Skip to content

Recap of SoD presentation and Q/A session

2»

Comments

• Mikey205Mikey205 Member Posts: 307
    Wow I got to say beautiful looking areas. Was a bit worried about that the BG1EE areas because I felt like the art style didn't really fit and they didn't look as good as the base game. Here it all looks way better. The new interface looks amazing too. Also I definitely think they've recorded new battle and selection lines for party members which is cool.
    ArdulGreenWarlockJuliusBorisov
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited July 2015
    Jalily said:

Mornmagor said:

I wanted to ask the devs, how come you decided to create so many new areas which needs 3D modeling, but you decided to keep the pixelated nightmares aka character sprites? >.>

Is it that costly to the point it's not worth it at all? :<</p>

Yes.
    I was mostly referring to creating new ones, like new areas, not edit existing sprites when the base 3D models are missing.

The money involved i can discuss.

The looking out of place argument, i don't agree with, since new areas were created from scratch as well.

Basically they'd need money to pay for some 3D artists to create these new models.

I certainly hope we can expect something like that for the time you guys decide to create something outside of Baldur's Gate(or Baldur's Gate 3).
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    edited July 2015
    Mornmagor said:

I was mostly referring to creating new ones, like new areas, not edit existing sprites when the base 3D models are missing.

The money involved i can discuss.

The looking out of place argument, i don't agree with, since new areas were created from scratch as well.

Basically they'd need money to pay for some 3D artists to create these new models.

I certainly hope we can expect something like that for the time you guys decide to create something outside of Baldur's Gate(or Baldur's Gate 3).

I get the feeling that it might actually take longer to make new 3D models based on the existing sprites (if they don't look like the originals many people would be upset). They would have to make models for every gender, race, and armor combination in addition to every monster in the game. After the models are made then each of the animations would have to be made (walking, fighting, etc...) to match the originals. All in all, not a small undertaking.

Also during the live steam it looks like some work has been done to the original sprites, they look a bit better at full zoom now (check out at the 1h10min46sec mark).

Edit: also want to add that I think it would be harder to make these models then it is to make an area, since a majority of the things in an area don't move around.
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited July 2015
    It is a big undertaking, but it is considered pretty standard in this era.

It's not about the effort, it's about the cost vs the sales it would contribute to raising, if i can guess. If they don't consider it worth it in sales, then they would just spend time and money for practically nothing, so i can understand why it's not happening, although i can't say i like it.

I always dreamt of playing my favorite BG2 with improved armor visuals :]
    Faydark
  • miker60miker60 Member Posts: 20
    Shin said:

- Romances from BG:EE carry over.

- No stronghold.

While they did confirm romances during the Q&A I found Trent's choice of words interesting. He confirmed "Romance-type things" I wonder if he was just being tongue in cheek or if they have some new NPC relationship systems in mind to track friendships and loyalties and character growth and development based on dialogue tree choices.

I wonder if, while you'll have no stronghold, you might be given "stronghold type things" as you manage the besieging army and its camp (if that's the direction the story goes).