Skip to content

Suggestions for a mostly-warrior party.

I've been playing the Baldur's Gate Saga since i can remember, played it so much back when it released that i melted my original discs in my computer, bought another set and played them to nearly the same state. Recently got the EEs, forgot what weapons go where (i can remember most of the locations, just can't remember what the "meta" was). Just hoping some fellow nerd could help me along.

My party is as follows:
Gnome Berserker, to be dual'd to mage at 13.
Cavalier, gonna use Carsomyr.
Elf Archer, Tuigan's/Gesen's
Half Orc Swashbuckler,
Haven't thought out the 5th (not going to use 6man party). Probably another Berserker dual'd into Cleric at 13

Thanks in advance

Agriel

(P.S This is my first post on Beamdog, this place has the weirdest category sorting, so if it's the wrong place, my bad)

Comments

• OnestepOnestep Member Posts: 225
    Unless you're modding, I don't think non-humans can dual-class? That said, if you are modding, then a Berserker/Mage will always be incredibly powerful. A 13 level berserker won't regain his warrior levels until near the end of SoA though, so keep that in mind.

From the sound of it, you're planning on using a bunch of custom characters? In that case, consider an Inquisitor instead of a Cavalier. Dispel Magic at x2 Class level never stops being incredibly useful. Without any kind of mage (and from the sound of things you'll be mageless until the Underdark at least) it's the best way of dealing with mages.

Apart from that, everything sounds OK.
  • AgrielAdareiAgrielAdarei Member Posts: 11
    edited June 2015
    Onestep said:

Unless you're modding, I don't think non-humans can dual-class?

Yeah i forgot to mention that >_<
    Non-human Dual class, XP Cap remover, and Bonus merchants are the only mods i'm using.
    Still need help on the weapons though, probably use CF/Belm on either the Swashy or Bermage, then Crom/FoA on Bercleric, still short on possibilities though.
    the reason i use Cavalier over Inquisitor is because Cavalier was my favorite archetype in the old days. Picked him because hunting dragons n demons seemed so awesome (little did i know the dragon fights in ToB would be monstrous). + Carsomyr made up for the lack of anti-magic potential.

EDIT: i'm also using a smaller party to try and counteract the high dual-class level (first time i've tried dual classing. The dozens of playthroughs prior have been purist or multiclass).
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    edited June 2015

Just hoping some fellow nerd could help me along.

Er ... I'm not sure what you're actually asking us, @AgrielAdarei. With what do you want help?

If you're taking that custom party through BG1ee first, then you'll be playing for a very long time with neither a Mage nor a Cleric. It can be done, but you're making it pretty difficult for yourself.

Even if you're starting it in BG2ee, then it'll still be quite a while before you have any Mage or Cleric. Your choice, of course, but I wouldn't recommend it.

And as @Onestep pointed out, you can't legally dual a gnome. You'd have to mod it to force the dual. [Edit: I see that while I was writing this, you've now posted again and are clearly aware of this point.]
    I pointed out the mod thing in my previous comment, is that illegal in these forums? In either case i'm playing through BG1 with a friend who has never even seen BG. BG2 was always my favourite so i'll have my personal playthrough on it. As i've stated i'm just wondering what would be the best weapon combinations for my party.
  • OnestepOnestep Member Posts: 225

I pointed out the mod thing in my previous comment, is that illegal in these forums? In either case i'm playing through BG1 with a friend who has never even seen BG. BG2 was always my favourite so i'll have my personal playthrough on it. As i've stated i'm just wondering what would be the best weapon combinations for my party.

He probably just started writing the comment before you'd posted yours.

As for your weapons, CF and Belm sounds fine for SoA, though you might want to consider a +5 Mainhand weapon for ToB. Crom and FoA are great and will work throughout the whole trilogy.

But I really have to recommend the Inquisitor over the Cavalier. It will be a huge help until you regain your Mage levels, which won't happen for some time. The Inquisitors class ability basically means that you're doubling your Dispel power. You've already got a very melee heavy group, so having a character that makes enemies consistently vulnerable to the whole group is great.
    Onestep said:

But I really have to recommend the Inquisitor over the Cavalier. It will be a huge help until you regain your Mage levels, which won't happen for some time. The Inquisitors class ability basically means that you're doubling your Dispel power. You've already got a very melee heavy group, so having a character that makes enemies consistently vulnerable to the whole group is great.

Eh, good enough point, I'll just make the Archer's racial Dragon to compensate for my desire for chivalry!
    Onestep said:

As for your weapons, CF and Belm sounds fine for SoA, though you might want to consider a +5 Mainhand weapon for ToB. Crom and FoA are great and will work throughout the whole trilogy.

I was thinking the same, but I have most of it planned out
    Bermage: Stonefire/Axe of Hrothgar & Belm >ToB> Axe of the Unyielding & Belm
    Inquisitor: Carsy
    Bercleric: Ashideena & Defender Of Easthaven >mid SoA> FoA & HoT >ToB> FoA+5 & Crom
    I'm having the most trouble planning out the early/mid SoA for the Swashy, ToB i'll just use Angurvadal/Equalizer/Blackrazor & Scarlet Ninja-to.
  • FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452
    edited June 2015
    I would suggest Shadowdancer over Swashbucler, equiped with Belm or celestial fury and single-weapon style (doubles chances of critical hit).

Best to give belm to your thief, since they really need the extra attack more than your berzerker. Blade of Roses is a good very early +3 weapon until you get something more useful.

For berzerker, the flail of ages is a good choice; you can get it pretty early in your stronghold quest. You also have a good axe +3 in that castle so axe are another good choice. Some of the best later weapons are the flail of ages and axe of unyielding.

Upgraded mace of disruption, I think is an essential situational weapon, so I suggest to have someone that has specialization in maces. If you don't have a cleric to cast chaotic command, the berzerker would be the best choice.

For Paladin's my preference is Undead Hunter. There are way more undead in the game compared to dragons and immunity to level drain is really useful. I think inquisitors cannot turn undead, so they are not a good choice if you don't have a cleric.

You could make a monk for the last guy. I don't like them, but it's a different kind of warrior.
    Post edited by Francois on
    Francois said:

I would suggest Shadowdancer over Swashbucler, equiped with Belm or celestial fury and single-weapon style (doubles chances of critical hit).

Best to give belm to your thief, since they really need the extra attack more than your berzerker. Blade of Roses is a good very early +3 weapon until you get something more useful.

For berzerker, the flail of ages is a good choice; you can get it pretty early in your stronghold quest. You also have a good axe +3 in that castle so axe are another good choice. Some of the best later weapons are the flail of ages and axe of unyielding.

Upgraded mace of disruption, I think is an essential situational weapon, so I suggest to have someone that has specialization in maces. If you don't have a cleric to cast chaotic command, the berzerker would be the best choice.

For Paladin's my preference is Undead Hunter. There are way more undead in the game compared to dragons and immunity to level drain is really useful. I think inquisitors cannot turn undead, so they are not a good choice if you don't have a cleric.

You could make a monk for the last guy. I don't like them, but it's a different kind of warrior.

I was planning on dual classing another zerker into a cleric at lvl 9, so early undead won't be an issue. But since clerics can't use a wide variety of weapons I was gonna give it Crom and FoA, the CF Shadowdancer is actually a great idea, but since I will have a cleric I'll stick with Inquisitor due to massive dispelling ability. My plan is to do a few quests then hit up Firkraag for that sweet loot then just snowball through most of SoA
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited June 2015
    You'll probably do just fine with that party on regular rules. There's plenty of pots and your thief can steal a buttload of them early on from the merchants in Athkatla for BG2.

My recommendation, for a slightly easier power-curve (less downtime etc) would be to add a F/C or F(<9, maybe 7)-C for the fifth slot (and maybe dual the swashy to mage for late game power), It would probably make it easier midgame and still not hamper your endgame power. I prefer more arcane most of the time myself but since you stated you want the party to be warrior heavy, I guess you can skip that advice.

* Axes (acess to ranged) and maces
    Inquisitory, gonna use Carsomyr.
    * 2hand swords, longswords
    P* robably add qstaffs for second line melee and/or shortswords(kundane)/longswords
    Half Orc Swashbuckler, staying swashy or to be dual'd to mage at ~10 (depending on your skills, I would skip stealth and only go for lockpick, traps and pickpocket)
    * Go for scimis and katas, prepping for UAI
    F/C or Berzerker, to be dual'd to cleric at ~7 or even sooner.
    * Flails and hammers

Good to see yet another old school player coming back; welcome to the community!
  • FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452

hadowdancer is actually a great idea, but since I will have a cleric I'll stick with Inquisitor due to massive dispelling ability. My plan is to do a few quests then hit up Firkraag for that sweet loot then just snowball through most of SoA

On second thought I think swashbucklers also fit well with your team, since they are more like warriors. Shadowdancers are a lot of fun, but the drawback is they don't have set trap skill. I always found Firkraag very hard to kill without strong magic and/or traps.

You might want to have one of your berzerkers be a barbarian instead, since both have different immunities (barbarian rage protects from level drain, berzerker from imprisonment).
    edited June 2015
    Skatan said:

* Axes (acess to ranged) and maces

Only REALLY good mace i can think of is Mace of Disruption. But my last playthrough was around '08 so feel free to suggest another :neutral:
    Skatan said:

Inquisitory, gonna use Carsomyr.
    * 2hand swords, longswords

I can't remember, can Paladins use The Wave? If so adding Halberd pips wouldn't be a bad idea.
    Skatan said:

P* robably add qstaffs for second line melee and/or shortswords(kundane)/longswords

I always gave my Archer Arbane then Sword of the Mask later on.
    Skatan said:

Half Orc Swashbuckler, staying swashy or to be dual'd to mage at ~10 (depending on your skills, I would skip stealth and only go for lockpick, traps and pickpocket)
    * Go for scimis and katas, prepping for UAI

I've only made a stealth-oriented thief once during my solo assassin playthrough, rest of the time i took either Fighter/Thief or Swashy and NEVER went for stealth, always went more Pickpocket/Detect traps. Since i always make it a point to "visit" everyone that sells PoTM to take care of any early locks that i can't get (i've always started around 120/85/85 and never had any issues detecting a trap or opening a door in SoA)
    Skatan said:

F/C or Berzerker, to be dual'd to cleric at ~7 or even sooner.
    * Flails and hammers

Was my original plan.
    Skatan said:

Good to see yet another old school player coming back; welcome to the community!

Many thanks :smiley:

Post edited by AgrielAdarei on
    edited June 2015
    Francois said:

On second thought I think swashbucklers also fit well with your team, since they are more like warriors. Shadowdancers are a lot of fun, but the drawback is they don't have set trap skill. I always found Firkraag very hard to kill without strong magic and/or traps.

never thought about setting traps around Firky, that's actually brilliant. I've always just used Aerial Servants w/ 3+ Fighter types and bum-rushed him.
    Francois said:

You might want to have one of your berzerkers be a barbarian instead, since both have different immunities (barbarian rage protects from level drain, berzerker from imprisonment).

Never made a Barbarian before (which is odd since i've been addicted to Barbarians on D2 and D3). The lack of weapon proficiencies & no plate mail kind of deterred me. Any other unlisted advantages?
    Post edited by AgrielAdarei on
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I'm pretty sure berserker rage also protections from level drain, although I wouldn't swear to it.

The biggest barbarian-specific advantage, imo, is the damage resistance they get at high levels. As AC becomes less important, DR becomes moreso, and the barbarian eventually out-tanks the berserker. Other less obvious advantages include strong lock-smashing ability with rage early-game, and the ability to heal when resting/travelling by using the Con boost from rage. Overall I'd say they're competitive, gaining more damage early-game and more tanking late-game, but they are weaker for a bit in the mid-game.
    Jarrakul said:

I'm pretty sure berserker rage also protections from level drain, although I wouldn't swear to it.

The biggest barbarian-specific advantage, imo, is the damage resistance they get at high levels. As AC becomes less important, DR becomes moreso, and the barbarian eventually out-tanks the berserker. Other less obvious advantages include strong lock-smashing ability with rage early-game, and the ability to heal when resting/travelling by using the Con boost from rage. Overall I'd say they're competitive, gaining more damage early-game and more tanking late-game, but they are weaker for a bit in the mid-game.

Thank you for the insight. That being said my mid-game is going to suffer as it is due to very little Arcane/Divine magic. That coupled with Barbs being unable to dual-class. I think i will make one when me and my friend reach BG2.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Hmm, well, I've completed the series with a Barbarian protagonist, and it was fun ... but on the whole, I reckon a Berzerker is stronger.

@Jarrakul is correct that Berzerker Rage protects from level drain just like Barbarian Rage, but only Berzerker Rage protects from Imprisonment, and that's important in certain situations.

A particular weakness of Barbarians, which @Jarrakul forgot to mention, is the armour restriction. A Berzerker can wear any armour, whereas a Barbarian can wear at most Scale Armour, i.e. not Plate. Eventually you'll find an excellent Scale Armour which is as good as Plate, but not until BG2:ToB. Thus you have to play the whole of BG1 and BG2:SoA with an AC-handicap, and AC is particularly important in those earlier stages, so this is quite a significant difference for a front-liner. IMO, this difference tips the overall balance in favour of the Berzerker.

In any case, since @AgrielAdarei is planning to dual-class those characters, they have to be Berzerkers because Barbarians can't dual.
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    I doubt I can bring much new material into this conversation but I do like how you've built the party. I play mostly melee-heavy parties myself. That said, if you were to bring a 6th party member into this, it might be a Mage/Cleric. Even if it is just for early-game utility, it still would ease the curve which it takes for your zerks to reach their full potential.

Also, consider making the Zercler a Ranger/Cleric instead. That would give you access to those awesome druid spells as well. Iron Skins is particularly useful when wading into melee. Rage is a great thing to have when dualing into a mage, but with the cleric it becomes redundant. Clerics already have spells like Chaotic Commands or Free Action to counter almost any kind of CC. Ultimately, it's a question whether you want Grand Mastery or Druid Spells, which are both major game-changers.

Finally, paladins can use any weapons they want to, there are no restrictions. Putting pips into halberds may be a good idea since they do have plenty of pips to spare. I would, however, put pips into crossbows first. Since your Inquisitor is going to be using spells in some fights, a ranged weapon may be needed for the downtime. I think a crossbow is most fitting, and they come pretty great as well.

PS. Storm Star is the only party-friendly AoE weapon in the game, and it is a +5 mace. IMO, it is one of the best weapons in BG2, but others may disagree.
    I'd like to thank everyone for their input, as i've already made the party, dual'd 1 of the zerkers to Clerics at 9, soon to dual my other to Mage(12), killed Firkraag, basically snowballing quest-by-quest through SoA.
    Yannir said:

PS. Storm Star is the only party-friendly AoE weapon in the game, and it is a +5 mace. IMO, it is one of the best weapons in BG2, but others may disagree.

I remember that now, it was really powerful on one of my old Fighter/clerics, thanks for reminding me.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Yannir What do you mean Inquisitor going to be using spells? They don't get paladin spellcasting, and even if they did paladin's aren't spell slingers.
    edited June 2015

@Yannir What do you mean Inquisitor going to be using spells? They don't get paladin spellcasting, and even if they did paladin's aren't spell slingers.

Inquisitors get Dispel Magic and Truesight, that's what he's talking about.
    Yannir said:

Finally, paladins can use any weapons they want to, there are no restrictions. Putting pips into halberds may be a good idea since they do have plenty of pips to spare. I would, however, put pips into crossbows first. Since your Inquisitor is going to be using spells in some fights, a ranged weapon may be needed for the downtime. I think a crossbow is most fitting, and they come pretty great as well.

Got him using Firetooth currently :smile:
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    Aw, if you hadn't finished making a team, a Skald is one of the best possible matches for a mostly warrior party. +5 damage per hit as well as making most attacks only-miss-on-a-1, combined with GWW HLAs? Things drop like flies. I think the damage output and survivability MIGHT be slightly higher than adding a Berz/Mage to the mix, but that might just be my opinion. Good luck!
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595

@AgrielAdarei said it. I didn't mean that they consistently sling spells for the entire fight, it's juts that in many instances, especially against mages, they need to cast both disablers, True Sight and Dispel Magic. Since they are both on a casting time of 1, there's a 5-second downtime between the spells. You can fill that downtime with missile weapons. And meleeing during that downtime isn't such a good idea.

Got him using Firetooth currently :smile:

Precisely what I was thinking. :wink:
    edited June 2015
    Neverused said:

Aw, if you hadn't finished making a team, a Skald is one of the best possible matches for a mostly warrior party. +5 damage per hit as well as making most attacks only-miss-on-a-1, combined with GWW HLAs? Things drop like flies. I think the damage output and survivability MIGHT be slightly higher than adding a Berz/Mage to the mix, but that might just be my opinion. Good luck!

I'm in total love with this game man, over the 2 weeks i've had it i've added 200 hours, i plan on making several playthroughs ;). All-in-all i never really fooled with Bards, but looking at the kit the Skald seems really interesting, i'll definitely try it out with the Barbarian on my next run (shouldn't be too long, just killed Irenicus playing with my dad with this group).