Skip to content

Baldur's Gate 3 in the Forgotten Realms Timeline?

2»

Comments

• TalvraeTalvrae Member Posts: 315
    @Lemernis
    gag... I hate the post 3rd edition FR... They killed the variety of the setting
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited September 2012
    @Talvrae

Totally agree. In my opinion the 4th edition FRCS essentially gutted the setting.

But Ed Greenwood's new book release for FR makes me very hopeful for the future. Ed has always said that he feels the setting should be customizable by the DM to begin with. I don't think he wants DMs tied down to a particular version. And supposedly Edition Next also allows for a very high degree of customization of the ruleset.

What I'm hoping is that if BG3
    • is either set in a pre-Spellplague FR or post-Spellplague FR
    • uses the AD&D 2nd ed. ruleset that seems to have struck the mark so perfectly in the BG series
    then that will not be in conflict with the current products that WotC has on the shelves.

FYI, here's a couple of reference links that I found useful as I'm trying to get up to speed on all this:

What’s Coming Next for Dungeons & Dragons and Forgotten Realms
    Ed Greenwood Presents Elminster's Forgotten Realms
  • TalvraeTalvrae Member Posts: 315
    @Lemarnis
    I again doubt they will bring back 2nd edition... And personally hope they wont (It's way too restrective in my opinion, (no elf bard really?) and lack customisations, but that's my opinion. And hope yeath they fix the FR... Trought i can,t see how the Lady Penitent Trilogy demage can be fixed, by making the Drow a monolistic evil race who all eighter worship Lolth or Gaunahdor (and why the hell of all the Drow god they choose to keep Gaunadhor? he suck)
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited September 2012
    @Talvrae

If a very high degree of customization of D&D rules is supported in Edition Next, then some of the things that need improvement in the BG series implementation of D&D rules can hopefully be done. By all means, take what's great about the BG series ruleset and fix what could be done better.

This bit in the Amazon description of Ed Greenwood's new book on the FR setting is interesting to me:

"The book is aimed at all Forgotten Realms enthusiasts, including players of every edition of the DUNGEONS & DRAGONS game."

As we know, the 4th edition FRCS wreaks havoc on the setting. It changes the world enormously. So I'm very curious to see what the basic philosophy is for use of the Forgotten Realms setting as Ed Greenwood envisions it.