Skip to content

Imoen or Nalia?

13»

Comments

• JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    Przemkas said:

I don't like Nalia - personally I'm a good guy, but her over the top goodness just makes me wanna puke. Question time! I always perceived Imoen as a thief, never used her as a mage. Someone said that she is second best after Edwin - what say you? I'm thinking about giving her a go as my main spellcaster and thief at the same time. Thanks for feedback.

She isn't the second best to Edwin, Nalia is. The only reason why is because you can have Nalia with you (if you choose to) for two thirds of SoA so she is therefore perfect fodder for spell gobbleage whereas Imoen's spellbook remains dry and barren for a long long time. Nalia will also be of a higher level and a more competent mage than Imoen by the time you pick her up. Still, there's no reason why you couldn't horde a load of spells for Imoen's return, just that might affect your team a little. If there's one thing I've learnt from playing Baldur's Gate, is to not horde potions, scrolls and other one use items.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    edited October 2012
    cyberhawk said:

And Imoen has high dexterity, so she has potential at using bows as well.

Nalia has the same dext (18) and can also use bows.

She isn't the second best to Edwin, Nalia is. The only reason why is because you can have Nalia with you (if you choose to) for two thirds of SoA so she is therefore perfect fodder for spell gobbleage whereas Imoen's spellbook remains dry and barren for a long long time. Nalia will also be of a higher level and a more competent mage than Imoen by the time you pick her up.

Agreed.

As a mage, Nalia is second ONLY to Edwin - and I'd argue that she's a better all-around char than Edwin. She has better all-around stats (ie: better str and dext), can be a decent archer, has a ring that gives her big protective bonuses, and while her thieving skills aren't great, they can be bulked up and used in a pinch. Plus, she won't clash with other party members, and you won't have to worry about your rep getting "too high."
  • BeetleBeetle Member Posts: 46
    edited October 2012
    I always take Imoen - can't leave little sis behind. I usually only take Nalia if I'm using the deArnise romance mod (tied with Keto and Fade for "mod that most needs a ToB portion") or the Auren mod (Auren romances Nalia)

I've read elsewhere that Imoen's silence in SoA is because the original plan was to have her not make it out of Spellhold alive (she'd turn slayer and attack), but I'm not sure if that's true or not. The Imoen Friendship mod from Spellhold Studios does a good job of filling the silence.
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    IF i am playing Good
    i end SoA w/ both Nalia & Imoen...& Aerie; Aerie is the only multi-class character i have in my party if i can help it (sorry Jan-lovers)...
    having 2 hi-lvl wiz's makes for great firepower & Aerie, whilst not strong at any one thing, has a spell for all occasions...it's a pity they gave Aerie a wounded, whiny personality...
    if i play Evil Nalia, Imoen, & Aerie all end up taking a dirt nap
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Beetle said:

I've read elsewhere that Imoen's silence in SoA is because the original plan was to have her not make it out of Spellhold alive (she'd turn slayer and attack), but I'm not sure if that's true or not.

Words cannot describe how much I would have hated SoA if this had actually been implemented.