Skip to content

Feeling very stuck

I've heard a lot of great things about Baldur's Gate and decided to get it from the App Store. I'm on a Mac OS 10.10 and I'm very new to the series. I'm ashamed to admit I'm trying to find a God mod or something similar because I can't get anywhere without dying at least 3 times. Can I have some advice on how to really get playing effectively? I've just set up a new character, a human but haven't done anything. I understand about quests and stuff and ran through the tutorial but I'm still rather above my head

Comments

• SertoriusSertorius Member Posts: 172
    edited July 2015
    A little more info is needed here. You race is human, but what is your class, stats, weapon proficiencies and spells if applicable.

As a new player, the fighter class is probably the easiest class to play at low levels.

There is also the option to enable the console, which allows cheats if that is the way for you. Here is a link describing what needs to be done http://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/16320/mac-faq/p1
  • Meri20098Meri20098 Member Posts: 31
    Thank you so much everyone! I have another question along the same lines. I don't understand the leveling process. I can click level up but I can't distribute skill points. Is there a guide to getting started somewhere that I can take a look at, not that I don't love and appreciate the advice but so I can get a better understanding without always having to ask questions
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Some classes don't have much interaction at level up, they just get a fixed increase in basic skills and hit points... fighters, for instance just get better at hitting things and better at getting hit. Spell casters get access to new spell-slots through their spellbook. Thieves are probably the most involved levelling process, as they have to allocate skill points each time.

The manual contains some good stuff to know, and is available at:
    http://www.beamdog.com/files/bg2ee/bg2eemanual2.pdf

Another site I use is:
    http://playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php?title=Baldur's_Gate

Which is all about how to power-play.

There are various walkthroughs out there, but I don't really know any.

It's a very complex game, which was put together for a different era... the best way is probably just trial and (a lot of) error.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    A good starter for playing the Baldur's Gate games (as well as Icewind Dale 1) is the AD&D Rules FAQ by Dan Simpson, that gives an explanation of the 2nd Edition Advanced Dungeons & Dragons ruleset used in the game

The 2nd Edition AD&D ruleset can be very counterintuitive for someone not used to it (such as Armour Class (AC): lower is beter, To Hit Armour Class 0 (Thac0): lower is better, Saving Throws: again, lower is better, while with the To Hit roll and Saving Throw roll (the computer rolls the dice for you), you hope to role as high as possible). Dan Simpson gives a thorough explanation of the basics.

As for your question on level-up: only with the thief class there are skills that need points to be distributed. Most benefits of level-up happen automatically, such as better Thac0 and access to new spell slots if you're a spellcaster. More info: http://playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php/Baldur's_Gate:_Progression_Charts

One final advice: read as much as you can handle about the rules of the game, but avoid walkthroughs that spoil the story for you. You can only experience the wonder and surprise of you first playthrough once! Any old-time BG player will give you gold just to experience the game in a first-hand way without meta-gaming knowledge.
    Thank you both so much!!! I bookmarked it for future reference
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I should also plug a guide I wrote a while back. Not the most detailed thing, but it might help you get a general idea of how the game works.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1skil_G19ymIplOdfU8y6NWLTLkHUBwZsTihb3oFk5bU/
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    Nice guide @Jarrakul I still find myself getting confused sometimes when it comes to some of the game’s time measurements.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Thanks. :D

Yeah, time was one of the things I felt most needed clarification. It's just not evident what the game means all the time, and that's a pretty big deal when you're dealing with things like spell durations.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2015
    I made an NPC guide for BGEE (there is also one for BG2EE on Steam) awhile back. If you are looking to get ideas for general strategies for NPC's you may want to check it out.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=183524786
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Alot of good advice above, but here are a few simple things to ease your first playthrough:

Creating your character (first one): I would go with fighter/cleric multiclass. In the beginning, just focus on adding healing spells and try to weave additional buffing spells into your gameplay slowly as you advance. This way you will learn to slowly make buffing an essential part of your tactics. Fighters can breeze through most of the game, but if you add in some simple spells you will will learn much. Race doesn't

Creating your character (second one): After you've tried, and maybe failed with the first char, create a new one and use the experience from the first few hours of gaming to make the second char stronger.

Positioning: Put your stronger characters in the front, your weaker in the back. Sounds simplistic and you prolly already know this, but it makes everything easier when/if your low-HP chars aren't attacked all the time.

Potions and wands: Don't be afraid to use them! There's plenty of potions around; "Drink'em if you got'em". Also, wands can be used and replenished (sell and re-buy). There's plenty of wands around as well.

I can vouche for Elminster's NPC guides. They are very good, although they include some spoilers of course.

• ThalamondThalamond Member Posts: 108
    Make sure that your character, no matter the class, has a bit of constitution otherwise it is instant death as you describe it :-).
  • Mikey205Mikey205 Member Posts: 307
    Dexterity is also crucial. Overall at levels 1-2 DnD 2ed is very luck based with everything capable of delivering a 1 hit kill or incapacitating you long enough to do so. Reloading can often give a completely different outcome. This balances out as you get more levels.
  • vyvexthornevyvexthorne Member Posts: 58
    Start off the game on the easiest setting.. you can always change it later.
    Make sure that under the auto pause menu you have "Enemy Sighted" and "Trap Spotted" checked.
    Get used to the space bar.. it pauses the game.. it's your friend.
    Easy starting tactic: Give everyone missile weapons. Shoot from a distance and when an enemy get's close to one of your characters, run away while the rest of your group keeps attacking. Running around in circles might seem rather lame but if you watch any solo run/speed run video you'll see that it's one of the most used ploy's.
    Saving has been brought up before but I'll just reiterate .. Save! Save! Save!
    Quicksave.. Reassign this key to something really easy to hit.. like Q. Before a fight: Q. After a fight Q.
    Make permanent saves at the start of each new area in case you really feel you blew it.
    Completely explore each area you enter. You find lots of goodies and will level up faster. You might come across an enemy that's too tough.. but you can run away and come back later. Trying to speed through the maps to get where quests are might seem the way to go but you'll soon find yourself facing overly tough enemies.
    Rest a lot. Resting is good. (sometimes you might get attacked when resting outside.. Just reload and try resting again.)
    The game is filled with Thieves and Mages.. but what you really want are healers.. They buff up your party up and keep you safe. Branwen is probably the first Cleric you'll come across.. Grab a stone to flesh scroll from a temple and carry it around with you until you meet her.
    Party composition is important to a degree. If you're playing a thief you don't really need to worry about picking up other thieving characters.
    Once you find a party you like.. stick with it. These games throw tons of companion characters at you.. While they can be fun it can also be kind of a nuisance.