Skip to content

Questions I'd Like Answered

shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
edited September 2012 in Site Resources
So now that I've processed the comments from the AMA and read the list of fixed bugs, I find I still have a few questions that I'd like answered...

First, the Beamdog team has stated that BG1 Tweaks and Fixpack mods are no longer needed because the bugs they were designed to address have already been resolved. But the Tweaks pack includes components which aren't, strictly speaking, bug-related - for example, forcing the game to pause during any dialogue. This is absolutely essential to me, because I often have to skip through dialogue to keep my party alive during a battle. Has this been implemented?

Second, Nathan Willis confirmed that the only plot-related mod I use in BG1 - "Unfinished Business" - hasn't been integrated into the game because it falls under the "original content" clause. But some of the components of that mod, such as Kagain's broken quest and the second level of Ice Island, are the result of script errors or damaged files - have these, at least, been repaired? If so, have any other aspects of UB been included?

Finally, there's been some discussion of post-release patches implementing additional changes - would these changes be mechanical (ie: relating to gameplay) or story-related?

I have every intention of supporting this project because I believe in what it represents and I have great faith in the people behind it... but there are still things I'd like to know before taking the plunge.
Post edited by Coriander on

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    I agree that things like this would be nice to know, auto-pausing during conversation in particular should really have been an elective feature form the start. Although, given the relative ease of updating user-made content for EE, it seems likely that most of the fairly popular mods will be compatible soon after launch. The tweak pack is already ready, for instance.
  • DemossDemoss Member Posts: 52
    Are BG1 mods really that compatible with BG2? Pretty sure BGT made you install all BG1 stuff before it imported it into the BG2 and BG:EE will be BG2 from the get go. I'm no modder though...

I would also like to know if the fixes at least from UB are put in as that's just correcting errors not restoring cut content.
    Original BG1 mods are not compatible with BG2, no, but when you use Tutu or BGT (or play BG:EE) BG1 is updated to the BG2 engine, for which most/all mods are now made.
    Thus my point, Unfinished Buisness for BG1 is an BG1 mod.
    I believe it was originally, but it got updated for Tutu and BGT.
    Haha, yes your right, after looking into it it did get updated for Tutu and BGT a few revisions ago. :p
  • GriegGrieg Member Posts: 507
    edited September 2012
    ups my mistake
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Isn't the base engine of BG II being used now? I believe the old problems aren't a issue anymore, BG II problems are a issue now.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Stuff that are tweaks and not bugs will still rely on the Tweakpack.

As for Kagain, wasn't stuff actually created by Unfinished Business so that his quest could be completed?
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Unfinshed business isn't incomplete codes on the original game for projects that were abandoned?
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Not entirely. There was material created to complete some of the quests, including an entire area if I remember it right. I'm away from my computer now or I would check the Readme file. I'm quite sure it's informed in there.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    It's still far to early to be worried about BG:EE mods, for two reasons.

1: Many fixes have been implemented that the community just doesn't know about, so what is remaining to be fixed/modded will have to wait until after release. Since existing mods may not be compatible, worrying about what to install 2 months from now is mute.

2: BG:EE is going to likely become the new de facto BG version to mod. Many new mods and updated old mods will be created specifically for BG:EE. So again, worrying about what to install is pointless as it will absolutely not be the same as vanilla BG2.