Skip to content

Possible Belm bug

FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
Some time back in chapter 3, I found Belm. Since Jaheira has training in scimitars, I gave it to her. We are now in chapter 6 and she is 14th level warrior/14th druid. We have also picked up Water's Edge, a +3 scimitar. I had her equip this just for comparison, and I noted that her attacks per round went UP!. OK, she has 2 pips in scimitar skill; she gets 5/2 attacks with W.E., but only 2 with Belm. W.E. not only gave her a better THACO but more attacks. The supposedly faster weapon was slowing her down!

I then gave Belm to MyChar, a berserker kit. He's trained in 2H sword, halberd and katana; no pips in either scimitar or longsword. I compared his attacks/round with Belm vs Daystar. He got the basic 2/round with the longsword, and 3 with Belm; he did in fact get the extra speed bonus. The main difference between MC and Jaheira was that she had specialization training in scimitars, and he did not.

It looks as though Belm's extra attack due to weapon speed overrides and negates the extra attacks a warrior gets from weapon specialization; otherwise she should have gotten 7/2 attacks. If my berserker had put all those expertise pips into scimitars instead of TH swords, he would have 3 attacks with that type of weapon. Using Belm should then increase this to 4, but if my theory is correct, his attacks would actually be reduced to 2 when using it. I have no way of actually testing this, unfortunately, but from what I observed with Jaheira, it sure looks correct.

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Running any mods?
  • FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    edited May 2015
    No mods; pure valilla SoA:EE on hard difficulty level. I have no idea yet how to even install mods. I'm only now contemplating trying SCS, but it's not installed yet. Belm just slows her down all on its own.
    Ok and no Shadowkeeper/EEkeeper?
    You didn't by any chance use Fire Seeds at any point?
    Nevermind about that last question. The bug I was thinking of doesn't apply to Fire Seeds apparently.
    Anyways I'm not able to replicate the issue. Can you attach a save? (you'll need to put the folder for that particular save game into a rar or zip file )
    No keeper mods. Any save? And what is a rar file?
    edited May 2015
    I found where the save files are in documents but have no idea how to put one in a folder and attach it here.
    I tried just uploading the file itself and got a "not allowed" message.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited May 2015
    It almost sounds as if Belm give "set APR to 2" rather than the normal "+1 attack". Never heard of this before and it sounds very weird that it only happens for Jaheira and no other char.

Maybe nothing, but try to put WE scimi in the main hand and Belm in the offhand to see what APR Jaheira get. With Belm in offhand she should be at 9/2, I guess, but will she then instead end up with 3?
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    FrdNwsm said:

I found where the save files are in documents but have no idea how to put one in a folder and attach it here.

You'll need a zipping program such as 7zip or WinRar (both free options). Highlight the save folder and send to whatever zip program you have installed. The site will allow you to upload zip files.
    Skatan said:

It almost sounds as if Belm give "set APR to 2" rather than the normal "+1 attack". Never heard of this before and it sounds very weird that it only happens for Jaheira and no other char.

Maybe nothing, but try to put WE scimi in the main hand and Belm in the offhand to see what APR Jaheira get. With Belm in offhand she should be at 9/2, I guess, but will she then instead end up with 3?

Unfortunately, I can't fully check this out with other characters, since she is the only one I have that has any skill pips in scimitars, and it's this weapon specialization that seems to be being overridden.

Checking the APR with Belm in the offhand ... hmmm, an interesting suggestion. I'll try it when I get the chance.

decado said:

FrdNwsm said:

You'll need a zipping program such as 7zip or WinRar (both free options). Highlight the save folder and send to whatever zip program you have installed. The site will allow you to upload zip files.

I downloaded WINrar (I think) but have no real idea what to do with it.

edited May 2015
    1) Install Winrar
    2) In the documents/baldur's gate 2 enhanced edition/save folder right click -> new -> Winrar Zip Archive
    3) A file called something like "New Winrar Archive" should appear.
    4) Select your save game folder. In this case it would be a folder titled like "000000005-save game name" (the numbers can vary)
    5) After selecting the folder drag it into the newly created rar file (which normally as a default is called something like New Winrar Archive").
    6) Attach the rar file to a post and post it.
    Arg! Never mind; the bug has disappeared. I switched to dual weapons, as per Skatan's suggestion, and the APR was indeed 9\2. I swapped the weapons back and forth, and then checked the APR with both Belm and WE being single-wielded again. Now suddenly she has the correct APRs; 5/2 with WE and 7/2 with Belm. Whatever glitch was causing the problem seems to have auto-corrected with those maneuvers.

I am going to go back to an earlier saved position and see if the glitch has corrected there also.
    edited May 2015
    OK, I think I have the solution, if not the cause of the problem. She had not had Belm out of her hand ever since she got it way back in chapter 2! (Umm, except for a couple of deaths in chapter 3.) At that time as a warrior she only had 3/2 APR; Belm gave her 2 instead of 3/2, which was a bug right there. But her APR never changed despite her getting even more warrior levels. She apparently got stuck there until I got curious and swapped it out for WE. (I'll have to go way back and check on that).

OK, I went back to several different saved positions, and each time her APR with Belm was still 2, until I took it out of her hand and then put it back. This presumably "unstuck" her APR and updated it to the correct value.
    edited May 2015
    Did you use shapechange at any point with her? I'm just trying to think of what would cause it to become like that.
    Ah; actually the problem is resolved. Apologies, it was my error. :blush: