Skip to content

Fallout [NO SPOILERS, PLEASE]

proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
So, I've tried playing Fallout 1 a couple of times in the past and something about it never really clicked with me. I just could not get into it. Everyone keeps saying it's one of the best, so I decided to give it another go. Man, I don't know what I was doing before, but this game is fantastic! I am not too far into it so far, but I am having a blast with it this time around. I think the reason I didn't get into it on previous tries was because I somehow missed the opportunity to gain a companion very early in the game, and I kept getting killed over and over by giant mutant scorpions. Having a helping hand on my early adventures into the post nuclear wasteland has made all the difference!

The writing in the game is really fantastic and super funny. Just for kicks, I tried kicking a rat in the groin (the fact you can do that is reason to play!) and it gave me a hilarious little text about the look the rat was giving me.

What is everyone's opinions on these games? I have Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics. Are the 3D games worthwhile? I'm NOT a fan of FPS's so I don't know if they'll be my cup of tea, but who knows?

Comments

• proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    Ha! Yeah, I cranked up the frame rate and have the always run option ticked, so the play speed is bearable :smiley:
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I didn't like the gameplay of Fallout 3/NV overmuch. It's a strange mix of FPS/turn based, and the FPS part is clunky and the turn based part is unsatisfying. Exploring the world is fun though.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I was into two first Fallout games pretty late in my life, when everything about these games was dated. And you know what? I didn't give a damn, the games was THAT good.

About Fallout 3, it butchers the lore and mood of the franchise, it's basically Skyrim with guns. And I dislike Skyrim for having nothing to offer besides open world (and it doesn't even give you motivation to explore it). I might give Fallout: NV try, thought, just because Obsidian wrote it. Fallout 4, I expect, will be another Skyrim with guns, since Bethesda doesn't know what Fallout is about and their games are highy unejoyable to me.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    It took me a while to get Fallout 3 because I really disliked FPS but once I did I found the game to be enjoyable and replayable. I disagree with the assessment that 3 veered away from the continuity of that world but I do have to admit that I don't think the Capital Wasteland would have been as intact as it was. New Vegas is clearly better, though, and definitely as good as Fallout 2. Some of the NPCs, whether companions or not, have incredibly rich backstories.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Fallout 1 and 2 are downright classics, I love both of them dearly (though for different reasons).
    Fallout: Tactics is another beast, it's a tactical X-com like game where you have a squad of Brotherhood of Steel commando's and you need to defend the lands. It's very fun, but people were initially pissed off because they thought it was Fallout 3.

I prefer it over actual Fallout 3. It's a cool game by itself, but as a Fallout game, it just fails. It took DLC to make the ending not pants-on-head retarded.
    I muchly Fallout: New Vegas. It has way more of the Fallout feel than FO3, despite being plagued by massive bugs on release (mostly fixed now. However, it also has Cazadors. Damn those things...

With Fallout 4 announced...I guess I'll have to start playing all of them again.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    edited June 2015
    Fallout 1 is among my favorite games without a doubt. I believe Fallout 2 is even better but I haven't played it yet myself. I also haven't played the 3D games so I don't really have an opinion on them. I did watch my friend play Fallout 3 back when it was published and it did look very fascinating (I was a "bit" drunk so my judgement may not have been at it's sharpest ;))

I have owned Fallout 3 (PS3) for over two years but I have yet to try it myself. Go figure.
    I'm thinking if I get around to playing the 3D games, I'll play them on the PS3 rather than on PC, unless the PC versions are vastly superior. I couldn't get too into the PS3 version of Dragon Age due to the controls sucking eggs (I just can't get the hang of the wheel menu thingies) but I really love the PC version of it.
  • ThatTwitchyGuyThatTwitchyGuy Member Posts: 23
    Get them on the PC, one simple addition makes them superior to the console version in countless ways and that's the G.E.C.K. and the tens of thousands of mods that have been created with it and are downloadable over on the Fallout Nexus.
    And oddly enough, Steam has both Fallout 3 and New Vegas on sale for $5 each. Talk about timing!
  • ThatTwitchyGuyThatTwitchyGuy Member Posts: 23
    Grab the game of the year and ultimate editions, they've got all the DLC's installed with them and are completely worth it.
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    1:Combat is both hard and fun. Freedom of choice what to do is good.
    2:Perks,items,worlds,and random encounters are interesting. Story continued from 1. Can not help thinking 2 is nothing but a good expansion pack of 1. It made me save and reload A LOT.
    3:Everything is good except nutshot is removed.
    NV:If you played 1,2 then you can recognize many thing. Well, at least I did.
    I watched a bit of gameplay of Fallout 3 on YouTube, and I don't think it's for me. I have never been able to get into the FPS games at all. Maybe I'll reconsider after playing 1 and 2...

My vault dweller has made it to the Hub. My only real gripe with the game is the quest tracker is pretty minimal, and I'm not a good not taker. I helped out Killian and he told me to go talk to someone whose name I immediately forgot and I had to go around talking to everyone in Junktown to figure it out. Other than that I'm still really enjoying it and taking my time. And I got a dog companion, so that's cool!
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    procco said:

I watched a bit of gameplay of Fallout 3 on YouTube, and I don't think it's for me. I have never been able to get into the FPS games at all. Maybe I'll reconsider after playing 1 and 2...

My vault dweller has made it to the Hub. My only real gripe with the game is the quest tracker is pretty minimal, and I'm not a good not taker. I helped out Killian and he told me to go talk to someone whose name I immediately forgot and I had to go around talking to everyone in Junktown to figure it out. Other than that I'm still really enjoying it and taking my time. And I got a dog companion, so that's cool!

There's a dog companion in each game so if that's your selling point then it's a good buy :)
    I've been playing Fallout 1 all evening. Got the water chip and saved my vault! I didn't spend too much time talking to every single character I came across because Iof the time restraints...and wound up with about 120 days to spare.
    I am loving this game so far. There are so many little details that make it a real treat.
    I especially liked Necropolis, even if it was the area I spent the least amount of time exploring in depth. The ghouls in the sewers are hilarious. They're basically pacifist undead who are scared of the other "monsters" in the sewers. The other monsters are a few rats and a couple of molerats. And they are very polite and appreciative when you help them fix the water pump. The ogre looking things guarding the pump are pretty funny too. I managed to talk my way past them by convincing them I was a robot!
    ?