Skip to content

Plants are soothing!

KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
Seeing as we have now an animal thread and a mushroom thread, I felt it is high time for the plants to take their rightful place on this forum!

So here we go. Whenever you want to talk about your favourite plant, seeking out botanic tips for your pot plants, or want share your findings of creating a shambling mound, treant or dryad doesn't matter. Feel free to post anything related to the plant world in here!

Personally, I always enjoy to have some additional greenery in my home. My personal current favourite is a medium sized Nepenthes crossbreed I recently purchased, which now hangs on my balcon. It's a tad smaller than the pictured plant below, but the crossbreed appears to be the same.

Comments

• RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    Beautiful! I feel the same way about ferns. Ancient, elegant, primeval.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoL1dg3SzOI

WOW!

After watching this magnificient time laps video, I'm eager on getting yet another carnivorous plant for my balcon~
    The Drosera genus in particular looks really tempting to me. :3
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    At last... A thread I can bring the truly enlightened into the leafy embrace of the one true faith!

*Runs out side and starts taking pictures for later...*
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    Are there rules about which plants you can't talk about? :p

Are there rules about which plants you can't talk about? :p

Brussels sprouts and everything within the Coffea genus!

... is what I want to say. But no, there are no such rules in here. Well, just remember to use some common sense and preferable stay with plants that won't let you see funny images when chilling. :p
  • Amber_ScottAmber_Scott Member Posts: 513
    Has anyone sprouted a cutting of ivy to replant? I want to try but never have.
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    I have, several times. I’ve done it using a bit of rooting hormone, and without. Both worked fairly well. I just use my regular potting mix, well moistened. Peal back the bark from the parts of the cuttings that go into the dirt, maybe about 2-3 inches. The trick for me was to tent the cuttings under plastic until they rooted. I killed plenty of them at first by letting them dry out. :) They usually take for me in about a month or so. It’s always a good idea to put down more cuttings than you think you will need for your finished plant, in case some of them don’t take hold.
  • Amber_ScottAmber_Scott Member Posts: 513
    Thanks!! I may try it this weekend, then.
    This long drought coupled with a severe burning sun slowely takes its toll on my bog plants. :/
    Maybe it's time to get some heat hardier plants for the summer. Like Lithops, or living stones, for example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO_oJrZyguk

I mean, plants that camouflage as pebbles? As Mr. Spock would say: "Fascinating!"