Skip to content

So I finished IWD:EE

I also finished the BG:EE saga. What should I do now? move on to IWD 2? I know Planescape:Torment would be the next logical step as I have never played it but I heard there's LOADS of reading involved and less action. What else is good?

Comments

• PaladinPaladin Member Posts: 335
    IWD2 is a logical next step. If you're up for something more modern, Neverwinter Nights is a blast. There used to be a thriving modding community (and there may well still be) so there is a lot of user generated bonus content. Dragon Age: Origins is a more modern take on the game play and is pretty fun. More recently, Pillars of Eternity and Divinity: Original Sin have both gotten positive acclaim and carry the legacy of the classics forward. So, I'd recommend any of those games. All fun. None can really compare to BG/IWD (except for PS:T which you mentioned) but they are still a great time.
  • PaladinPaladin Member Posts: 335
    Oh, if you like the games from the BG era, Temple of Elemental Evil is also worth a look.
  • BubblesBubbles Member Posts: 589
    Ah..ToEE .. I played that in the pen and paper days ^^
    Oh boy makes me wanna have mushrooms in my next meal :wink:
    But frankly.. in those AD&D days .. the idea of a module for characters lvl 4-10 that may end up fighting a demon lord ... is like "madness" !! That over-sized of a mushroom's great grandmama has 222HP O_O let alone her "family of fungi" that could easily dissolve a limb or 2 from your player character !! T_T
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    Yeah temple wasnt too bad, Everyone should play Planescape one time through - a little too much reading for my likes but is a great game in that essence and natural to do after finishing BG and IWD series
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Planescape is a classic. Personally I'm not a huge fan of the battle parts of the game, the lack of different items etc. I like some things though, like the tattoos. The main enjoyment comes from the insanely well-written story. To me, it's prolly among the top three most intriguing main stories of any game ever. It also has a couple of very interresting joinable NPC's (ever wondered about Dak'kon's zerth blade?), as well as, truly amazing other encounters. No EE-version though, but I think it can be modded to be higher resolution at least. I tried the original many years back, and it's very difficult to adapt to low resolutions nowadays on 27'' wide-screen monitors.

I agree on NVN. I played it alot back in the day and it is pretty good, well worth a playthrough. I prefer 2e more than 3e, but 3e has some merits. Especially skills which make eg rogue classes more interresting. Also, HotU is a great expansion. Undrentide, not so much, though it uncludes one of my fav NPC's throughout all time; the one and only Deekin! Never played any mods, but there should be a plethora to choose from.

Haven't played IWD2 myself, nor PoE or other newer games. Personally I think DA:O was a good attempt, but that it failed. The best parts of DA:O was everything outside of the fights, the interactions with the NPC's is the best ever, even though some of the NPC's are rather boring, many offer a deep backstory which you slowly uncover. The in-between battle sequences where you stroll around your camp and talk to your mates is the best parts of the game. The actual fighting was boring and repetative, and since I sincerely dislike "MMORPG-influenced" battles with "aggro", "DPS" etc, it didn't appeal to me personally. I might to you though.

The best 'modern' action-RPG is IMHO, the Witcher 2. The first one was good, but the second one is close to perfection. As close as it gets. It's been a long time since I awaited a sequel as much as I await W3. It will make me buy a new computer to be able to experience it in its full glory. The Witchers series is different from any IE game, but it's still an RPG and well worth a playthrough.

Have fun!
    I tried Planescape Torment once, towards the end of the game i knew not why it crashes whenever i wanna enter 1 particular door. So much so that i cant finish it and cant seemed to fix that problem (i was running it in windows xp media center edition). I felt so sad.

I never come around trying it again as the ghost of that crash haunts me till i dare not play through it for a good 80% of it then it crash on me as that game is pretty time consuming due to turn base fight i selected to recreate pen and paper days of D&D.
    Anyone remember Pool of Radiance? the Ruins of Myth Drannor?
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Never tried those, but I did play my fair share of Death knights of Krynn on my old Amiga, years and years ago :smiley: I was so young and didn't have a clue what the hell I was doing, hehe..
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited June 2015
    Iwd2 is actually a very good game. A lot of hack and slash but there are a lot of interesting and very cool rp aspects, and complex story-puzzle sections as well. It is the last ie game and the designers tried to stretch the good old infinity engine to its limits and beyond. Its HoF mode is far, far better than iwd1's, with unique items getting upgrades and high lvl spell casting is truly powerful.

Temple Of Elemental Evil: combat seems too slow, clunky and needleslly complex after playing bg, it is boring and has a lot of bugs as well. Loathed it and did not play too much.

Nwn:blech. Really a downgrade after bg. Everything looks/feels plastic and fake, battles are not fun, etc. Wasn't interested enough to play the expansions.

PST:tried to get into it three times but. The setting is too bizarre and morbid, and while I love morbd things I found the combat too repetitive and bland. The characters and dialogues are excellent, but I don't want to watch an interactive movie, I want to play a game.

On a different note. If you haven't played out Arcanum it is worth a try. It is a very big, very different game and has the most unique atmosphere you can find. It puts the R in Rpgs back and is a good game in my book. Despite many many bugs.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    I'd recommend Betrayal at Krondor. One of my favourite games from the era along with BG and Pools of Radiance.
  • Mikey205Mikey205 Member Posts: 307
    IWD2: If you like combat this game was a big step up in terms of complexity of encounters. The story is probably more in depth than IWD but certainly no Baldurs Gate.

Planescape Torment: Theres a lot of love for this one. Very good story a lot of reading. Combat is quite lackluster but is usually optional.

Dragon Age Origins: Probably the closest to Baldurs Gate 2. Excellent story, with ability to make lots of interesting choices that affect the ending. The original feels fairly old school and if you like playing a mage in bg2 then this will scratch a similar itch. The sequels are much more actioney so combat is different to infinity engine though they maintain the strong writing.

Neverwinter Night: Cant really state how much I disliked this game. For a start you only control one character so massive step away from tactical party based combat most of these games have. The original campaign is entirely hack and slash but its quite mindless without the party. The graphics are very old school 3d and have aged terribly compared to 2d or later 3d. I didn't enjoy the expansions but I think thats a combination of all of the above minus the story which just couldnt draw me in.

Neverwinter Nights 2: Much better than the original. Brings back party control. The story was back to being decent although with some issues due to being rushed same as many Obsidian games. Both expansions were good mask of the betrayer had great story. The game had a good modding scene I recommend dark waters. There was also a premium module released called mysteries of westgate that was great.

Pillars of Eternity: I havent played this a huge amount yet but its basically a return to the top down perspective from Baldurs Gate with modern game design. Id say it feels more like the original baldurs gate with a more directed story. It also feels bleaker than Baldurs Gate like it got an injection of Planescape Torment flavour. Definitely worth playing and supporting.

Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2: This is an obvious step away in terms of setting but both games have party based combat using d20 a modified version of 3rd edition dnd so fits here and have the character interaction and banter similar to baldurs gate.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Have to disagree on the idea that NWN2 OC has anything approaching a decent story. The NPC companions are the most annoying group of people ever assembled for a video game. NWN1 HotU is much better, and restores at least a little bit of party control.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I would move on to Icewind Dale 2.
    NWN 2 is definitely better than NWN OC especially if you want tactical party based combat as it even had an overhead view added in the first expansion. The other problem with HoTU was that you have to play Shadows of Undrentide which i found utterly boring or create a brand new character and then the first part was straight dungeon crawl with barely an intro which is not good structure/introduction imo. I found nwn2 was one of the only games in that era between KoTOR 2 and Dragon Age to have a decent narrative arc. There were definite problems with pacing and it feeling unfinished (the ending) but I was interested all throughout. Also there were romance mods for some of the characters so some definitely liked them (I liked Neeshka, Sand and the Dwarf). Mask of the Betrayer had a good dense story but combat was a complete mess spells stopped scaling but hit points, saving throws and weapons just became absurdly strong with crazy crafted weapon modifiers.
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    edited June 2015
    Planescape is by far the greatest RPG I've ever played, but, if the idea of 'reading' puts you off, you'll hate it. IWD2 is a good move up.

EDIT: Basically, I'm seconding everything @Mikey205 said, except a little less harsh on NWN 'cause I've never played it.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    The thing with the NWN2 OC is you can't dump the NPCs, so you are stuck with them, like them or not. And really, they are very hard to like. And what is the point of playing 3rd edition if you can't multiclass the hell out of everyone?! Added to that, you have a plot like a bad M. Night Shyamalan movie, entirely dependant on a big twist that the writer obviously expected to be a big surprise, but was obvious from the beginning. In that it is even worse than ToB, and the whole thing feels obviously railroaded.

You don't need to play SoU before HotU, but really, there is no reason not to, it is a perfectly inoffensive, short, forgettable adventure.
    Ye NWN2 doesnt win any awards for story but its enjoyable enough and I found the shards intriguing. In terms of structure its similar to BG in that it gives you a fixed grounded beginning with a mystery about your past as opposed to being a random mercenary in a story that revolves around other people.

I would say that if you're looking for a mostly story driven RPG with good combat and a DnD ruleset NWN2 would be my go to as opposed to the original. It feels a lot closer to BG in terms of party-based combat than NWN. Maybe I'm forgiving because it was released in a relative RPG drought 3 years after KoTOR 2 and 3 years before Dragon Age with the only thing memorable in that period being The Witcher and Mass Effect which were both quite different. However I would say Dragon Age: Origins blew it away in terms of story and characters whilst looking a lot better.

Anyway I think everyone's given the OP a good range of choices for what to try next. My recommendation would be Planescape Torment then Dragon Age or Pillars of Eternity.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    The first nwn you'll probably find pretty weak, it's more designed for soloing. Sure you can pick up henchmen, but you can never directly control them. The Hordes of the Underdark compaign is still probably my favorite high level d&d game, though.

I actually do love nwn2. Even though you have npcs forced into your group, except for a handful of specific missions, you're not required to keep them in your party. In the early game you are stuck with the companions they give in your party, but that changes mid-way through the first chapter. You also do get the opportunity to kill some of them. Just like BG1/2, there's a lot of funny banter when you mix up NPCs that don't really like each other. Ever try putting Minsc and Shar-Teel in the same party? How about Edwin, Minsc and Anomen? Just as humourous to stick Bishop, Grobnar and Kelgar in the same party in NWN2. There's also some excellent modules people have made, like Dark Waters and Path of Evil. Path of Evil is a campaign for an evil PC that is definitely a love letter to BG1. Those brilliantly created addons are what make me excited for the possibilities sword coast legends could be.

DA: Origins is the only one out of the series I thought was really good, and about the only game I really felt they got magic right in. I still remember the first time I got hit with a fireball, and my party was knocked down on the ground and on fire. Too bad the rest of the series has been about nerfing magic and moving to a more "actiony" combat that's utterly boring. They're still worth a playthrough, but just don't compare to the original, or the older bioware games.

Pillars of Eternity had me so excited, but I was seriously let down. There's a really limited amount of npcs you can pickup, with no evil options at all. The lack of evil doesn't really matter, since none of them really react in any way to you slaughtering innocents, though. Even BG1 had a rep system, where NPCs would leave if you did too much stuff they didn't like. I also just had trouble being remotely interested in what they had going on. Obsidian makes the claim there's no bad builds in PoE, which is completely untrue. No matter what class, if you don't max your might stat, it's a bad build. Did you pick light weapons? Unless you're a backstabbing rogue with maxed might, you're screwed and useless in a fight. The fact that might affects the damage of everything, meaning magic, healing, physical blows, means seriously limited number of build possiblities. The way the damage reduction system with armor is implemented, only big 2 handed weapons do any real damage against a huge amount of enemies. It's kind of sad, because when I started, at first I said "It's like an infinity game, but they fixed the most annoying things." I saw how you moved the party in formation, the stash for inventory management and the fast mode for slogging across the map, plust the lovingly made maps, and got all excited. Unfortunately it's just a big dissapointment of useless strongholds, boring and flat NPCs, and seriously limited builds for characters. Still worth a playthrough, but I'd rather play baldurs gate yet again, than go through Pillars again.

I started out loving Divinity:OS. I appreciated the old school, difficult turn based combat. Problem is they eventually make the mistake of thinking tediousness=difficulty. After a particularly long boss fight, that was already making me notice the tediousness, I went into another. After 30 minutes of chasing the boss all over the map, I say to myself "I'm not having fun anymore." An hour into the fight, the boss has a sliver of health left, and he runs away! I track him down at his original location, back at full health. I think this is the only game I ever rage quit as an adult.

Wasteland 2 is the game that really surprised me. It's slow to get into, but once you get sucked in, you'll be hooked. Most of the NPCs were fleshed out and ineresting, and had reasons for joining up with you. Plus one of them's a shotgun weilding hobo named Scotchmo. Normally I don't develop attachments to my characters in a game where I make a whole party, but because it's so squad oriented, and each of them filled their niche, and got their chance to save the party, they earned a special place in my heart. I'll always remember Boris the Russian sniper popping heads, and Marie C the medic and scientist patching people up and taking control of robots. I am itching for another playthrough, but holding off for the director's cut, which will be a free upgrade ;)

Sorry for the wall of text, but a couple of these games have left things brewing for a little bit, and I needed to go on a rant.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I really liked Divinity OS. Definitely recommended.