but everyone is free to use them or not. Also SCSII moves(or nerfs, can't remember which) at least those two items to ToB already, so that option is there for people looking for more balanced fights.
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    I would love to see the lower powered items distributed onto existing game merchants (Trademeet, Adventurers Mart, etc) with the higher power items being wielded by enemies in optional encounters. No content is lost, perhaps a bit of balance is achieved.
  • valkyvalky Member Posts: 386
    edited December 2012
    Messi said:

Also SCSII moves(or nerfs, can't remember which) at least those two items to ToB already, so that option is there for people looking for more balanced fights.

All of the bonus merchant's most OP items can be moved to Watchers Keep or ToB content. (Shield / Vecna / Vhailor's and even the Cloak of Mirroring)
    It only nerfs the staff of Magi and removes the infinite on equip invisibility and carsomyrs dispel can be changed, so it'd require a saving throw each time.
    (I know the options out of my mind now, cause I spent nearly the whole last weekend to install it like 4 times, cause some mod messed always the dialog.tlk and I had prior SCS v19 installed and wanted to remove it properly as well. Stupid "Fishing for Bugs" was finally the culprit)

Yet I kept them in my game, cause it's my own & personal fun, that I try to destroy by using them :)
    The SCSII shit is hard enough, so it doesn't really matter if you have them or not; there are options to make those items obsolete by using the proper package anyway (Vecna being the only exception).
    E.g. Beholders can be pimped to ignore the cloak & shield with an added laz0r-beam-attack and just burn thru them and are given a new attack, that ignores those items completely and is based on spell-revisions' Disintegrate.

But speaking of OP items, if one mind checking the Imp. Anvil mod, the bonus merchant items are a joke compared to this. That is seriously nasty shit..I only checked the readme, but I think you could easily reach -16 or less AC by just using 2 improved items + they were given a shitload of immunities. Weapons with +6 are also quite common....

[have to admit am using Weimar's item upgrade..but it "feels" okay and for me its only for some items. It's up to personal preference I guess...and ~80% of those items become available right before entering Suldanessar anyway]
  • TsyrithTsyrith Member Posts: 180
    Reading this thread reminded me of something that annoyed me all the way back in SoA days.

It really peeved me that I relied on one or two items to contribute the majority of power to my arcane characteristics. Amulet of Power, Robe of Vecna and the like. I would happily suffer their nerf if lesser equivalents showed up for gloves, Ioun stones, staves, rods, boots and the like.

It annoyed me that everything fighters equipped contributed to something dying quicker or them surviving longer, but everything that mages equipped was for +1ac, Belts of Inertial Barrier, mostly defensive not because we wanted to survive the battles, but because we were idiots if we equipped the strength belts or the weapon specialization gloves.

I know that we're supposed to "gird ourselves with spells", but first time I played, after obtaining the Amulet of Power, I expected to find a pair of gloves to lower casting speed, even by 1, and only stopped looking after I scoured the item listing outside of the game. Screw that Conster Damon guy, I'm sick of wearing his sh-tuff.

More items like the staff of the magi, maybe a devil fighting staff with gaze reflection and mantle on cast, extra-dimensional girdles for pronto access to reagents, boots of dimension door, cloaks that protect against one spell interruption a turn, gloves that have a 5% chance to cleanse aura on spellcast, hell, just more choices, even in departments or slots that are already filled like robes and necks. Make us agonize over our gear selection.

Anyway, regarding bonus merchants, I would much prefer the items, even current one's to be out in the world, or require a difficult foe be defeated before you've access to the services, kind of like the alternate Adventurers Mart, except it's blockaded not by plot, but by an ability to defeat powerful opponents. Perhaps Deidre is tracking an incarnation of Ignus that managed to escape the Negative Plane, or maybe Joluv is concerned about signs that indicate a demon named Belhifet is on the prime, hunting down the descendants of those who banished him. Can anyone say "Crenshinibon adventure"?

Ah well, at least wishlists are cathartic.

I should mod stuff like this...
  • AlexDeLargeAlexDeLarge Member Posts: 273
    edited December 2012
    SCS II makes beholders able to steal your Balduran Shield, thus making it balanced. Vhailor's Helm's Simulacrums shouldn't be able to use any quickslot items. Robe of Vecna is quite OP, true, but you're gonna need every help you can get finishing a SCS no reload run!
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    Baldurans shield makes all beholder encounters boring which is why it deserves nerf. Robe of Vecna doesn't really break any encounter, you are still limited by 1 spell per round rule. Neither does Vhailors Helm. Having powerful items is part of what makes the game fun. Making everything average and boring isn't the solution.
  • DarkcloudDarkcloud Member Posts: 302
    Bercon said:

Baldurans shield makes all beholder encounters boring which is why it deserves nerf. Robe of Vecna doesn't really break any encounter, you are still limited by 1 spell per round rule. Neither does Vhailors Helm. Having powerful items is part of what makes the game fun. Making everything average and boring isn't the solution.

It does with improved alacrity. I think they forgot about the robe when they included that spell.

SCS II makes beholders able to steal your Balduran Shield, thus making it balanced. Vhailor's Helm's Simulacrums shouldn't be able to use any quickslot items. Robe of Vecna is quite OP, true, but you're gonna need every help you can get finishing a SCS no reload run!

No it doesn't make the shield balanced it makes it useless. The saving throw would be the best way to solve it and it would make sense because the shield only works if you actually block the attacks with the shield.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("wmart1")
    CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("wmart2")

If they dont come with BG2EE, thats how Im going to make them come.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Fun facts:

My sister's name is Deirdre. So when I saw Deidre I was like ":OOOO SO COOL hay sister check this out! YOU SELL EXPENSIVE AWESOME SHIT!"
    Also, my name is Riordan and I've been in Dragon Age.

It's really interesting, my sister and I having pretty rare names and then being in BioWare games ... And only BioWare games.

Although in the newfangled Sherlock Holmes movie (with Robert Downey Jr.) I was a certain ginger midget in the employ of the main villain.