Skip to content

I Am Going To Hate On Baldur's Gate...

UnseeyingEyeUnseeyingEye Member Posts: 48
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance that is!

Does anybody else despise these games? I admit I enjoyed them. They were fun, not great by any means but I enjoyed them. But as the years have passed I have learned to resent them.

Why? Because they tarnish the Baldur's Gate name. I'm certainly among the youngest people on this forum... the Infinity Engine games were before my time. So if I ever try to tell my friends about Baldur's Gate (not expecting them to know about it) and one of them sometimes says, "yeah that was a good game" I am always shocked! At first I am happy but then, "Wait... did you play it on PC?". The answer is always no...

Dark Alliance, an average game, is better known amongst the gaming community (at least the younger generations) than Baldur's Gate. I feel like BG has been robbed of its fame and its rightful place... like its name has been misused. So anyone else feel like this?

Comments

• alannahsmithalannahsmith Member Posts: 143
    I just (literally not 8 hours ago) had this conversation with my brother! I agree with you 100%!
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Not really. I enjoyed them both, they were good champions of norrath style games, and were even better coop. I do agree that they weren't in anyway related to the original baldurrs gate games though, but this happens all the time in franchises - Think super mario land and mario rpg.
  • EilerEiler Member Posts: 93
    I tried it a few times but I much prefer other games of that (sub) genre over BG: Dark Alliance. The Witcher I and II for example.

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance that is!

Does anybody else despise these games? I admit I enjoyed them. They were fun, not great by any means but I enjoyed them. But as the years have passed I have learned to resent them.

Why? Because they tarnish the Baldur's Gate name. I'm certainly among the youngest people on this forum... the Infinity Engine games were before my time. So if I ever try to tell my friends about Baldur's Gate (not expecting them to know about it) and one of them sometimes says, "yeah that was a good game" I am always shocked! At first I am happy but then, "Wait... did you play it on PC?". The answer is always no...

Dark Alliance, an average game, is better known amongst the gaming community (at least the younger generations) than Baldur's Gate. I feel like BG has been robbed of its fame and its rightful place... like its name has been misused. So anyone else feel like this?

• sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    BG:DA2 is one of my favorite games ever made. My brother and I spent countless hours plowing through it. (For the record, my top 3 games of all time are FF Tactics, the PC Baldur's Gate saga and Dota/Dota2 in that order. Dark Alliance 2 is maybe in my top 20.)

Would have preferred if it didn't have the Baldur's Gate name attached to it though, simply to avoid confusion when talking about it with people.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance... I'm old. Could you play that on a 486?
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    The only thing I remember about Dark Alliance is drow tits.
  • theJoshFrosttheJoshFrost Member Posts: 171

BG:DA2 is one of my favorite games ever made. My brother and I spent countless hours plowing through it. (For the record, my top 3 games of all time are FF Tactics, the PC Baldur's Gate saga and Dota/Dota2 in that order. Dark Alliance 2 is maybe in my top 20.)

Would have preferred if it didn't have the Baldur's Gate name attached to it though, simply to avoid confusion when talking about it with people.

Some one else's favorite game is FF Tactics, too? BROTHER!!!!!!!

I like the DA games. They may be less annoying to explain to people without the Baldur's Gate name, but, I don't care that much. I actually just purchased DA2 off amazon, and it's on its way here right now. Going to play that while I wait for BG:EE.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190

Emphasis mine. I think we need to have babies, sandman. *flutters eyelashes*

As for Dark Alliance, I only played the first one for a little bit, and stopped after getting repeatedly gangbanged by gelatinous cubes. Except for Diablo, I don't think there's a single Champions of Norrath-like game I can handle without coop.
  • MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863
    Dark Alliance was ok for a console game. It was a cakewalk after unlocking and playing as Drizzt. Gives me another reason to waste him in BG1 :).
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    I'm not surprised there's other FFT fans among the BG crowd. Strategy RPGs for lief! The fact that game never got a proper sequel is a crime against gamers.
  • MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863
    Yeah, BG:DA3 (hinted at at the end of DA2) looked like it actually might be worthwhile, too bad it never got made any more than BG3 (I guess there are hopes for the latter now though).
  • theJoshFrosttheJoshFrost Member Posts: 171

I'm not surprised there's other FFT fans among the BG crowd. Strategy RPGs for lief! The fact that game never got a proper sequel is a crime against gamers.

Seriously. FFTA was balls. HATED that game.

Miloch said:

Yeah, BG:DA3 (hinted at at the end of DA2) looked like it actually might be worthwhile, too bad it never got made any more than BG3 (I guess there are hopes for the latter now though).

Who knows, maybe the new Black Isle will make DA3. I have my doubts that it would be any good, but still.

• CrazedSlayerCrazedSlayer Member Posts: 130
    Dark Alliance looked like a huge step back to me in terms of party interaction, so I chose to never play it, but I was ticked off that it held the Baldurs Gate name -.-
  • ChippyChippy Member Posts: 241
    edited September 2012
    Sceptenar said:

The only thing I remember about Dark Alliance is drow tits.

You forgot the taverkeeper in the Elfsong tavern (I forgot her name, but remember the physics).
    Miloch said:

Who knows, maybe the new Black Isle will make DA3. I have my doubts that it would be any good, but still.

Maybe someone should send Hearve Caen (Interplay boss) an email telling him that BG:DDA3 should be made - "An ancient evil race of flesh eating undead weasels have returned, and only the bustiest heroines can save Faerun".

I think they'd go for it. :)
  • neur0neur0 Member Posts: 83
    We do not hate as long as we still attach a lesser value, but only when we attach an equal or a greater value.
    Friedrich Nietzsche
  • AnduineAnduine Member Posts: 416
    @Unseeingeye: By all means, hate on it at your discretion. I despise the Dark Alliance series, and it has unfortunately done some tarnish to the real series. When I brought up the original series to a couple of my friends who only know Baldur's Gate as DA, all they could do was grumble, because they too did not like the DA series.

It looks like it is up to Overhaul Games to help restore Order.
  • thepermtheperm Member Posts: 23
    I played the first Dark Alliance it was okay... cool to unlock Drizzt. I started the second but never finished. Don't mind them so much. Of course the originals are the shizznit
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Both Dark Alliance games were fun, they're just not the same type of RPG as the PC Baldur's Gate games.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Yeah, agreed. I have had plenty of friends say "oh yeah Baldur's Gate was cool." I'm like "so you mean Dark Alliance?" "yeah." "FML"

I've only had one friend who actually knew the original Baldur's Gate (and Icewind Dale). Was a pretty big shock I might add, as Baldur's Gate came out when I was 4 and so it came out when he was 3.