Skip to content

Drizzt move speed

EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
edited November 2012 in Original BG1 Bugs
I am not sure if is it bug, but Drizzt was always in state permanent haste state in BG.

That is understandable because " true Drizzt " wear " Bracers of the Blinding Strike " ( on his legs... ), but Drizzt in game does´t have anything like that. There is not any explanation his speed then.

Drizzt should have that bracers or at least Boots of speed.
Post edited by Balquo on

Comments

• Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    I thought he wears Boots of Speed in the game.
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    edited September 2012
    Nope :-(
    He have only armor and two scimitars.
    ( Also, where is his Guenhwyvard statuette ? )
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    edited September 2012
    [...]
    Post edited by Humanoid_Taifun on
    Speaking of Drizzt's items, why don't his scimitars look like scimitars?
    And why is his scimitar +5 actually scimitar +3 ?
    ( I was never understand this )
    edited September 2012
    He doesn't drop them when he dies, but he is wearing Boots of Speed. If you use cheats to go into his inventory screen he has them equipped, I just checked.
    edited September 2012
    Awong124 said:

He doesn't drop them when he dies, but he is wearing Boots of Speed. If you use cheats to go into his inventory screen he has them equipped.

So is it bug....
    He should drop them.

• lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    Huh no, it's a custom undroppable item to mimick many effects, like all the creatures immunities are made from undroppable items, do you want these to drop as well?
    This is something different.
    His unnatural speed is item effect ( " Bracers of the Blinding Strike " ) Boots of speed, not his race or character ability.
    Then it's a bug of that particular item not dropping, not a bug concerning his movement speed.
    edited September 2012
    Well you can rationalize it as a balance decision, you already get some nice loot from him and boots of speed are available elsewhere.

I believe they are also intended to be slower than the boots you can equip, otherwise they would have equipped the regular boots on drizzt and made the slot undroppable instead of equipping him with custom undroppable version
    Edvin said:

And why is his scimitar +5 actually scimitar +3 ?
    ( I was never understand this )

To my knowledge, he is normally able to choose how much of the +5 goes into offense, and how much goes into defense. In Baldur's Gate, it's fixed to +3/+2.
    edited September 2012
    [...]
    Post edited by Humanoid_Taifun on
    edited September 2012

To my knowledge, he is normally able to choose how much of the +5 goes into offense, and how much goes into defense. In Baldur's Gate, it's fixed to +3/+2.

This sound stupid to me...
    Scimitar Yamato+4 gives also +1AC so it is Scimitar +5 ? Bullshit...
    Nearly all weapons +3 have some special power and power Drizzts scimitar Defender is +2AC.

btw: His second scimitar +3 Frostbrand have also special power but missing description.
    Frostbrand gives +50 % fire resistance ( i was notice this by accident when i was looking on my character resistance list )
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited September 2012
    So I read Boots of Speed are only supposed to give movement speed increase and not haste, but that these boots round you up from .5 atk to next whole number. It was fixed in Baldurdash, has this been addressed in BG:EE?
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited September 2012
    @Bhryaen

*wink*

I've read Boots of Speed are getting the Haste icon, but has the 'attacks per round, round up' bug been addressed?
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    @bigdogchris
    Apparently the BG1 Boots of Speed use the opcode for Movement Speed Bonus while the BG2 version uses Haste (which also gives Haste benefits). BGEE is using the BG2 engine and usually version of items... but... hasn't had any official selection of which version yet... Issues involve consistency and whether Haste makes it overpowered. I'd make it the Movement Speed Only type if I could since Haste does increase APR, I believe, though I don't know about the "round up" bug.
    The haste effect opcode has a parameter to only give movement rate bonus.
  • BubbleboyBubbleboy Member Posts: 68
    The boots in bg2, aside from giving you the movement speed bonus, also increase the movement speed of your animation and actually causing it to increase the number of swings the animation performs
    HOWEVER it does not actually increase the number of your attacks, which result in you seeing a lot of swing animations made by your character that don't actually cause any hit rolls.

Only after you reach about 5 APR (max i think) through levels and weapon specialization will your attacks again be synchronized with the attack animations.
    A very annoying thing in my opinion.
  • Thief_Of_NavarreThief_Of_Navarre Member Posts: 26
    edited September 2012
    lansounet said:

Huh no, it's a custom undroppable item to mimick many effects, like all the creatures immunities are made from undroppable items, do you want these to drop as well?

Yes, I'd quite like all the immunities a jelly has please. Immune to normal weapons, piercing, slashing, electricity and mind affecting spells.

How hard can be create boots with bracers icon and same effect like boots of speed ?
    So what you want is more OP loot from Drizzt?
    edited September 2012
    lansounet said:

So what you want is more OP loot from Drizzt?

Read some books about Drizzt...

His gear:

Figurine of wondrous power
    Bracers of the Blinding Strike
    Drizzt's mithral chainmail
    Mooshie's Longbow
    Icingdeath
    Twinkle
    ( plus some throwing daggers )

If he using it, he have it !
    So set his move speed to normal or give Drizzt " Bracers of the Blinding Strike ".

I never really cared about Drizzt and I despise all the fan-made mods about him.

The devs could have made the items and made them undroppable anyway, considering the swords and chainmail are already too powerful for BG1.

Drizzt is also too powerful for BG1.
    ( It will be much harder kill him in BG:EE without using bugs and cheats )

btw: Devs are´t gods, they do´t know everything...
    That´s why we have bug report and feature requests.
    By devs I mean the original Bioware ones, who studied the character background enough to include him in the game with some of his signature items.

Maybe he didn't yet have some of the items you listed in the Bhaalspawn saga timeline?
    lansounet said:

Maybe he didn't yet have some of the items you listed in the Bhaalspawn saga timeline?

Good, finaly reasonable argument.
    ( But wrong )

The Iron Crisis was an event occurring in 1368 DR in which the Iron Throne plotted to destroy the iron supply of the Sword Coast by poisoning the iron from the mines of Nashkel with alchemy.

Drizzt wore the bracers on his hands during 1358 DR, then he start wearing them on legs.

In 1368 DR Drizzt have all items what i was wrote.
    Well I'm not trying to give any argument either way why he is missing some of his signature items. The only rationale I can find is that they considered the swords and chainmail enough of a reward for killing Drizzt.

I doubt the Overhaul crew is going to change any of it so your best bet is to make a mod of it if you really want them. Items are easy to make, and so is adding/removing them on an existing creature.
    There are already Bracers of Blinding Strike in BG2 but they're just improved haste once per day :/
    The figurine is the thing that summons his panther, Gwesomething? I think some mod adds this already. (Too) Many mods about Drizzt already, though most are unlikely to make it to BG:EE
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    edited September 2012
    Edvin said:

lansounet said:

Good, finaly reasonable argument.
    ( But wrong )

The Iron Crisis was an event occurring in 1368 DR in which the Iron Throne plotted to destroy the iron supply of the Sword Coast by poisoning the iron from the mines of Nashkel with alchemy.

Drizzt wore the bracers on his hands during 1358 DR, then he start wearing them on legs.

In 1368 DR Drizzt have all items what i was wrote.
    R.A. Salvatore would be proud of you! xD
  • ThaudalThaudal Member Posts: 37
    Well, if Drizzt should have all the items he should have according to Salvatore's lore, then Elminster should follow. I killed him once (I believe it was a Hold Person or similar that got him, then I could attack all I wanted) and he only had a regular quarterstaff. He should at least have a staff of the archmagi. :D