Skip to content

Hello omnipresent authority figure!

Well hello there omnipresent authority figure, I have humbly come seeking your guidance. I want to do a run if BG2 possible TOB as well with only 2-4 characters. Using core rules. Here are the guidelines I've set for this play

This is not a no reload metagame run. I have neither the patience of tolerance for that.

Core rules of course.

Viconia core party member, I want to take her into the under dark and see what's happens.

I'm playing either a wild mage or generalist (big shocker there to anyone who has been in any of my past posts.) I'm not dual or multiclassing, that is not my style when it comes to arcane classes.

I'm not playing a sorcerer, it conflicts with my current neutral character play through, that and I prefer a mages versatility.

I'm only resting in small area s with one entrance when in dungeons. (RP reasons, its a lot more safer defending one choke point then getting flanked in a large open space.)

Delimmas I currently face.

I have 2 wild mages I can import, both have extremely low reputations, which leads me to always having to deal with guards at the very beginning when I don't have any equipment at all. They are both chaotic evil, but one is level 10 and the other is level 27.with the level 27 I can/have cheesed the cowl wizards and guards by simply casting planatar and making them her bitch. But I for the love of Bahamut do not know how you all beat the cowl wizards early game in a fair fight. Even if you get past the first four waves, the fifth has a mage using that necromancer howl and the sixth rapes you with time stop.

Dealing with the constant price increase due to my non benevolent ways. I'll need to rush the robes of vecna.

So any advice ol' omni one?

Comments

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    First , I'd like to say that I really like your roleplaying reasons, perhaps because they're similar to my own . The only thing I avoid doing is having less than five people , because I really love npc interaction.

As for the first part, running a mage along with viconia and two other characters, I'd suggest that you take Jaheira (with strenght belt and good armor+good shield she kicks ass) , because she'll reach level 11 quite fast, which allows access to fire elemental summoning and other powerful spells. For NPC number 4 I'd probably take Jan, so you can have thieving skills and some magical firepower (you can even replace him with imoen at chapter 3, if you wish to have your sister back in the party). With such a party you can make up for your supposed lack of strong fighters with good summons and lots of disabling spells , and illusions/abjurations to keep you from close combat.

Elementals and Aerial Servants are very good summons, until you can summon skeleton warriors , mordie swords and the like.

• DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    Thanks for the reply, with the for man group, I was actually looking at dorn and hexxat. But I do want to avoid those two because I always run to them. I didn't choose Jaheira because on one play through that I accidentally saved over, I made her so mad that she left. And this was with the imported chaotic wild mage who was already hated by the world. But I do enjoy Jaheira and Viconia's back and forth and I've never used Jan before.

Summons were definitely going to play a important part,especially since I have a fondness for mr floating Sword and the planatar. The first requiring wild magic to summon if I don't just use my level 27 wild mage. Who pretty much has every spell. The blackpits, allowing us to import/export over leveled characters since bgee.

Yet I'm still trying to figure out which spell sequences people use to bother get all the mages defense up, and then murder cc/murder everything. I know casting buffs before obvious fights, but what about those encounters that just put a whole group of enemies right next to you, of enemies that just completely tear down defense. Especially before getting spells like mislead.
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    edited July 2015
    Spell Trigger: PfMW, Stoneskin (some people may want to swap this for Mislead...), Protection from Magical Energy
    Spell Sequencer: Haste, Improved Invisibility (...in which case you may want to place Stoneskin here), Mirror Image
    Minor Sequencer: Blur (or Vocalize, if Amulet of Power isn't in the play yet), Shield
    The 8-hour Spell Trap from Staff of the Magi always active.
    Contingency: PfMW Condition: On hit (triggers when you run out your initial PfMW) or helpless (triggers if you are stunned or etc..)
    Chain Contingency: Whatever, all your bases are already covered.

This should cover all of the most important damage types. It doesn't cover breath weapons but dragons are almost the only ones that may do that. On all of those fights, you have a chance to pre-buff whatever damage immunities you need. Give Viconia all of the gear that would do this otherwise, like Cloak of Mirroring, Ring of Spell Turning, etc..

Edit: I realized later that you can fill CCg with SI: Abjuration, SI: Divination and SI: Alteration for total spell removal immunity.
    Post edited by Yannir on