Skip to content

Just started a new game

OnestepOnestep Member Posts: 225
Got out my old 4 in 1 boxset, installed it and Tutu'd BG for that classic experience. Started a Human Male Abjurer, got a good stat roll (after some time), breezed through Candlekeep, stepped out into the big, wide world, got instagibbed by a Diseased Gibberling in my very first fight outside Candlekeep.

Yep. It's Baldur's Gate alright. Anybody else ever had such a fun start to their adventure?
Post edited by Onestep on

Comments

• BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    I recently had a Halfling Bounty Huntress survive this
    and this
    As a no-reloader I wonder: has she has used up all her luck in Candlekeep or is she the one? She in Beregost at the moment waiting for me to decide whether I want her to go solo or form an adventuring band.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Trouble with Diseased Gibberlings in BG1? Go get the Ring of Gaxx, and you'll be immune to disease! Problem solved.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    First time of playing bg1 ever, in the vanilla old school bg1, mind you, everything is cool and wonderful, I have Imoen and Xzar&Monty and I try to travel to FAI. We even managed to take down the diseased gibberling!
    Only to be butchered mercilessly by a random ambush of twenty or so bandit archers surrounding us. I was a conjurer with a measly 6 hp. Yup. Like sheep to slaughter.
    BG1 loves dem 'welcome to our world' pranks, sure enough.
  • OnestepOnestep Member Posts: 225
    lunar said:

First time of playing bg1 ever, in the vanilla old school bg1, mind you, everything is cool and wonderful, I have Imoen and Xzar&Monty and I try to travel to FAI. We even managed to take down the diseased gibberling!
    Only to be butchered mercilessly by a random ambush of twenty or so bandit archers surrounding us. I was a conjurer with a measly 6 hp. Yup. Like sheep to slaughter.
    BG1 loves dem 'welcome to our world' pranks, sure enough.

Doesn't it just. There's a few traps I've never fallen for, due to being pre-warned (and paranoid), but being killed by low level mobs is always fun. Dire Wolves, Ghasts, Diseased Gibberlings, Kobold Commandos and Bandits... Plenty of early **** You creatures with no real counters other than luck.
  • doggydoggy Member Posts: 313
    At least you both made it out of candlekeep. Still remembers how my powerword reload mage (new nothing about d&d but hey everybody knows mages are both cool and awesome) got shanked so hard over and over again until I rerolled a fighter...

Those where good times. Ah to be young again and start the first ever game of BG.
  • OnestepOnestep Member Posts: 225
    doggy said:

At least you both made it out of candlekeep. Still remembers how my powerword reload mage (new nothing about d&d but hey everybody knows mages are both cool and awesome) got shanked so hard over and over again until I rerolled a fighter...

Those where good times. Ah to be young again and start the first ever game of BG.

This ain't my first playthrough though. Still, getting an early reminder via gibberling murder not to be overconfident is good.
  • Mikey205Mikey205 Member Posts: 307
    I swear that vanilla BG had a lot of those massive bandit ambushes during transitions. I think Tutu and EE removed them until higher levels or tougher areas.
  • gnaumiecgnaumiec Member Posts: 62
    Those ambushes are definitely still there. I got ambushed by bandits heading to the FAI with my new level 1 charname and Imeon... Suffice I to say, that no reload run ended 10 minutes into my adventure.
  • Mikey205Mikey205 Member Posts: 307
    That makes me kind of happy. They seem a lot less common though. I used to dread area transitions.